Where And When Were You Baptised?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lon Tanner, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Seems the age was around 12 but can't find anything much on this.

2. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think this is the quote I referred to:

Ephesians 4:5-13
    5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism

John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ephesians 4

1As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

****************************************************​

Personally, I don't get all hung up on select phrases from the Bible, which is a translation of a translation of a translation. Who knows what Paul meant? Did he "command" that we only do it once, or did he tell us that once is sufficient at our point of conversion and that it is not meant to be some repeated ritual that becomes so rote it looses its meaning? Maybe the "one and done" is there so we take it as a real commitment and don't walk away thinking we get "do-overs."

Who really knows? I kinda ignore legalistic minutia, other than making for interesting debates.
    You can get lost in the weeds out of honest intent, or you can also hide in them. Neither is good.

Joanna Newton likes this.
  4. Joanna Newton

Registered

It didn't occur to me til I checked the source and then read your post- Paul said it.. Jesus didn't say it, God didn't say it.

I'm also with ya on 'it's interesting, but I'm not going to be bothered by it.'

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Attempting to follow the examples set by Jesus Christ is not trivial nor ridiculous at all. To indicate that someone is ridiculous for wanting to live their life more in line with His teachings and examples is a heavy judgment to make.

So far as being Baptized once only, basically having a second Baptism in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit is to say that the first time wasn’t good enough and the Holy Spirit didn’t do His job.
    Note: Once is indeed sufficient but there are those who have backslidden and believe they should, upon rededication, go through another Baptism as well and that’s between them and God. They really don’t need to but even if it’s said to be a sin……
    1 John 1:9. If we confess our sins He (God) is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Just one last thing though. When we speak of the written word, the entire Bible is inspired by God. To say that just because Paul or John said it and doesn’t carry a substantial amount of weight is to also say that what John or Paul said wasn’t inspired by God.
    Yes, when all else fails to be understood, go back to what Jesus said but one should never discount what the other figures in the early church had to say for indeed, they were fully filled with the Holy Spirit.

Note: I didn’t reply seriously with Hal because everyone here who knows him also knows that he has some problems (which we all sympathize with) and with those will write just about anything at the drop of a hat.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Joanna Newton

Registered

Hopefully this was just a misunderstanding?
    I didn't mean I agreed that it was ridiculous, I meant sprinkling was a valid approach.

However, I don't agree with the approach that everything said/written in the Bible was inspired by God, or the concept of "filled with the Holy Spirit." I do know some religions believe both, but I don't.

7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Whether you personally believe in the works of the Holy Spirit or not doesn’t negate the realities but in the end, all that is between you and the Holy Spirit (God)
    That said, it kinda goes with someone saying: I believe in God and I believe on God but somehow forget to say, I believe God.

Believe what you wish, do what you wish and sing a few stanza’s of “I did it my way”. It’s okay by me because once told what the truth is, it’s all on you. Once again it’s a II Tim. 2:15 moment.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Joanna Newton

Registered

Although the quote you mentioned does not necessarily validate your other statements.

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

And how so? There are a lot of statements to be found there so which one(s) are you referring to?

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My brother and sister-in-law traveled to the Holy Land a few years ago and were re-baptized while there. It was more of a re-affirmation of their faith and they considered it the Trip of a Lifetime.

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Now, if I were to go to the Holy Land, that’s EXACTLY what I would do also. It isn’t that I have a need to be baptized because once was indeed enough but to figuratively take myself back 2000 years ago and be baptized in the same waters as Jesus was would probably be the most humbling but yet thrilling event of my life.

12. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Baptised in a creek in the name of Yahshua Messiah but I was fat and my body would not go under the water just my head guess that was good enough maybe, won't know for such until I stand before him to give account of my actions done in my body, hope I don't have a lot of wood, hay, stubble but I am pretty sure I do.

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My mother was Mormon and my father a lapsed Baptist. Dad would not allow us to be baptized in the Mormon church so we weren't baptized at all. We attended southern Baptist churches as kids, and both my brother and sister remained Baptists. Church and religion are extremely important in their lives.

For some reason I always have had doubts about organized religion and had a few bad experiences with "pious" individuals over the years, mostly attempts to scare me into believing. So I remain unbaptized and unconvinced.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  15. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I still remember our Pastor's name at Baptist Temple 1956. It was Roy E. Ladd. I'm glad they saved the Bell Tower and main hall. Our neighbor always drove us to Church but he never actually went to Church. His wife was one of the oldest members. He drove a big old 56 Buick, Black and super hot in the summer with the cloth interior. He was a German and a diesel mechanic working at the City Bus Barn, I think that building still stands and was used for the Police Department vehicle repair shop after the Bus went to Private ownership. For decades since the 50s there was a bakery near the bus barn and they would sell all the pastries that were on the shelf too long for a very small price. The Neighbor would always buy a bunch of pastries after work and give them to all us kids on the block.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.