What's Your Guilty Pleasure?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I probably eat about 6 donuts a year. I used to eat a lot more of them, back when I lived in Massachusetts, and there was a Dunkin' Donuts on every corner. These days, I tend to pick one up every couple of months, usually at the Kroger bakery section.

Today, I was grocery shopping, and decided to splurge and get myself a doughnut. I typically buy either a jelly filled or lemon filled doughnut, or an occasional muffin. Today I went all out, and got a chocolate long john. If you're not familiar with them, they're like an elongated doughnut version of a Boston Cream Pie. I'm attaching a picture, just in case y'all aren't already salivating.

So, what's your guilty pleasure? chocolate long john pastry donut.jpg

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Potato chips, I can't buy them because I can eat a 5-6 serving bag in one day. Maybe I should go and get some, I could use the extra calories now. :)

I do try and buy the lowest calorie and sodium ones but it's still a lot if you eat the whole bag.

Maybe tomorrow, I'm not getting dressed today...too late. Thanks for reminding me though how much I love chips.

Diane Lane and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I admit that I am somewhat overweight although the term "somewhat" may not be appropriate. I am hypertensive so I am always advised to lose more pounds but it seems that I couldn't break the 160-pound barrier. And take note, the ideal weight for me, according to the doctor, is 140. Oh, my, that's a mission impossible.

With that prelude, you can guess that my guilty pleasure is something sweet like ice cream or cake. Yes, it is cake. I love the expensive cakes with modern designs that are so sweet especially the black forest - chocolate cake with cherries on top. When there is an occasion, that would give me a reason to buy a cake. On May 29, it was the birthday of our pug so I had reason to have a cake. The following week, that was June 4, it was the birthday of our pekingese. I'm now awaiting for July 16, the birthday of our 3rd dog. I'm not being funny, honest, that's true that we celebrate our dog's birthday complete with cake and ice cream aside from the nice food. And there's the singing of the birthday song with a lighted candle, of course. And after the pictorial, naturally the humans will eat the bounty since cake is not good for dogs.

So there, it is cake for me.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Guilty pleasures of eating cake donuts. Then there is the guilty pleasure of eating little brownie bites with just 7 Grams of sugar...well it's under 10 Grams of sugar...I love a cut piece of cake and there are some at every supermarket I go to and some of them go for just .59! I've got a lot of guilty pleasures for life is very wonderful with guilty pleasures.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane

Well, shizz, Diane, does the OP imply only appetite appeasement? My REALLY guilty pleasure is pastime spent out by our little kiddie pool, 10 feet in diameter, well-insulated from prying eyes of neighbors (of which there are actually none around), where I have acquired an overall sun tan providing many degrees of protection via Vitamin D from skin cancer, while having the most licentious time ever, surpassing even the time I lived in Vegas, with the big, Olympic-size pool which my ex liked, but was concerned about someone "seeing".

6. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

Magnums. Preferably a Double Caramel Magnum. I have about one a year - and I do find them hard to finish.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Mine has changed over the years. These days, it's yogurt. Any flavor. It's the tastiest thing on my 'can have' menu.

K E Gordon and Diane Lane like this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

I think it's only been maybe a year since they've started playing Magnum commercials on the TV here, and I've wanted to taste one ever since, but I keep forgetting. Also, they're a lot more expensive than the other ice cream bars, but they do look yummy!

@Frank Sanoica Of course there are many appetites that can be satisfied, but since I had doughnuts in mind, I posted this is under the Food & Drink section. I'm sure it's hot there, and the pool no doubt provides quite a bit of relief. Not having neighbors, nosy or otherwise, is a definitely plus in my book.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

My daughter makes this cake for me, it is a white caked covered with chocolate and banana pudding and covered with cool whip. Oh so good.

10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane

I am grateful you did not chastise me for my brashness. It pays to "buy the best", know the best, and recognize potential blunders before making them. I am only good at the middle one, and that is due to the good folks here! Frank

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Have you tried the frozen yogurt Ike? I love Sweet Frogs. I guess they are in most places, but it is a kind of make your own sundae type place with frozen yogurt, available in different flavors. They have some really neat and interesting toppings too including mango bubbles, cheesecake bites and of course all the candy toppings and types of syrup you enjoy. I like that place, because you can make your "sundae" as healthy or unhealthy as you choose to. I try not to get carried away there, and just have a modest amount of toppings on maybe 4 oz of frozen yogurt. It is one of my many favorite "indulgences."

Ike Willis likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I remember long johns, although I don't remember if I bought them while I was living in Michigan or California. It's been a while since I've seen them, although I do like (but rarely allow myself) Boston cream pies, living in a state where pretty much every town has at least one Dunkin' Donuts.

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Diane Lane

Registered

I've been wanting to try making a Boston Cream Pie. I have a few recipes I'm considering, although I might see if I can find one for a smaller sized dessert. That's not the sort of things that I'd carry around offering to the neighbors or freezing, so I guess I could always scale the recipes back myself. I was looking at something else yesterday and I saw one by Ree Drummond, so I might look for that recipe, hers are usually pretty easy and very tasty.