What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Tonight I had a smoked haddock fish-cake, Mashed Spuds and buttered cabbage ...I had dinner earlier than usual.. at 5pm , as I was hungry after gardening most of the day, but by 8pm I was peckish again, so I had a few slices of smoked salmon terrine for supper

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Frosted Flakes with whole milk. Out of bananas, which I like with cereal. Last night it was oatmeal with toast, coffee, and half & half.

Sheldon Scott and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Registered

I like bananas when I have cereal too Bill.....I'm pleased to hear your appetite is returning a little bit..

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Fresh chicken salad on french bread with sliced avocado and cantaloupe chunks for dessert. :)

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I made a hamburger-macaroni dinner, intended to be something like the one my mom used to make, except that I don't know what she put into it, other than hamburger, macaroni, and tomatoes.

Cooking the macaroni separately, I cooked a pound or so of hamburger in a skillet, with an onion.

I added a couple of tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce to the hamburger after it had browned, except that I didn't actually measure it - or anything. I rarely measure things.

I added a jalapeño pepper, a stick of celery, some chili powder, a splash of olive oil, some fresh parsley, and about six smallish tomatoes, which I had diced.

Along the way, there were generous amounts of salt, pepper, and a couple of other things that I found in the spice rack, but I don't remember what they were.

The result was pretty good, actually. It didn't taste much like I remember my mom's tasting like but it was good. If I do it again, I'll add a small can of tomato sauce, and maybe a second jalapeño pepper, because it wasn't quite as spicy as I had expected it to be.

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Last night we had fried catfish with ..linguine and spinach salad.
    That was very tasty to :)

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Beef tamales, chili and spanish rice a roni...

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yesterday we had tapas for lunch at the pub restaurant .. then last night we had a Chinese take out...sweet & sour king prawns, Veggie Kung Po (for hubs)... Pork dumplings and Egg fried rice..

Tonight I had baked ham with green Cabbage and mashed potato bubble and squeak... hubs had chilli & honey flavoured Salmon fillets, and a tomato green salad..

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Tonight was an experiment night for me.
    I tried making simple veggie burgers for the first time, and actually, it tasted pretty good once it was on the bun and had all of the accompaniments like lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, and all of the usual hamburger condiments.
    I have been trying to lean towards more veggies and less animal products in my diet, because all animal foods are inflammatory, which is not only bad for my arthritis, but also for my heart and kidneys.

So.....here is how it went.
    I looked at videos on youtube, read some online recipes, and discovered that most of them were too complicated for me. Cooking is not my favorite pastime, under any circumstances.

The easiest one I found was simply cooked beans and brown rice, carrot, ground oatmeal and ww flour if needed; so that is the one I tried. I added seasonings, and some flax meal and chia seeds for extra fiber and protein, and mashed and mixed the whole thing up, and then cooked a hamburger-sized patty.

For bread, I got a package of those little whole wheat sandwich thins, which are pretty low-carb and 5 grams of fiber.
    There is not much to them; but I don’t usually eat all of the hamburger bun anyway, and this little skinny-bun turned out to be just right for my veggie burger.
    I still have some of the mix left, so I can try making this again when I get the urge for cheeseburger deluxe.

Joe Riley and Kate Ellery like this.
  10. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Joe Riley likes this.
  11. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My wife and I like Mexican food too; we frequently go to the most popular Mexican restaurant in the High Desert: "La Casita", which is Spanish for "Little House".

Menudo looks like someone vomited...very unappetizing!

Hal

12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm having a veggie patty on one slice of flaxseed bread with some no salt ketchup and a slice of Swiss cheese melted on top.

Having some baby carrots on the side, I pretend they are fries. Cooked not raw.

For dessert I'll have a pomegranate outshine bar.

It's only 3:39 now but I'll be eating dinner soon since I had breakfast at 4:00 am...lunch around 10:30.

I keep a weird schedule...which makes it difficult when I visit my son as they eat around 7:30- 8:00 pm...I'm ready for bed by then. :)

My daughter is more like me so we eat earlier than she feeds the rest of the family. She eats like I do too.

Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yesterday I made one of my huge pots of homemade vegetable beef soup and since it is even better the next day after the flavors have time to soak in...we will be having that as an encore today. :)

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Tonight we had brown rice cooked with some turmeric which makes it a pretty yellow color, besides being an anti-inflammatory. Along with the rice I made a stir fry with some of my fresh picked Malabar spinach and some kale that I have growing. In the aerogarden, as well as the regular stir fry veggies.
    It turned out to be a nice supper, and I have rice left over to use in something else.
    My daughter, Robin has some turmeric rhizomes that are starting to sprout, so she. Is going to plant some and bring me some to plant. It is supposed to grow something like ginger root grows, and I am looking forward to try growing some and having it fresh to use in foods.

15. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Today I'm having this for lunch and dinner. It's 3 servings...I'm making it 2. :)

IMG_2256.JPG

Don Alaska and Holly Saunders like this.