What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm making a tuna noodle casserole, possibly for the last time.

Does anyone remember when tuna came in 8 oz. cans? I remember when 7oz. cans were reduced to 6 ounces and for a few years now they have been 5 ounces. I recently bought a 4 pack of chicken of the sea. When I unwrapped the yesterday I discovered they were only 4 ounces. I don't think I'll be buying tuna again.

2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I have no idea what's for supper yet. It will probably be leftover chicken. It depends though, I might find something interesting in town. I saw a stuffed crust pizza advertised at Walmart for 2.98. I also have the leftover shrimp and grits soup...maybe that will be it, as I might take some chicken for lunch...hmm decisions, deicisons! I just had two eggs and toast for breakfast, so that will no doubt hold me for awhile. I might not be hungry for a long time.

Diane Lane and Sheldon Scott like this.
  3. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

I made them from scratch and ground beef, onions, oregano, Monterey Jack cheese, deep fried them. A friend told me about baking them at 500 degrees for 10-15 mins. instead of deep frying, but deep fried this time. Good news for me because I have to watch my cholesterol. I'd love the fish chimis. We eat a lot of fish in Ohio as well as Florida. Grabbing a piece from the fridge and off to school. Didn't matter cold or hot. I fix red beans and rice when making a chimis dinner. Not this time weather is hot and muggy with humidity above the temp.:)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  4. K E Gordon

Registered

Oh deep frying probably would be more than I would want to get into. Generally I only eat French Fries, or maybe potato chips. I have a cholesterol issue too, so deep frying is probably something I should avoid. I have noticed some of the chimi's in the store that are already pre made though. I like Burritos alot too. They are some of my go to foods. I do eat them on an as desired basis. I think overall tacos are probably healthier though because at least they have some veggies in them.

Marilyn Pahl likes this.
  5. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

I always keep a stack of floured tortillas on hand to make my chimis. Can't stand the ones in the store. But what's left over I make will put in the fridge and warm them in my convection oven. And still get that crispness. Don't own a microwave just don't like that gummy taste and ridiculous to spend that kind of money to warm up coffee. Popcorn I make in a big skillet with the see through lid. Those additives that are in those packs of micro-popcorn have way to much salt in them, and hate the taste of that so called butter substitute. Same with canned soup. I get Progressive Lite, and still taste a lot of salt. I drain all the broth and fill the can with all the ingredients in it half full of water and heat it. It isn't all that bland because there is still a little salt on the veggies :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Today is experimenting day for me again. I found a recipe for kimchee soup, and that is what is now simmering on the stove. I "borrowed" part of one of Bobby's pork steaks, cubed it up, and have been simmering it along with some kimchee and extra szechuan chili sauce to make it good and hot. I did add a little rice just to give it a bit more body and thickness, although I usually do not eat rice because it is high in carbs. Since it is only a little rice, it should be okay, even with my low carb food plan.
    Once that gets done, I am to add some tofu, and then slice some green onion into the soup before eating it. It reminded me of the hot and sour soup that the Chinese restaurant has, and I really like that; so I also added a dab of vinegar to the recipe, and when I tasted it, it was pretty good.
    Since it has tofu, Bobby is declining to have that and will probably cook himself a pork steak and sweet potato for dinner instead. Remains to be seen though. Maybe he will test it out and like the soup, too.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchiguk

Diane Lane and Marilyn Pahl like this.
  7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've only had kimchi/kimchee once, and I can't remember if I liked it or not. I was in the middle of a move, and very overwhelmed, and doubt i even tasted the food. I'll have to try it again in the future, and if I like it, maybe I'll try making it at home. I love hot and sour soup, and have made that a time or two, although I don't recall the recipe off hand. That's something I always get at Asian restaurants, and I usually buy extra. It's great for chest colds and sinus infections.

I cooked up some chicken legs the other day, with scalloped potatoes and green beans, and have been eating those for a couple of days. I still have a few left, then I'll have to decide what i want to make for the rest of the week. Once the weather cools off a bit I'll start doing more cooking.

8. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

@Diane Lane .........Hi Chimichangas are made with cooked meat, I've used rotisserie chicken, or drained browned beef. You can go bland as you want or spicy. Cheeses can be what you like anything from Velveeta to Monterey Jack. This is the filling with shredded cheese. Place the filling in the middle of a floured tortilla what ever size you want I like to work with 10 inch. Facing you fold the top and the bottom into tortilla, filling and the sides are folded in last. Put a wooden toothpick in center to secure and drop in hot grease, when brown drain on paper towel. That for lunch small tossed salad. Ice tea I have to make my own ice tea with Bigelow "Constant Comment" Black tea with orange peel and spice steep it and put in fridge. I slice orange rounds. Everything is Green tea, and don't like the taste of it. Cramps my stomach.

Fall is in the air, and if we can't see it we can feel a slight change. Maybe a passing breeze.:) I like to get a small butternut squash, clean the center and put my favorite filling. Usually brown my beef throw in the trinity, (onions, celery, green pepper) bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Cuz took a scalloped corn recipe we all love and put in cooked meat, used the the squash as a baking dish. Put dabs of butter and crackers on top to brown. Telling me everybody has their own casserole.:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I had cereal for breakfast, a cheese sandwich for dinner. I guess it'll be a can of soup.:(

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. K E Gordon

Registered

I am having leftover chicken tonight, mashed potatoes peas and trying my hand at some homemade gravy. I usually use some kind of mix, but I don't think I have any. I would eat garlic potatoes but I think I used all the garlic! So flour, water and butter is what I have left. I will give it a whirl and see how it goes. Hey my mother and grandmother did it, so I can too. I will just make a small amount though, in case I don't like it. I think I may have made it once or twice before, but I don't remember.

11. Diane Lane

Registered

Supper tonight will be the last of the chicken legs, scalloped potatoes and green beans. The beans are almost gone, so I'll add something else. I have some fresh carrots here, so I might cook up a bunch of those, then add them to whatever else I cook for tomorrow. I know I have ground beef in the freezer, but I might also have pork chops, and those sound better for some reason.

@Sheldon Scott I have been buying less tuna these days, as well. You'd think the class action lawsuit over the cans being underweight would have taught them, but I guess profit is more important than customers.

12. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Little smokies, sauerkraut, and potatoes fried with onions and sweet peppers.

@Diane Lane I was just thinking:rolleyes:.... tuna casserole recipes could be made with canned chicken.

Yvonne Smith and Diane Lane like this.
  13. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

You don't wanna know.:(

14. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, they could, @Sheldon Scott, or maybe canned salmon. I have all three in the pantry right now.
    I pulled out the pork chops to defrost last night. I just saw a recipe on Twitter, something about pork chops and apples, but it called for sherry, which I don't have. I do have applesauce, so I might just do the chops and have applesauce on the side.

Sheldon Scott and K E Gordon like this.
  15. K E Gordon

Registered

Well, it isn't especially healthy, but I have been wanting to try to the frozen Chinese food by PF Chang. I love the PF Chang's restaurant, and I don't think the FF will be anywhere near that good, but nonetheless, I want to try it..so I will get that today. I got paid so I will be doing some shopping today. I have lots of things I want to purchase actually. I always need to pay some bills of course. Where would we be if we didn't have bills to pay??? We mgiht actually have some fun!:rolleyes:

Sheldon Scott likes this.