When Is It Too Late?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Ina I. Wonder, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

If I were you @Ina I. Wonder and in your moccasins. :)...I would move. It's not going to get easier living by yourself
    Way out there. Bobert may not always stay with you...can't count on that.

You need to be close to Patricia at least and closer to town. Too many things can lay us up at our age and we need help...you have your grandson now but can't count on that.

Sell when it seems you'll make a good profit. Every year you'll be putting money into that home. I saw it this year with my newer home, thankfully my daughter paid for everything but I'd be screwed if she didn't.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Denise Evans likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, @Denise Happyfeet ....she has the big house on the central coast. And it will even get bigger..oldest grandson is off to college next year....but I have my own room there with a balcony and it's own private bathroom
    And smart TV with every channel you can imagine and i wouldn't have to pay for it, nor my internet, nor my food.

Sounds perfect, eh? Downside...my independence. :(

Holly Saunders and Denise Evans like this.
  3. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

One thing here, we are never alone, so to speak. I have neighbors, but they also have people that run the office etc. downstairs in our huge lobby (kind of like a fancy hotel) and at night, we have the nicest couple that live on site. Every apartment has built in "panic" strings you can pull to set off a buzzer, both here, and the perimedics. The things to help a person in the tub, the handle things?? I felt I was just to young to be around that stuff but you know I'm so grateful now.

They put on so much activities for people, and I don't take advantage of even half the things. The girls decorate down there (it's all about Halloween right now, lol) Throw ice-cream socials. The Senior Center is up in front of us on the street, not connected, but lots of folks spend time there too. When I am walking on Thursday nights (just around the buildings where it's safe) I get to here their band playing the oldies like "moonlight in Vermont". Now I'm feeling so much better, LOL! I just needed to check my gratitude list, LOL:)

4. Denise Evans

Registered

But they will be busy, and you'll have your space sweetie, it sounds wonderful and I want pics. You too @Ina I. Wonder I'd love to see some from you when you get to the BIG city;)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

@Ina I. Wonder did you ever see that silly video of me down here at the apartments "summer olympics"?? If you want, I'll post it, I'm totally goofy in it and during the video one of the guys puts his arm around me and says "Denise, I think your medication is wearing off" LMBO!!

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

image.jpeg

Here is an older pic of their house..part of it. That one with the balcony that's closest to you in the pic
    Is my room.

The other balcony in the pic is to the hallway upstairs. My room is the only one on this side and the first one up the stairs...all the other bedrooms are down the other hallway.

7. Denise Evans

Registered

yes, I remember now, it wasn't that shot, but I remember it was very, upscale;)

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I would like a place like that...but financially the smart move for me is my daughter's.

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Page if you moved to your daughter's, although you would loose some independence, it might just encourage you to get out more. It might just get you to look for activities outside the home.

You are getting to Be more and more like the hermit I've become. I think moving to a small town of less than 8,000 will encourage me to get out as well.

This city is getting so dangerous, that a single older person is just ripe for the pickings. It is scary here. I've even stopped watching the news in the morning, because there are always several cases of this every time. I had to stop because it was scaring me to the point that I don't go out at all.

I think Bobert will stay with me for several reasons. My house meets his cleanliness needs, and his mother is a hoarder with 7 or 8 dogs and a couple of cats. I haven't been inside her home for several years now, because I can't breath in there. He has this issue as well. Plus he has no ambition. He is 26 and never had a girl friend. He likes them, but just doesn't have any need to go into society. I'm hoping I can help him acquire some needs and desire to join the world, and if he doesn't stay, as you pointed out, I'll at least be closer to Patricia. Maybe by the time he might wish to leave I'll have made some friends, and found a niche for myself.

Joe Riley and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was fifty when we bought our house here in Millinocket, and moved from Texas, and if I had the money to afford another move, I'd be up for another one. It's not that I dislike Millinocket. It's a nice place to live, but I have enjoyed living in different places. I like living in different places more than I do traveling because you get to know the area you're living in better than those you visit.

11. Denise Evans

Registered

I understand @Chrissy Page :) I am glad you have the choice;)

12. Denise Evans

Registered

New England is part of the US I haven't been too. I'm reading books about Maine now, just non-fiction mystery series:) And I always loved Murder Sher Wrote. The book I'm reading is in a place called Sunset Cove, and the Bangor and Bar Harbor are both mentioned. Sound like a wonderful place, but all I've seen are pictures, and movies/books about it;)

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

If I was still married, it would be a much easier decision to make a move. I've made many of them with my husband. I've even moved to a whole different country. That wasn't easy, lol.

This is just too much for me anymore...I never really liked it here and it's way too big for me now without my husband.

It's just a whole different ballgame. Different everything when you are older and alone.

I also think it's easier for a man to live alone in a house that always needs something than it is for a woman unless you are so inclined and I'm not.

Denise Evans and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes @Denise Happyfeet, please post it. It sounds like you were having a lot of fun, and that is always cheering, to me anyway. Your place sounds wonderful. Here that kind of housing is way too expensive.

My old company serviced two such apartment complexes. I once tried to get Michael to consider such a place. I like joining such activities, and you don't have to travel to get there or back home.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's what I'll at least get to do if I move in with daughter. She does a lot of activities with some friends that I know pretty well. There's always something at the country club...the other night it was painting night...they all painted pictures and drank wine, lol....daughter said I would have enjoyed myself. She can't paint worth crap but it was fun she said.

Also, she goes on some beautiful hikes in that area....I'd like to do that. More opportunities for fun. Plus all the eating out at neat places like Carmel, etc.

In turn I can imagine since the older brother is leaving and the younger one will be starting HS in 2 years, she'll be back to having to drive a child to school before work and sometimes the timing is hard....I could do it and that would mean more than anything to her.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.