When Is A Hate Crime Not A Hate Crime?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Yvonne Smith, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here is a news story from the town of Florence, Alabama, just west of where we live. I am attaching a link to one of the news blurbs from our local news sources, and all of the other ones read about the same.
    Here is the basic story.
    A family of 4 (mom, dad, two kids) were at an event at a local park. When they left to go home, the father and older son (14) were attacked by a gang of teenagers, who beat the father up and also gave him some serious burns from a taser gun.
    As the mother tried to call 911 for help, the attackers also broke the windows out of their van, where she was inside with the family 4-year old. All of the time that the attack was going on, the attackers were using racial slurs about the victims.
    Now, you haven't seen this all over the news nationwide. Actually, it is barely on the news right here in Alabama.
    No protest marches, nothing is being burned down.
    In fact, the police are not even calling it a hate crime. Race is not even mentioned this time.
    Why ? ?
    Could it be because the family who was attacked happened to be white, and the attackers were black ? Hate crimes only are hate crimes when the victim is a black person ?

http://whnt.com/2015/06/16/florence-police-make-arrest-in-connection-to-first-fridays-assault/

2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

You have a good point about this story. You would think it would be all over the place. After all, this was obviously a hate crime, yet for some odd reason it didn't seem news worthy I would hate to think that it had to do with the fact that those who comitted the crime were black and the family white because what does that say about the society we are now living in. That we only want to discuss a hate crime and analyze whether its a hate crime when it happens to a black individual if it happens to a white individual it doesn't seem as important. If this is the case I would consider that to be pretty sad state of affairs.

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

This doesn't surprise me at all, unfortunately. Hate is hate, and this fits the criteria. I always share stories like this one on my social media sites, to increase awareness of how politically correct our society has become, and of the pall it casts over the truth. I'm glad you shared it here, and I saw it, and now I'm going to go share it.

4. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

"Hate crime" is a political or social distinction/ definition/ term.

It only increased trouble and is widely used when desired for effect for show(publicity), or for more money or for more power. i.e. not for truth nor justice.

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.