Where Did You Spend Your Sixth And Seventh School Grades?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Lon Tanner, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Mine were spent with my mother living in my grandmother Hornbuckle's house in Littleton, Colorado.
    I attended Littleton High School which housed the Elementary grades as well. Here is where I learned to say Yes Mam and Yes Sir. Responses not common for New Jersy children where I lived prior. I walked from my grandmothers house up a long hill to the school.I did quite well and received excellent grades. Some of the material I had already received in Paterson, N.J. schools. I remember walking to downtown Littleton to attend a movie called Lassie Come Home. Tried a little fishing for crappie in the Platte River.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Mellen Township School, in Wallace, Michigan, was a K-8th-grade school. Kindergarten and 1st grade were across the hall from one another on one end of the school and, as you progressed, you moved forward, so the 6th and 7th grades were across the hall from one another, while the 8th-graders were across the hall from the school administration offices, and the gymnasium (which doubled as a cafeteria) was on the far end of the school from the K-1 classrooms.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

We moved from Indiana to Virginia when I was entering 4th grade. The elementary school in Indiana was K thru 6. The elementary school in Virginia was grades 1 thru 6. We have an Intermediate School for grades 7 and 8. Then high school is grades 9 thru 12.

All 3 schools were in Vienna Virginia, but at different parts of town.

I walked to the elementary school. The other 2 were each over a mile away, so the bus picked me up (unless the driver got angry at my perpetual tardiness and refused to make a special stop just for me, in which case I walked. I could tell she was gonna drive by her fixed stare straight ahead.)

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I spent 6th and 7th grades in school. :rolleyes: I learned "yes ma'am and sir" and other manners from my parents.

6th grade--elementary school. I rode my bike to get there, rain or shine.
    7th grade--junior high. No more bike riding.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We had the 1-6th grades elementary schools, and 7-9 junior high. I first started school at the local Seventh Day Adventist church school, and went there until the 5th grade, and then started going to the public school. I also rode my bike, or walked with friends to the elementary school, and in junior high, I either walked to school, or got a ride from my dad as he was on his way to work, when the weather was bad.

I grew up in the small north Idaho town of Sandpoint, along the Pend’Oreille River, and it was a great place to live and go to school. You might have heard of a football player named Jerry Kramer , and he grew up in Sandpoint and went to the same schools. He was older than I was, but i remember that his younger sister was in school about the same grade as I was.
    We also had the well-known writer, Pat McManus, who lived just outside of Sandpoint, and wrote many stories about his childhood and growing up in the area.

This was the original high school, but by the time I was old enough to go there, it had become the junior high school, and I went there from grades 7-9.

C7D6D1B2-A171-4730-82AF-E206454FE9D9.jpeg

6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Because of rapid growth of our town after WW2, and the baby boom, the schools in our district were overcrowded. They put our class, and one other 6th grade class, in a hastily converted bus garage. In 7th grade (junior high) we moved to the building that used to be my mother's high school.

upload_2021-6-28_9-6-5.png

Jr. high was when you started going to different classrooms, depending on the subject. Our home room met in the cafeteria with 2 other classes, in the bottom floor left. That building was torn down just a few years ago.

I always rode a bus. Life was tough back then. LOL

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I spent my 6th grade in 6th grade and most of my 7th grade in 9th grade.

8. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Spent 6th grade in elementary school. Spent 7th thru 9th at Boston Latin School

9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I spent sixth and seventh grade in Denver City, Texas, a small oil field town a few miles
    east of Lovington, N.M. The town itself had a large derrick at one end which burned off
    escaping gases and was a hundred foot high with a twenty foot flame which lit up the
    entire town. Both Humble Oil And Refining and Shell Oil Company had camps in Denver
    City, homes for their employees to live in. I did my best school work in sixth and seventh
    grades.

10. John Brunner

We had overcrowding in our area as well (northern Virginia.) Their solution was to have "T" buildings. They were Trailers out back all painted schoolhouse red and set up as classrooms. They were numbered T-1, T-2, etc. This was in the junior high and the high school. Part of the need was driven by the WW2 baby boom, and the other part was that the population in the DC area exploded.

11. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

The only thing I remember about 7th grade was seeing my neighbor, a lovely young lass who was also in 7th grade, naked, because she forgot to close the curtains while she was getting dressed. It lasted about 4 or 5 seconds before she realized her error, but it was enough for a 12 year old boy.

Hmmm. I've never shared that story before.

12. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sixth grade at Wright School in Frontenac MO. The same cohort of 20 kids, 10 girls, 10 boys, had been together since kindergarten, except for one or two who moved into the district during those years. A second cohort of the same class level and gender ratio got blended in with us for sex ed, all the girls vs all the boys -- which taught nothing about sex, just about reproduction -- and gym class so we'd have enough for team sports.

Seventh grade broke up these cohorts and blended us with 7 or 8 other grade schools funneled into 2 district junior highs, East and West Ladue, respectively. Classes had variable numbers of kids, teachers taught the same thing to different kids for 6 hours each day, and certain kids found secret spots in seldom used back hallways for, shall we say, independent study 101 on the topic of actual sex ed. :D:cool::rolleyes:

Tenth grade brought the two junior highs together so we could go three more years sometimes never seeing kids we knew in K-6.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Come to think of it, my class was in Mellen Elementary School longer than any other class. We were the first class to start kindergarten in this new school, and the year after we went on to high school, they cut it down from a K-8th-grade school to a K-6th-grade school, so we were the only class to spend nine years there.

14. John Brunner

It's interesting how some school systems put 7th and 8th grade kids in their own schools, apparently to (a) protect the younger kids from them, and (b) protect them from high school kids. Or so it would seem. Yet other systems mash ages 5 thru 18 in one facility.

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Our school system (back then) included grades 1-6 in elementary school, 7-9 in junior high, and 10-12 high school. I think later the 6th grade was moved to junior high, though. I remember that there was well over 600 students in my graduating class.