What's This Letter From My Health Plan Really About?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Babs Hunt, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yesterday I received a letter from my Medicare Health plan Company.

Here's what it says:

Dear (Me)

Now you can receive another valuable perspective on your overall health with an in-home Health and Well-being Assessment. It's included with your Humana health plan, at no extra cost to you.

This assessment by a doctor is part of Humana's commitment to give you the tools to you need to help improve your health.

The choice to have this assessment is yours to make. The assessment will be done when it's convenient for you, and it won't affect your plan costs or benefits.

What is an In-home Health and Well-being Assessment?

On behalf of Humana, a doctor from CenseoHealth will come to your home to do the assessment. We encourage you to invite a friend or family member to be with you during the visit if you wish. The doctor will:

* Check your blood pressure and other vital signs
    * Review any medicines and over-the-counter vitamins and supplements you take
    * Assess the safety of your home
    * Get a brief medical history

The doctor will answer your questions and talk about your health concerns. The visit takes about an hour.

Why should you have a Health and Well-being Assessment?

You'll receive wa health summary you can use the next time you see your regular doctor.

We'll also share information from the assessment with your primary doctor. In addition, it helps Humana to identify any plan programs and services that may be right for you. Coordinating care in this way leads to better quality care.

What to expect next

A CenseoHealth team member will call you within the next few weeks. You can set up your assessment then with a local doctor for the day and time you want.

If you prefer, you can go ahead and schedule your appointment by calling CenseoHealth at....

Thank you for choosing a Medicare plan from Humana.

Sincerely,

--------------

Chief Medical Officer, Humana

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Did anyone of you ever receive a letter like this? What do you think about this letter?

When I first read it yesterday I wasn't sure whether what they were offering was a good thing or not? It kind of made me feel like "Big Brother" wanted to invade my living space and tell me how I have to live my life in my own home.:eek:

This morning I'm not sure how I feel about this letter. So I thought I'd share it with y'all and see if anyone has gotten a letter like this and what they did about it.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

They are offering you a Service, not invading your home. If you don't want it, toss the letter. We've got letters like that before and just tossed them.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well Cody I am glad to hear that you have received some letters like this. And I agree they are offering a Service, I'm just not sure who they will be serving more...me or them?

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I agree with @Cody Fousnaugh , that this is just a service that they offer, and would send out to everyone. They have no idea who needs this service and who doesn't. For some people, having a doctor or nurse come to their home and help make it safer for them might be seen as a Godsend, whereas other people , like yourself, might not need it at all.
    When I was in the hospital, they always ask me if I need someone to help me at home, and it is just something that they ask everyone. I think that this is a similar thing, and we get letters from Cigna asking about similar needs, too.
    It is not required for you to do this, just an option if you are needing it. There is usually an annual physical that is part of the insurance plan as well, or maybe part of Medicare itself.
    We also get a little booklet that has OTC meds and equipment in it and are given an allowance of so much every quarter of the year. I always forget to use it; but they do have a lot of good items in there if I would just remember to order them.

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks @Yvonne Smith for letting me know y'all have received some letters like this too. This letter coming when I am having all these new health problems just was a total surprise to me and I wasn't sure whether Humana is not happy they are having to pay out for me to find out what is going on...and wanted to "check in on me" at my home to find a reason to drop me because I am costing them to much pay out lately. Because of what I have been through in the past with the Health care system, I admit I am not very trusting of them. But if some of y'all have got these same kind of letters then this is telling me it probably is just a Service they offer.

I think both you and Cody said y'all had never used that Service. I wonder if anyone has and if so could they tell me about it?

We do use our OTC freebies. Last year it was $20 per month for each of us. This year they have changed things to $30 every 3 months but I get my Honey eye vitamins, his denture cleaning tablets, and Seniors vitamins too plus eye drops. I get my vitamins too and a few other things now and then. I love "freebies" :)

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think I ever got a letter like that but I do get $50 a month of freebies but I've not used it even once and soon it will be a year on Medicare and supplemental....maybe I should start using it.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Out of curiosity, what are the freebies?

9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

A free cash allowance either monthly or every few months that our Medicare Advantage plan allows us for over the counter pharmacy items that our drug prescription plan doesn't cover. @Cody Fousnaugh

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Don't know about Chrissy, but we have a regular Medicare Plan. So we wouldn't get the "freebies".

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I have a regular Medicare plan also but it's my supplemental that gives me $50 worth of drugstore type items each month.

I get a catalogue and can order from there....I just glanced through it once...things like vitamins otc meds, etc.

I have Medicare part A and I pay $125 for part B....and then my supplemental which covers dr visits and my prescription.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

My wife's Medicare provider called to invite herself here to do the same thing. She told them yes, so I will have to make a point of finding somewhere to be during that time because I absolutely hate dealing with stuff like that.

13. Michelle Anderson

Michelle Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Good! Because I was trying to think of an errand to give you so you wouldn't be in the way!

The lady explained to me that the worker would "take your blood pressure and pulse," and make sure I am "getting all the services you need."

I actually was going to say no, because I can't imagine what sort of "help" they might offer that I need, but then I stopped to think about my cleaning, and I sure could use a cleaning service to help wash the floors and such.

When I realized that this was probably not a service they offered, I opened my mouth to say, "No thank you," which is when the lady mentioned that I would also receive a $20.00 gift card for Hannaford, our local supermarket.

So I'm in.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I was a paramedic for twenty years. I taught the stuff. I think I can remember how to take your blood pressure and pulse.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ha ha....how about wash the floors?

Michelle Anderson likes this.