What's Your Internet Speed?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Gary Ridenour, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

FWIW: Before October 2019 I was on Frontier DSL, with a DL speed of around 5 Mps (all numbers are via Wifi). I had a new laptop and a new desktop, both Windows. The DT was way faster as far as reacting to links on webpages, it was almost instantaneous.

So then I got Spectrum fiber which consistently runs as high as 150 Mps. But there was no noticeable difference in clicking links when using either machine. The DT was so fast before that it couldn't have gotten much better. I came to realize that the reason why my LT didn't improve much was the machine itself. The hardware cannot process incoming data any faster, so it -- not the incoming speed -- is the choke point.

But I'm not complaining. I was on dialup from 1994 til 2005 when I got DSL. Wow, this is fast! And I can use the phone while I'm still online??? :)

John Nopales likes this.
  2. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

38.38 mbps download, 9.38 mbps upload, does not really matter I read a lot online and I doubt if I can read faster than my internet speed, netflix, Prime and other movies all play without having to pause to reload so appearently my service provider is fast enough.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I switched my internet provider from Brightspeed to Spectrum and bought a new computer. Now my download is 286.45, upload is 11.78. I think my ping (Whatever that is) is 18.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  5. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm with comcast/infinity's cheapest plan. 87 and 11 - not great but adequate.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We were on the AT&T low income plan, which was about the same as yours is. Then, they put in Google Fiber here in Huntsville, and they offered a low income plan as well; so I changed over to fiber. It is actually costing me less, but we have higher speeds now because of the government $30 monthly discount.
    Apparently, we are one of the first cities that now has Google Fiber.

7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I am with spectrum so I am with Shirley Martin but in reality, I have no clue. It is fast enough to not make me as crazy as dial-up but it is glitchy here. Warnings of possible outages that don't happen and then outages, sometimes, that happen without warning, minutes long.
    They kept raising prices so we would cancel and then re-up the service when offered a 'special price'. Then the gov't offered some sort of discount spectrum kept pushing. We looked into applying but we were just over the income limit. Spectrum kept telling us to re-apply which I didn't. Then all of a sudden the price dropped. I guess the government gave it to everyone.
    Why not? There is no inflation.

8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Congratulations on getting fiber internet. It came here a couple of years ago. A huge improvement over DSL. Especially the upload speed. It used to take 20 minutes to upload a 3 minute video to YouTube. Now it takes less than a minute.

Does your fiber cable hang from the power lines?

When they used to bury the cable it took forever to get service in most places. I asked the installer what happens when the power lines go down. He said fiber internet would still go down, but they'd get around to fixing it much faster. Maintaining copper phone lines for DSL is not cost effective for phone providers.

Does anyone know if adding fiber TV to a plan would slow down the internet speed seriously. Seems like it would. (I still have satellite TV).

9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We have Spectrum fiber internet. They offer plans with tv. But when the Roku device came out--a one time purchase for, I think $39-- we bought one for each tv and cancelled the monthly fee. They stream off the wifi device from the computer. Love it except that I have the tv on all the time--even when I am sleeping, for the noise.:rolleyes:
    We ditched satellite a long time ago and have the old antena for emergencies (like downed computer. Also:rolleyes:)

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Comcast/Xfinity notified us that we should upgrade our "gateway" (modem/router) since ours was several years old. They shipped the replacement so I set it up today. They were right... the improvement in all our connected devices was apparent. I was more interested in the strength of the wifi connection than the speed, since we have some security cameras that occasionally disconnect due to weak signals or dead zones. I was ready to buy a new wifi extender but the upgraded gateway seems to have remedied the situation.

upload_2023-10-26_21-9-35.png

11. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ours varies a LOT, right now…this is the best service they offer in our neighborhood right now.

IMG_8092.jpeg

12. Don Roles

Don Roles Well-Known Member
    Registered

The figure that the speed providers give you on a test are generally a little misleading in that they are the max speed during that test and the average speed that you actually get is usually quite a bit lower. That said many of us rural folks think we are doing good to get 5 or 6 and 3 with little chance of getting a better speed in the foreseeable future from out 'line of sight' connection'! This in my case after installing a 60' tower to get above the trees to 'see' the transmitter, there are some satellite providers if you want to pay the big $$ and IF you can 'see that one....
    Very little on my TV provider worth watching anyway IMHO ...... now back to my BOOK!

Mary Stetler likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

14. Ann Jackson

Ann Jackson Member
    Registered

We have 2 connections. On AT&T it's
    Download
    6.32 Mb/s
    Upload
    0.43 Mb/s