What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

There will be no possum cooking in my house. I like them, and I don't mean to eat. I even dug a grave and buried one in the backyard a while back. They sometimes come out and eat with the stray kitties I feed.

The turkey breast's defrosting in the fridge. I haven't cooked the ground beef yet, that will probably happen later. We're supposed to get a storm later or tomorrow, and I was debating on running to the store to pick up a few things for the rest of the week and Thanksgiving before it hits, but the sky just got very dark, so maybe not.

I think I'll cook the hamburgers and squash at the same time, so I don't have to be on my feet any more than necessary. I haven't figured out what I'll be having with the burgers yet, although cucumber and tomato salad sounds pretty good.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Marinated pork loin with sweet potatoes and fresh steamed green beans. My daughter loves to cook and try different recipes so when I come to visit and help out with the grandkids she is the one who does the cooking while I help with everything else. And she is a very good cook. :)

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I made spaghetti yesterday, except I used whole wheat shells instead of spaghetti, so I guess I didn't ,make spaghetti did I? It was good whatever it was!

Diane Lane and Holly Saunders like this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

When you're hungry.....it's all good! My Wife prefers the gluten free spaghetti, and I like "thin" spaghetti, but recently saw again #9 spaghetti, which is "just right". Sounds like the Italian version of Goldilocks.;)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Diane Lane and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Last night after I got home from work I cooked Butter chicken in curry sauce.... and had warm Cornbread to dip in the sauce...

It was -2 degrees here last night, so I needed something to warm me up...

Yvonne Smith and Diane Lane like this.
  6. Diane Lane

Registered

Brr, @Holly Saunders, stay warm! Just starting to cool off here, cold front coming through, making it feel more like Fall than Summer, finally.

Last night, I had baked chicken thighs with turkey stuffing and green beans. Tonight, I'll have the same ;). Probably tomorrow, as well. I brushed the thighs with olive oil and seasoned them with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Just perfect. I might make a dessert, probably something apple.

Holly Saunders and Sheldon Scott like this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Stuffed turkey breast, baked loaded potatoes, and broccoli with cheese. :)

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

Last night's supper was a small baked potato and some bouillon. I made a pizza again the other night, and next up is some pollock, although I'm not sure when or how I'm going to cook it. I'm defrosting it now, and will probably cook it tomorrow. I'll either pan fry it or bake it, most likely.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Today, we went to the little Korean/Asian grocery store just down the road. I bought some more of the daikon radishes, some bok choy and fresh carrots. I wanted to make soup.
    I have used the daikon (Korean radish) before, but mostly just ate them raw and usually pickled in vinegar, and once in the kimchi that I made. After reading @Frank Sanoica's post about his wife making stew with radishes instead of using potato, I decided to try cooking the daikon and see how they turned out. A cup of daikon radish is about 4 grams of carbs, vs. 53 grams for a cooked potato about the same size; so definitely a lot more acceptable for my low-carb eating plan.
    We had some diced ham left over, about a cup full; so I added that and chopped up some of the veggies and cooked them until they were soft. Then I used the potato masher and mashed them to make the broth thick, and added a little creamer to give it a creamy flavor.
    It was delicious ! !
    It actually tasted a whole lot like cream of potato soup, but with much less calories and carbs. And nothing that was inflammatory, so no worries that it will cause an arthritis flare-up.
    The next experiment will be to try cooking one of the daikons in the microwave, like we do a potato, and see how it does as a potato substitute that way. Cooked radish with butter and maybe even sour cream......... might be good ?

Diane Lane and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    I should think, beyond a doubt! Just asked my wife: she knew exactly what daikons were, but has no experience with their physical make-up as compared to the usual radishes, what size, etc. She cautions against over-cooking, stop, test for softness, etc. Who am I to dis-ay-gree?
    Frank

11. Yvonne Smith

The ones I chose were some of the smaller ones, roughly the size of an average potato, about 3-4" long. They have the larger ones, and those can be 7-8" long and as big around as a fat tomato.
    The daikon is not as hot as a regular radish, and I cooked them skin and all, just chopped them into chunks about like I would have done if making potato soup. When cooked, they are a little reminiscent of a turnip, but milder.
    Last summer, I quartered and sliced them thin like you would a cucumber and put them in vinegar with a little himalayan sea salt, pepper, and just a bit of sweetener. They are crispy like a cucumber when pickled, and go great with a summer salad or light meal.
    Since the cooked ones were milder than I had thought they might be, I definitely want to try one micro-baked and loaded like a potato.
    Here is a picture that looks about like the ones I bought today.
    IMG_0131.JPG

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Yvonne Smith

These are MUCH larger than a regular red radish, @Frank Sanoica . These are about the size of the white potatoes that come in bags of potatoes, and larger than the small red potatoes. They are 3-4" inches long, and that is for the small ones. The large ones are at least 7-8" long, and you can get them in about any length you want because they have mixed sizes on the shelf at the store. The big ones are similar in size to an eggplant.
    Our microwave is a smaller one and old besides, so it usually takes about 4 minutes to cook an average size potato. I will start with about 2 minutes with the daikon, and then keep cooking and turning it until it seems done.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Diane Lane likes this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Angus Beef hot dogs, homemade chili and oven seasoned fries.

Diane Lane and Sheldon Scott like this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Tonight we had homemade enchiladas. I cooked some hamburger meat along with red and green bell peppers, the last bok choy, some onion, mushrooms, and hot peppers, and then put that inside the low-carb tortillas, covered the whole thing with enchilada sauce , and mozzarella cheese over the top.
    While that was baking, I chopped up a bit of lettuce, onion, tomato, and an avocado to put over top of the enchiladas when they were ready to eat.
    A little salsa and sour cream on top, and they made a delicious, and low-carb dinner for us.

Diane Lane likes this.