When Not In The Mood To Cook

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Corie Henson, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When you are not in the mood to whip up a good dish, do you resort to frying? In the olden days, we always have something in the freezer like chicken drumsticks or pork slices. Especially when we come home late from the office, what we would have for dinner is fried chicken drumstick or pork.

But when we moved in this house in 2001, we realized that frozen food is not really healthy. And since we have no frozen meat in the freezer anymore, our recourse now is to have food delivered. But in fairness to the olden days, there were no deliveries yet at that time.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I rarely fry anything.... bake, yes. But I'm not under any time constraints, so it's easy for me to take the time for baking. Do you have a slow cooker, @Corie Henson ? Sounds like it would solve your time issue... stick a chicken or stew or... well, practically anything, in there before you go to work and it's ready to eat when you return. (Well unless your work days are 10 or 12 hours... that's generally too much time for most slow cooker dishes even on low.)

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I never fry anything. I haven't fried food since my husband died. I don't even have oil in my pantry except some olive oil for salads.

I never feel like cooking, I eat a lot of veggies and may make eggs or cook up some chicken breast than use it for salads.

The only positive thing I can say about my husband dying is that I don't have to cook anymore. I cooked enough for two lifetimes and mostly from scratch.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't have a slow cooker and our recourse is the frying pan. We actually have trained our housemaid to do the frying but that's still frying. Last month my husband was diagnosed to have high cholesterol level. We are meat eaters and maybe it's those meat and those frying that boosts the cholesterol level. We have already resolved to have no meat for at least 2 days in a week. However, the frying is still there because the easiest to cook is fried fish, huh.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Well I still resort to the freezer foods or I buy and bring home food when I have money that is. Freezer food is alright you know for they are like just picked fruits so I've read in articles. I like to keep frozen bread to make a fast sandwich too for dinner. Luckily we are not too fussy for when it comes to dinner time, so a sandwich will do fine for dinner. Canned foods are good to like tuna or Vienna sausage that you can eat right out of can.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't do a lot of frying anymore. Usually, anything that I might have fried years ago I broil today. I don't know if it's any healthier but it feels healthier. I will sometimes resort to deep frying breaded shrimp though, and sometimes even potatoes, but I'm talking about once every few months at the most.

7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

WE have a deep fryer that gets used quite a bit and some things are fried in a regular skillet and we sometimes use a flat bottom wok for stir fried dishes.
    Frying got a bad reputation as being unhealthy but in recent years it has been proven that frying wasn't the problem. The problem was that almost everyone was frying food in Crisco or other hydrogenated oils. Then people would add oleo (margarine) to the food which is just another form of Hydrogenated oil.

It's my belief that how you cook isn't so important as what you cook.

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My issue with frying is not a health one as much as it is a calories added one. I have to stick to about 1500 to maintain.

9. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

When I am not in the mood to cook, we have sandwhiches or I start counting pennies to order out.