What's Your Favorite Holiday?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What's your favorite holiday, and why? Is it your favorite because of childhood memories of that particular holiday, or because of current observations? Otherwise, what was your favorite holiday as a child? Now?

Von Jones and Lois Winters like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I suppose my favorite holiday as a child was Christmas, though Halloween was a close second. I can't say that I even have a favorite anymore. We don't put much effort into holidays since the children are grown and gone. I am more apt to have a "most dreaded" holiday now. :D:D

Lois Winters likes this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't have a favorite now, but as a kid it was Halloween.

4. Ken Anderson

I could say that the whole period between Thanksgiving and Christmas was my favorite but, of the two, Christmas would win, hands down. My dad would start making rootbeer and potato sausage just before Thanksgiving and kept a steady supply of it through the New Year. Plus there was being out of school for long periods of time and, of course, the gifts didn't hurt, either.

While I was raising my son, Christmas was fun too. I was working for the paper company so money wasn't an issue, so Christmas was a good time. Holidays don't mean much to me anymore, either. We do Christmas, but it's just the two of us so it's not at all the same. I guess kids are the key to a special Christmas, whether or not I'm the kid.

I also liked Halloween, as a child, and it was kind of fun while there were still kids trick-or-treating. In Texas, I'd go through a couple of hundred dollars in candy on Halloween night, and the first few years we were here in Millinocket, we had a fair number of kids coming by. In the last three years, we haven't gotten any. Just in case, we buy a bag of candy, but we make a point of buying something we like, knowing that we'll be eating it.

Although Easter was certainly celebrated when I was a kid, it wasn't a particularly fun holiday, except that there was candy involved. Mostly though, Easter was a church thing, which I didn't mind, but it wasn't exactly fun.

Since I lost my access to M-80s, cherry bombs, and dynamite, the 4th of July hasn't been particularly exciting. When I lived in Anaheim, Disneyland put on a damned good show, which I could see from my house if I wanted to, but it was more fun going there. For a small town, Millinocket usually puts on a fairly good fireworks show, but we haven't bothered going out to see it the past couple of years.

I can't think of any other holidays that have meant much of anything to me.

Von Jones and Lois Winters like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife really, really loves Christmas and decorating inside and out for it. If we could show off our Vader and Stormtrooper costumes, we would love Halloween more. I didn't even put on my Vader costume on last year and we paid enough for the costume and alternations...…...I wasn't happy that I couldn't put it on. No place to go.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanksgiving for me. Since I was a child the entire clan would gather at usually the senior family members home. The men,(one of my daughters and a niece join us), all get out early and hunt for 6 hours or so. The women,(yes it,s sexist), would start the meal. In the old days 60's 70's, there would be 40 or more relatives gathered. Nowadays, we host and there are only 26 of us.
    Of course being the greedy little bastard that I was, I loved the bounty Christmas brought, now as an adult, I do not like the decorating, the lights the tree,etc,etc, just for two days of Celebration.

7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Growing up it was the fourth of July. All the clan got together down on the Clearfork of the Brasos
    River for two, sometime three days. Now days I ,like the hollidaay where the most people actually
    have a holliday and get coff work. I guess that's Christmas.

Lois Winters and Ken Anderson like this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The Fourth of July was my favorite holiday as a child. I loved watching the fireworks in the air more than those on the ground, except for sparklers. :D

Now it's Christmas not just for the reason for the season. I get to decorate :D:D:D:D:D!

Beth Gallagher and Lois Winters like this.
  9. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Christmas and Independence Day were my 2 favorites.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was a child Christmas was my favorite but now it's Valentine's Day and Thanksgiving. Loving and giving thanks for all our blessings are two of my favorite things and always will be!

11. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanksgiving. You just eat, eat, eat and don't have to buy gifts.

12. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Oddly enough, my favourite holiday is... PASSOVER.... which is coming up in a few weeks..
    It is the story of the freedom of the Hebrews from slavery in Egypt..
    It is a tradition, that is, a family gathering for the Sedar which is not only the reading of the story, but a lovely meal as well..
    Family time is important at holidays ….Tradition is also important to continue on for the next generation..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

OK...……………….... With the coronavirus ……... This year we have decided to …..
    Pass over Passover …………………………. it just isn't safe to have people gathering around a table...

14. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

ARBOR DAY!

This day celebrates the successful grafting of non-reticulent spores of the Barrel Cactus to the Giant Saguaro in the High Desert.

Food, Speeches, and Parades all day!

Hal

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Faye Fox likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

I don't believe you. No one's favorite holiday is Arbor Day.

Yvonne Smith likes this.