When You See Heaven

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Shirley Martin, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

in your mind, how do you picture it?

When I wake up in the morning, I lie there sort of half awake, half asleep for a while. That's when I ponder questions that might be imponderable when I'm wide awake. This morning's question was about heaven. I know that Christians believe that they will be with Jesus. They believe they will be rejoined with family and loved ones who have gone before. But what happens then? How will we spend eternity? We won't have to eat or sleep. What will we do? I, personably, hope I will have some kind of work to do. I think eternity with nothing to do would be awfully boring.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

As a child I was asked 'what do you think Heaven is like ?'
    I said - its full of bananas :p
    The reason I said that was because of the shortage of bananas during and after the war
    When they did arrive, people went nanas for them and they said ,whilst taking a bite - this is Heaven !

3. Patsy Faye

Registered

Even as a child, I believed in an afterlife
    I strongly believe we will be united with those we had a 'bond' with on Earth
    As for work, I think there will be plenty to do, its a home from home environment, just another
    dimension away from this one :)

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

https://www.gotquestions.org/heaven-like.html

The Bible does have Scriptures that describe what heaven is like. The link gives those Scriptures and assures us that heaven will be a much better place than the earth we live on now. And we will eat and drink there. Jesus told His disciples that there were many mansions in heaven and that He would go there and prepare a place for them (and us).

We can definitely be sure of one thing. If God created the Garden of Eden for His children, then His home in Heaven is something far beyond what we could imagine with our human minds. We also must remember that we won't always live in heaven...but we will live on the new earth that Jesus will make for us after He destroys this one that satan has been ruling over. We will not just sit around and do nothing either as the Bible clearly says we will serve Jesus our King and help Him rule the nations. Heaven will come down and be the "Capital" of the new earth, etc.

Our lives on this earth are just a shadow of what they will be as God's children in an eternal paradise.

When I think of heaven I think of the Garden of Eden before Adam and Eve brought sin into it. I also think of how beautiful heaven and the new earth are when I look around and see all the beauty God has created for us on this earth in the sunsets and the flowers that bloom, in the beautiful beaches, waterfalls, and lakes. All around us are glimpes of what heaven will be like. And heaven will also have many of our loved ones that have gone there before us.

1-Corinthians_2-9.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There is a story, more of an illustration actually, of a Christian who passed away and was being introduced to heaven. He was led past several palatial, beautiful homes, built from the best of materials. The man wondered which of these fine homes would be his. Finally, his guide stopped at the very edge of the city, where a shack had been pieced together of what looked like scrap material.

"Why are we stopping here?" he asked.

His guide replied, "This is your home."

"But, why is my home so shoddy? he asked.

"Your home was built from the materials you sent up before you," was the answer.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

WOW !
    Profound statement - like very much
    Having said that, I would prefer the shack only because I really don't like palatial buildings :rolleyes:

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Yesterday, I was thinking about heaven while I was swimming, and what it would be like. Even though I love singing that old hymn about “Mansion Over the Hilltop”, I have never really thought about having one, and certainly not when I think of heaven, or of even needing to have a house there.
    I am glad that we who are believers in God, have something to look forward to after death, and those people who do not possess that particular happiness of having a belief in God now, are also bereft of looking forward to anything at all after death, which seems like the ultimate sadness to me.

What I most look forward to in heaven, is seeing my mom and dad, and other family and friends who are gone from my life, and I also want to see the pets that I have loved and lost over time, like my beloved little Chipper .
    I miss him every day, and it comforts me to think that he is up in heaven somewhere, and sitting on my mother’s lap and getting in his daily pets.
    I do not think that we will just be sitting around and playing harps, like they show in the pictures, I am pretty sure that we will be keeping busy with whatever goes on in the next lifetime.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

To be very honest- have not thought much about what heaven is like. I do not believe in the fantasy heaven that has been portrade to us since childhood.
    For the moment at least- I think in terms of our spirit only, that has no need for food, water or entertainment. Our soul - (which according to science does have weight)
    leaves the body upon death and floats up into the heavens.Um unless your being being denied heaven- which your soul will drop like a rock into hell forever tormented by the very things you did on earth.
    The soul becomes a star that shines down from heavenly sky.
    Something to that effect.

9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember getting told that story when I was a child. :)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

MY mother who was a staunch catholic raised and educated by Nuns... ( evil witches they were but we won't go there).. always used to tell me that she believed that when we died our souls would go to a higher plain ..and the nearer to the Lord we got would depend on how we lived our lives while on earth.. She truly believed that if we only achieved the first plain, we'd be sent back (reincarnated).. to learn more, .. and ultimately if we lived a pure and true life, we'd reach the highest plain nearest to God, where we would never have to return

She also believed wholeheartedly that there was no hell as in burning fires of flames.. that in fact Hell is right here on earth!! ( and it was for her )

I know it sounds childish but I was barely out of childhood when my mother died, so I have no idea what her views would have been if we'd spoken adult to adult now ...

I sometimes reflect on her thoughts, and wonder if it's even possible anything like that could be right... I'd hate to have to be reincarnated again..I've had enough for 10 lifetimes!!

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Reincarnation is another one of those intriguing concepts, and something that has never been proven, one way or the other. Edgar Cayce, the Sleeping Prophet, who was a devout Christian, also believed in reincarnation, and he had verses from the Bible that he believed supported that.
    There seems to be evidence of people (especially children) who remember previous lives, and when it has been checked out, that person did exist, and the information is valid, even though it comes for a small child.

There are people who believe that this whole earth is nothing more than a hologram, and we are actually living in some kind of virtual reality, which is an interesting concept as well.
    If something like that is correct, then who knows how many different virtual lives we might experience....... or why ?

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders ..mine and your moms version of course are way off biblically.
    I have never totally understood the Bible even as an adult. Every single human being interperates it differently- just like the numerous differect languages and nationalities.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not a believer, so I never imagine heaven. What I believe is that when we die, it will simply be as before we were born...nothing. Honestly I can't imagine living "forever." That's a long, long time. :D

14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Don't you like bananas ? o_O ………… :p

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I do like bananas, cutie!! :D I'll just have to eat 'em while I'm on this side of the dirt!!

Patsy Faye likes this.