What's Your 3 Favorite Ethnic Foods

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Krissttina Isobe, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Hello! I love ethnic foods! I'm Japanese and my 3 favorite Japanese foods are 1. Tempura. I found frying oils that are healthy for you so tempura is delicious and good. We mix our white rice with barley, black rice, brown rice and lentils, so again rice is healthy that goes well with tempura.
    [​IMG] As this image suggests you can have most any vegetable as tempura and shrimp too or oysters.
    (image from http://simply-me-story.blogspot.com/2015/03/tempura.html)
    Mix rice is very simple to make in your rice cooker. Some stores have prepackaged mix rice, that's very expensive, so we buy the separate items and cook them in our rice cooker.It looks somewhat like this.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (image of rice is https://pt.fotolia.com/id/75618067)

(images from https://www.northbaytrading.com/large-green-lentils)
    Dried fish is another one of my favorite foods. Chirimen iriko is a kind of dried anchovies.
    [​IMG] Dried fish is a good health food.
    (Image from http://www.pf-max.com/Japanese dried seafood.htm)
    One other dried fish I love is sardines. Today it's mostly half dried sardines that's in markets.
    [​IMG]
    (image from http://www.21food.com/products/dry-roasted-japanese-sardine-524845.html)

What are your 3 favorite ethnic foods, with pictures if possible.

2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I love spicy Mexican food, Italian food if it doesn't include seafood, and many Slavic dishes.

3. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I've never been quite sure if copy/pasting a picture here is visible to others, so I'll just answer the question without pics (unless that *is* the way to do it... not real tech savvy)

Three favorites... I'd have to first choose PA Dutch because it's my heritage and so much of the cooking is totally incredible!

Second would probably be Italian with the sauces and pastas... I just need to limit it because of my now-healthier eating plan. :)

And third, I'll have to combine Japanese (sushi) and Chinese (lots of things starting with Walnut Chicken.

If copy/paste *is* the way everyone posts pics, I'll edit this and add some.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

'scuse my lack of knowledge @Mari North but doesn't PA Dutch mean Amish? Is it Amish food you mean?

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I love anything coated in tempura batter...although not sardines *errrk*...usually I have King Prawns or langostines..or chicken fillets coated in it..

My favourite Ethnic food is Greek...then Chinese food without MSG ...then Italian..in that order.

I hate Spicy food, so Indian and Mexican etc are not foods I enjoy

6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I like Mexican, Chinese, Italian, and most of all Southern USA.

7. Mari North

Registered

No, it's not the same, although I realize a lot of people connect the two because of the area. Amish are Anabaptist... it's a religion. If I'm not mistaken, they came mostly from Switzerland to avoid persecution... some from Germany, though, I think, as well.

I've loved PA Dutch food my whole life because it's my heritage... I'm definitely not Amish or I'd not be on this computer. :D PA Dutch, or "Deitsch" more specifically, are German-speaking people who came to America (from Germany, not Holland... different kind of "Dutch!") and settled here... like my family did.

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't really say that I have three favorite ethnic foods because when I think back there are only choice dishes that I like but I would say that I am most partial to Mexican foods because I partake in it more than Italian spaghetti and meatballs with a sprinkle of Parmesan and Chinese vegetable combo meals with brown fried rice with a choice of beef, chicken or shrimp. How's that?;)

9. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

First of all, how can you not like "Chicken Soup" when it is homemade from scratch.. Not the instant stuff..

A good "Mamaliga" is probably one of my favourites with cottage cheese and sour cream or even plain.. Mamaliga is made with corn meal and is served very often instead of rice, potatoes, or bread..

I will leave it there at two favourites..

Obviously one can tell by my choices that my recent ancestors come from Romania and are Jewish..

10. Mari North

Registered

Ah, Chicken Soup! I enjoy making that! And there's nothing like homemade, you sure go that right, @Steve North !

I haven't heard of Marnaliga so nosy ol' me had to look it up 'cause I love cooking. :) Along the lines of polenta, yes? Or as we call it in my corner of the US, "cornmeal mush." Maybe it's weird (since you listed cottage cheese and sour cream, I assume it is!) but I like mine fried and with maple syrup... right like I eat scrapple... hmmm, which is also cornmeal based, now that I think of it.! :D

11. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Italian, Middle Eastern, French. Also Indian.

12. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife is a Kiwi (from New Zealand) and she makes the world's best Pavlova I have ever tasted..
    Truly to die for..

I will add it to the list of 3 foods, however we don't have it very often.. Perhaps twice a year but most often once a year.. However I must admit she hasn't made it in the past few years.. Guess I am due for a treat soon.........

13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

For our own ethnic food, my favorite is the TUYO, that's the dried fish in the photo above. It goes well with fried rice especially when there is salted egg and tomatoes. Incidentally, that is our breakfast for tomorrow. Whenever we are in Hongkong, we never fail to dine in Ebeneezer, an Indian restaurant that serves the best lamb biryani. It is similar to java rice with lamb cubes. And the third ethnic food is a tie between the Japanese gyousa and the Chinese dumplings. They are practically the same except that they have different tastes.

14. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I would choose Indian first though my more recent experience with Georgian cuisine probably puts that as a joint first, then the old British standard Fish & Chips

Curry
    curry.jpg
    The UK has adopted curry as a "national dish", with more than 9,000 Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi restaurants and the creation of British-Asian dishes such as chicken tikka masala and balti, says the National Curry Week website
    Lobio
    lobio.jpg
    Fish & Chips
    fish and chips.jpg

15. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Indian food would have to go to number one, though the label Indian tends to cover anything from the sub-continent. I've had wonderful meals in Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Sri Lankan restaurants, too.

For a vegetarian like me, Indian food - especially that from the south of India - is brilliant as there are so many choices. Another boon is that if you're struggling to find vegetarian food when you're in another part of the world, there's usually an Indian restaurant not far away. I've had Indian meals in Iceland, Russia, Ghana and all sorts of places. In fact, one of the best I've ever tasted was in Budapest.

It's not so hard these days to find vegetarian food, but the good old Indian restaurant is a great standby!