Where Science Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Corie Henson, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This is about things that cannot be explained by science like the voodoo in Africa and faith healers in the Philippines. I know there are lots that can be posted in this topic but I will start with what we have here.

When someone in the rural area suffers a physical ailment, the first impulse is not a doctor but a local healer called herbolario which is literally translated as herbalist or one who uses herbal. However, aside from the herbs and leaves of trees and plants, the herbolario also uses some voodoo rituals like using candle droppings on a basin of water to identify what element is doing the crime (to the patient). It can be a dwarf or any other entity that is out of science. What's cute is that sometimes the patient gets healed.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I am not sure it is the same thing, exactly, but my ex-wife has shunned doctors for years, going to a "holistic" healer, she calls it. I have not searched that term, yet, herbolario might be similar. Frank

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We have this thing called "kulam" or being hexed. Mostly in the rural area, there are perpetrators of hexing whom you can hire. And although it is an open secret, they wouldn't admit it when something happens to someone in their area. It's something like the hexer can put an ailment in your person like a pain in the neck or a swollen foot. Some others say a more serious ailment for a more serious case of quarrel - people normally go to the hexer when they had quarreled with someone who is superior to them.

And there is this person called "mambabarang" which is the nemesis of the hexer. It's really incredible to learn that such things happen.