What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Actually, I usually do this, Chrissy. I found that I was uncomfortable swimming if I eat breakfast first; so I have my usual cup of coffee, and maybe a small protein drink, or half of a protein bar. But often, just the coffee.
    Bobby has a protein drink before he goes and then I think he takes another one along with him for after his workout, and before he goes into the steam room (which is where I meet back up with him after my swim and water exercises).
    So, when I get home, I am seriously ready for some lunch ! !
    Tomorrow, I have to forgo the coffee altogether and of course, no protein bar either. I am hoping that my thyroid is now working well enough again that I can stop taking the thyroid medicine. It has been slowly getting back to normal since I started taking the Lugol's iodine and the thyroid supplement, and was in the lower end of the normal range the last time I had it checked.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Today is a mexican food kind of day. Dreming of an endless supply og tacos and awsome salsa and iced tea. Possibly a side of refried beans. Yum!

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Late lunch, early supper today. I cooked whole whiting (fish) which we had with lemon butter, and sauteed zucchini.
    My favorite fish is salmon; but there was none in the freezer; so it is definitely on the shopping list for the next monthly trip tto Sam's Club.
    The whiting seems to have a lot of fishiness taste, and both Bobby and I noticed it a lot. We have bought it before, and I didn't remember that it tasted this way the last time we cooked it. Anyway, it is probably going to not be on the list when we think about fish from now on.

Joe Riley likes this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I made a meatloaf with ground beef and pork sausage, Baked potato and asparagus. Cantalope for dessert then later a root beer float.

@Yvonne Smith Are you saying you had fish that tasted like fish? That's strange, :rolleyes:

5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I think tonight will be polish sausage with vegetables. It will be an improvement over yesterday's dinner. I don't want to say exactly what I had, but suffice it to say, it involved both McDonald;s and Dairy Queen.:D I really didn't ingest as many calories as you may think, however, healthy it was not! Oh well..being a bit better behaved today.

Sheldon Scott and Diane Lane like this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Yum, Dairy Queen sounds really good. Does your DQ have nachos and tacos @K E Gordon? I tend to get those or ice cream when I'm there, as well as the occasional slush. They also have really yummy jalapeno poppers at the ones here, although I know in some parts of the country, they don't even sell tacos at DQ. Back home, the Dairy Queens were for the most part, just stands that were open in the warm months, then shut down for the rest of the year. I don't know if that's still the case. I'm sure the brand has grown significantly since then, so maybe they're all year round locations now.

I cooked up the ground beef the other night. I made 2 burgers and scrambled the rest for something, although I'm still not sure what. I sauteed up some summer squash yesterday, and had that with a cheeseburger last night. The beef was the 70/30 type (I know that's not the exact percentages, but it's close), and it was the best burger I've had in a while. I tend to usually get 80/20 or 90/10, but I think I'm going to stick with this from now on, because it's so much tastier. I usually don't put cheese on my burgers, but for some reason I felt like going all out, and I even used mayonnaise on the toast, in addition to my usual mustard and dill relish. It was really delicious.

Sheldon Scott and K E Gordon like this.
  7. K E Gordon

Registered

I don't think the DQ I usually go to has tacos,@Diane Lane but they do have yummy Quesadillas. I know that for a fact. It is right by I95 and does a booming business. I was in there one day, when the district manager was meeting with the staff. She said they were number one in the Richmond area, It think both for volume of business and quality. So, it is a darn good DQ! I love that they have Happy Hour now, and you can get iced coffees and frappes starting at a 1.00.

Diane Lane and Tim Burr like this.
  8. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Probably going to play that game of ' what's in that container ? '. Saw a commercial for that refrigerator with cameras
    so I could look on my phone and say, " look, I have numerous containers with something inside, Great ! "

Diane Lane and K E Gordon like this.
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

If it weren't for my grandson I probably only go to the store once a month. At 26 he eats in one day what I eat in a week. Our problem is he grew up on fast foods, and I'm a veggie person. So he get lots of frozen dinner, sodas, (the expensive 16 oz. individual ones) and other packaged foods.

Me? I have IBS and my meds aggravate that, so I don't eat much. I'll fix myself something, and after a couple of bites, I don't want anymore. I've been know to completely forget to eat.

I see and smell food, and it's great, but I know it's my enemy. :(

K E Gordon and Diane Lane like this.
  10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I finally decided what I'm going to do with the scrambled beef. I figured it out last night, but then I was too tired to eat, so I'll make it today. I still have some tortilla chips, cheese, refried beans, salsa verde, sour cream, and avocado, so tonight's supper is going to be beef and bean nachos. The tortilla chips have a hint of lime, which might turn some people off, but I love the combination of lime and 'Mexican' food, so they're perfect.

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Lime is used a lot here in CA.

12. K E Gordon

Registered

My son likes to eat, and so does one of my nephews, but I have one who is living with my mom and dad while he attends college who eats like a bird. His favorite snack is: get this, white rice! He also eats a lot of plain popcorn and broccoli. I mean he will eat a burger from time to time, but he is not a big eater. At least their grocery bill hasn't gone up much!

13. Bea Long

Bea Long Veteran Member
    Registered

English peas are also known as shell peas and garden peas — in England and other places.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  14. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

A peanut butter sandwich and a glass of water.

15. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@B Long , welcome amd we hope you enjoy our little group. Look around then just jump in. I look forward to getting to know you.