What's Your Internet Speed?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Gary Ridenour, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

find out here:

http://www.speedtest.net/

got a new modem yesterday from TWC that really put it on steroids

what's yours?? find out. do it at least twice to get the best numbers. mine

[​IMG]

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have Comcast Xfinity, and yours is definitely faster than mine, @Gary Ridenour ! ! I downloaded the iOS app and tested it on the iPad. I don't really know much about what all of that means; but mine seems to be fast enough for whatever i am doing usually.

image.jpg

Micki Pembroke and Gary Ridenour like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Just checked mine. Download: 64.70; Upload, 11.27; Ping, 17.

Is that good or bad or so, so, It ought to be damn good for what I'm charged for it? But again, I may be among the uninformed as well as lacking in technological knowledge.

Micki Pembroke and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Edwin Clarke

Edwin Clarke Veteran Member
    Registered

Download: 1.97; Upload, 1.29; Ping, 54.
    Okay, so I don't browse like a Porsche; more like a bicycle, but it gets me there.

I remember back in the nineteen eighties being astounded and proud of my acoustic modem that boasted 300 baud. That is about 30 bytes per second. Comparing this to the millions per second nowadays definitely gives my age away, but back in the day this was cutting edge.

The thought that it would one day be possible to download a full length movie in less than ten minutes never occurred to me then. Computers have grown up while we grew older.

But it's great fun trying to keep up. Actually, I feel it is a privilege to experience things our forebears could not even dream of. The internet is a big part of that experience.

Marci Miller and Micki Pembroke like this.
  6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

My speed is slow we need to upgrade with 4 people using the internet it gets really slow or crashes. Nice test.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  7. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

My ISP said to be delivering 100 Mbps, my connection icon tray reads 100 Mbps, but the result using the above link reads like this:
    [​IMG]
    And look that I'm connected via Ethernet, when on wireless, my icon tray reads 56 Mbps.

8. Edwin Clarke

Edwin Clarke Veteran Member
    Registered

The theoretical speed of the equipment is shown as 100 or 56 Mbps, but your service provider can normally not provide anywhere near that lofty figure.
    In practice your line is shared with many others. In the wee small hours of the morning, when you have the line to yourself, you get a nice fast data transfer, but at normal times all the plebeians compete with one another and everyone gets a lower data transfer rate.

Still, 8Mb/s is good enough for most purposes.

Ethernet is typically 100 Mb/s, but this is more likely the data transfer rate between your PC and your modem. The real bandwidth from your provider is probably much lower than this.
    For Wifi, 56 Mb/s is typical. With a weak signal this speed will also degrade. However, this will also not be the speed from your service provider. The ADSL speed to your modem/wifi will be anything up to 4Mb/s, but your local wifi attempts to resend it at 56 Mb/s, which is, of course, impossible, because your ADSL line is a bottleneck. Similarly with your Ethernet, which is also probably supplied by ADSL.

Hope all this makes sense :)

9. Clark Smith

Clark Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Mine should be a 7Mb/s but of cours it's lower than that.. I reach like 6Mb/s if it's good...

10. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes it does, thank you Edwin!

I was wondering why those Mbps figures have no variations even when connectivity seems to fall behind, but now I can see why :)

11. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

My Internet speed, don't ask. No seriously, we use DSL, about five years ago that was a good speed. It was certainly better then dial up, I am still trying to figure out how I ever dealt with that one. But now that there are so many DSL towers the speed has definitely gone down. I won't complain though, its better the nothing which was what I had a few weeks ago, nothing.

12. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

I toodle along with 6.23.. 71 and pinging at 28

13. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Mine says:
    Ping 31 MS
    Download 3.00 MBPS
    Upload 0.47 MBPS

I have no idea what all that means. Is that good or bad?

14. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not techie to understand internet speed, bandwidth and other geeky terms. My benchmark is the turnaround speed, i.e. the speed of displaying the screen when I press the Enter key. If it takes several seconds then that means it it slow. The turnaround should only be 1 second for simple web pages although I understand that it will become slower if the graphics is heavy or if there is an embedded video.

15. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Your ping is similar to mine. My Download is 3.23 mbps faster and the Upload speed is 24 faster mbps but a lot of factors can interfere with what actual service speed you can get [​IMG]