Where Were We Before Cell Phones And Selfies?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Diane Lane, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

The best part of this is the narrated video at bottom left. I don't like how self-obsessed and superficial many people are these days, so the selfie picture bothered me. it's sad that they're so busy focusing on their cell phones, rather than enjoying the experience and being out with friends. http://www.click2houston.com/news/g...6?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KPRC2 Do you think when they're older, they'll reminisce about being at the ball game on their phones, taking selfies in the stands?

2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Here's a fun little item, for when you're in a devilish mood. It's a cell phone jammer that runs on a rechargeable battery. Some models have a long range. This company has TV and other jammers too.
    http://www.twowill.com/productlist.php?itemid=60

Diane Lane and Brittany Houser like this.
  3. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Ike, I love this! I didn't even know there was such a thing as a cell phone jammer! Imagine how nice it would be to have one of these in a public setting. No more yakking people sitting next to you at dinner! No more rude people, holding up the line at the bank or supermarket! :mad: I think I might order one. :D

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Where were we? We were tethered to a nice solid wall, or sitting in a comfortable chair, when we talked on the phone. (Except for when the 25 foot cord stretched out, over the stove burner and we were "cut off"!) ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Avigail David and Diane Lane like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Guess I'm just too "techy", because wife and I, both in our mid 60's, like doing a "selfie" of ourselves and love our iPhones. I do a number of things with my Apple iPhone 6 and she loves playing games on her Apple iPhone 4s. She bought me a Selfie Stick for my birthday last June and I love it. I don't use it much, but it sure comes in handy when we want to take a photo of ourselves somewhere (at an event). It extends out longer than my arm does, so I get a better pic with my iPhone. However, we don't disturb others with our Selfie Stick. We use it and then put it away and use our digital camera.

It's like I tell a lot of older folks (Baby Boomers (like us) and older): Welcome to 2015! If we were to "go back in time" to the good old Lassie days, we would have our laptop and iPhones with us.

IOW, we love our electronics!

As far as standing in line behind someone who is showing the cashier a coupon or discount scan bar on their iPhone.........you wouldn't want to be behind us, because we do just that. We have stores membership discount scanning bars on both of our iPhones, called Key Ring. Sure beats the heck out of carrying around a number of membership discount cards from different merchants.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Diane Lane

Registered

Ha, there's a festival at our beach this weekend. If I had one of these, I'd have a blast down there watching how upset everyone would get when their phones wouldn't work. The ironic thing about the beach here is that cell phones barely work in the houses, but everyone's got 5 bars and perfect reception at the beach, which is the farthest thing away from the roads and any potential cell towers.

Ike Willis likes this.
  8. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm going to buy one secretly. I'm not going to tell my husband and teens. I'll use it when I'm busy in the kitchen and they're just sitting around at their phones/computers. Do these jamming devices work with computers?

Diane Lane and Ike Willis like this.
  9. Ike Willis

Registered

There's a wifi jammer available. Pay attention to the range of the one you're interested in. Some have shorter ranges than others. 1 meter is a bit over 3 feet.

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I get poor reception in my house on my cell, I must go outside to talk on the phone. If I got better reception I may be more inclined to use the phone more and be as single minded as I see some people. I do like to listen to music on my phone.

12. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess in a way I am still in the stone age. I have a very old trac phone and I do not take selfies. I find that I feel offended by people that whip out their phones and start to do stuff in the middle of a conversation. It is rude and makes me feel like maybe they are not that interested in a conversation with me, so why did they bother getting together?

For the most part I really do not like the phone at all. I have to answer it all day at work and most of the people are not happy on the other end. Small wonder why I have a phone aversion. I don't mind texts so much, they can be helpful, and as much as social media is interesting, it is also pretty slanted and selfish. True you find some really cool stuff, but people need to be a bit more private with their thoughts and opinions I think. As they say a time and a place for everything.

Diane Lane and Ike Willis like this.
  13. Ike Willis

Registered

Phones are the cause of some of my high BP. My voice doesn't work so well these days and breaks when I talk. So, what happens when I get a call from my insurance company's automated caller?
    Insurance co.-"This call is for Ike Willis. We need to verify if this is Ike Willis. If this is Ike Willis answer yes".
    Me- "yes", Hoarsely.
    Them-"I'm sorry, could you repeat that"?
    I rasp out another "Yes".
    Them-"We seem to be having difficulty understanding your answers. Using your phone buttons, punch in your birthdate".
    Me-I poke in my birth date.
    Them-"I'm sorry, could you try again".
    About then I hang up, violently.
    They could save a lot of time and trouble just by having a person call me. I refuse to talk to a robot.

14. Diane Lane

Registered

I have an ex-fiance who just would not get off the phone. We'd be out to dinner, and he would sometimes spend almost the entire time on the phone, discussing work, despite having been told how rude I found it. Eventually, the negative outweighed the positive, and we broke up. Ironically, I got to hear how upset he was about the break up because his phone butt dialed me while he was discussing the matter.

Ike Willis likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have an iPhone 5 that my daughter Robin gave me, and I mostly just use it like a regular phone, although I am actually using more of the smart-phone functions on it as I go along. I have never been a big phone person anyway; so I actually do not even use it for calling unless it is a necesssary call.

I do love the camera on the iPhone, and gave away my old Casio digital camera because I simply had no use for the camera any more. With the phone, I can take a picture, and it is immediately also sent to my iPad. when I sync with the iTunes on the computer, then it also puts my new pictures on the computer as well.
    I no longer have to bother with docking the camera and attaching it to the computer to upload pictures, and I love that part !
    I seldom do any kind of surfing with the phone, but I will use the Kindle app to read if I happen to be waiting somewhere and do not have the Kindle along.
    Over all, I am glad to have a smartphone with all of the functions; since it is nice to have those options, even if I do not use them very often.