When To Say Something And When Not To

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, the way we feel is, if nobody complains to anyone, even local church clergy, just what will happen? Will the city become known as "Anti-Christ City"? That's not a good reputation for any city. IOW, we are both Christians and do CARE, but all we can do is pray for the couple.

As far as a new complex, in the other complexes we've lived in, have never/ever seen anything like this. We plan on moving to a complex somewhere in northern Wyoming and we seriously doubt we'd see this there.

Hedi, it's very obvious that a Satan sticker, as well as 666 (in Roman Numerals) would be disturbing to any Christian, as well as any Pastor or Priest.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you so, so much Bobby, That's exactly what we are going to do.............."let God take care of the matter".

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I know you feel a need as a quote as a Christian to persue her reasoning behind having such on her car.. but that is an issue for the Lord to handle. Leave it alone.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What I find fascinating is this:

-You mostly have unquestioning faith and obedience to the authority figures in your life (like doctors), while most of us don't trust most of them any further that we could throw them...we question everything with these people who we personally interact with and who directly impact our lives. We want reasonable, responsible control over our own existences with those things we can influence, while you seem to be fine delegating control in many aspects of your life.

-Most of us don't really pay attention to "the average man" and to who has tattoos or nose rings or obeys the terms of a contract with someone else or anything at all with those who we encounter in passing (maybe we mutter something under our breaths, but then it's gone), while this stuff always seems to be on your radar screen. You [seemingly] want control over the world's minor imperfections that none of us can do anything about, while others would not want to pile such strife on to the worries we already have of things that truly affect us.

This is not a judgement...it's just an observation on how completely different people's world views are. And I may be wrong.

I'll tag onto Bobby's post with the AA Serenity Prayer:

Short Version Said At Every Meeting
    God grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change;
    Courage to change the things I can;
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Full Version I've Read But Have Never Heard Spoken
    God grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change;
    Courage to change the things I can;
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;

Enjoying one moment at a time;
    Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
    Taking, as He did, this sinful world
    As it is, not as I would have it;
    Trusting that He will make things right
    If I surrender to His Will;
    So that I may be reasonably happy in this life
    And supremely happy with Him
    Forever and ever in the next.
    Amen.

Ain't none of us perfect at it.
    And as things work out, I kinda needed to hear that full version today.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That would make an interesting topic. Are we to be forever passive and never intervene?

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

On the contrary, it is as the Serenity Prayer indicates and possibly a little more. As we read the Bible, God commanded the Israelites to go and TAKE the land. It wasn’t merely given to them but they had to fight for it.
    In other instances, God said to stand back and watch Him work lest men glorify themselves.

In the question of the Satanist, would it be better to whack the dear lady over the head with a Bible or would it be better to show her a better way via a more virtuous life set by good works and let God do the rest?
    As it was, the passage I gave Cody immediately came to mind when he asked what I thought about the whole thing and it seemed to fit the problem quite well.

In all cases, it’s better to approach problems, especially those problems we have with other people, prayerfully rather than the knee jerk reactions we’re all famous for doing.
    Sometimes 2x4 therapy is appropriate but most of the time it just takes trust because we know that there’s nothing we of ourselves can do about some situations.

Philippians 4:13 says, “I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me”.
    Sometimes that simply means I’m given the strength to shut up and live my own life. Other times, it means I’m given the strength to open my mouth and do whatever it takes to help someone else.

At all times, it takes a moment of prayer to know the difference and where that line is drawn.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.