When Will People Stop Doing Stupid Things Like This?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

All too true.
    The era of civility, culture and respect for one's self has been hammered away and what is left is accepted as some form of free speech.
    Just as an example, it used to be illegal for men or women to openly curse in public but beyond that it was considered to be brash, vulgar and a show of an unschooled individual. It showed disrespect for other people and their beliefs and even without the illegality of it, people just naturally didn't do it.

I doubt if our street is the only one of it's kind, but men, boys, girls and women walk up and down the street voicing a language that has absolutely no context unless a barrage of 4 letter words really means something. Men NEVER swore in front of ladies but now the ladies know and voice it as much or more than men and most of the kids around here need a full bar of soap in their mouth instead of a twix and a soda pop.
    It is rather strange that one of the only places where you don't hear a whole dialog based on illegitimate wording is in a place where it was heretofore confined, namely......a bar.

I know that language is only one example of the degradation of a more genteel era but even in a Biblical sense, it isn't what goes in the mouth but what comes out of the mouth that defiles us. The holder of the sign in the OP is just another example of the same kind of disrespect for others.

Do Please Note: Don't read me wrong, there are times when a little tongue in cheek goes on even right here on this forum but it's in a closed community and we know each other and respect one another.

2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

There's always been latent racism in the form of anti-Semitism at my place, yet due to the influx of immigrants from Arab countries, another, more virulent form of anti-Semitism has been emerging. Talking of role models and heros of young people, public attention over here was recently directed towards two rappers who'd won the Echo prize although they feed there young followers with lines like "My body is more defined than those of Auschwitz inmates." or "I'm doing another Holocaust, coming with the Molotov." They refer to themselves as JBG3 (Young, brutal, good looking 3) and seem to be a role model for a young crowd, which must be quite large because the music prize is based on the number of sales as well as chart positions. It's telling that the two rappers did come up with those lines which young people apparently got no problem with. But the real scandal is that the'd won a prize that is expressly awarded for outstanding achievements of national and international artists by a jury who'd also okayed it.

It was only after several artists had given back their prizes and a surging outcry that it was reluctantly decided to scrap the prize in its present form. It's a problem of the whole society but as long as a body like the Music Industry Association demands that the music market needed artists who crossed genres and generations it opens the door and you shouldn't expect too much of an imminent change.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm glad I experienced a time when boys treated me with respect and would not swear in front of me
    So hard now to accept the different stance where anything goes. I shudder and cringe when I hear young girls
    behaving laddish - in fact they are termed as 'ladettes' :rolleyes:
    What the young aspire to, baffles me :(

Bobby Cole likes this.