What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My British mother would sometimes make pan haus for my father. As an adult, a neighbor and I had a pig roast. My mother was angry we did not keep the head on ice for her.

I am one of the few people I know who likes tongue (had it when I was a kid), although I've never cooked it. The only place I've seen it offered was at a Bolivian buffet.

Regarding mince meat pies, I have not seen those around in ages, either. Now I have a taste for some...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

English, Irish, Scottish; no German that I know of. I do come from poor farmers who believed in using "everything but the oink" when slaughtering pigs.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

My folks used to go deer and elk hunting each fall when I was a kid, and the little bits of left over venison is what Grandma Bailey used when she made mincemeat for holiday pies.
    We had lots of fruit trees, so she had fresh apples to use in the mincemeat and probably only needed the raisins and spices. She would can the mincemeat, and then for Thanksgiving and Christmas, we would have mincemeat pie.
    Most of the mincemeat that you can buy now does not have any meat in it anyway, just the apples, raisins and lots of spices. I have made it using cooked and drained ground beef, and that turned out pretty well, although never as good as I remember those old time pies made with venison.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Popovers! I halved the recipe and made 4 so I could make 'em in my Breville. Besides there's just the 2 of us. (Used a regular 6-count muffin pan.)

popovers.jpg popover.jpeg

And now I remember why I've only made them a few times... they are very "eggy" to my taste. I put honey on one and it was good, but I won't be making these again for a while.

5. John Brunner

Funny, I just went looking at mincemeat recipes. Those who claim to be authentic tell you to use meat, and to pressure-can it a full season before you're going to eat it. Or if you're not gonna pressure-can it, omit the meat and cover it with a layer of fat.

6. John Brunner

Are these the Yorkshire pudding recipe or something else?

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My ex husband liked beef tongue. I remember trying to make it for him when I was a young bride; I was so creeped out by that thing. I had to get my mother-in-law's advice on how to cook it. (And that only happened once, lol.)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

They are the Yorkshire pudding recipe in Helen's video above, halved and with a bit of salt added to the batter. I call them popovers because I used oil in the pan instead of beef drippings.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Did you give the fries a generous spritz of oil? I use one of these... https://www.amazon.com/Evo-Oil-Spra...rds=cooking+oil+sprayer&qid=1600203545&sr=8-8 and really give the fries a good spraying when I put them in the fryer and again when I "shake" them halfway through. Still not "fried" but a bit better.

Maggie Rose likes this.
  10. John Brunner

No, they were dry logs of nebulous plant material with ketchup added to reduce the gag factor. I expected more of Walmart. Seriously. I did.

I have a small spray bottle I bought to spritz oil with, although the oil inside of it must be pretty ripe by now...I hardly ever use it. I'll try that next time. Tonight it's gonna be a cast iron pan full of peanut oil. I eat fried foods less than once a month. It ain't gonna kill me.

Maggie Rose likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I totally support fried foods. :D The main reason I don't fry stuff much is the lingering smell in the house.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

Guess what my house smells like this morning...

And the fries sucked. The directions only cited oven and air fryer methods.

It's rare that I even make fries. Next time I'll try a recipe specifically for homemade air-fried fries.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You'll probably have the best result from hand-cut fresh fries, foregoing the "air". I guess we've become accustomed to the air fries because that's the only type I make anymore (and not very often.) I keep a bag of "Ore-Ida Golden Crinkle" fries in the freezer and that will last us for months.

Before I bought the air fryer I'd scatter frozen fries on a baking sheet, spritz liberally with oil, and bake in a HOT oven for about 18 minutes. The oil makes all the difference IMO.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I can't decide what sounds good for dinner today; maybe stir fry since I need to use up some produce. Or we could have "Chicago style" hot roast beef sandwiches with leftover pot roast.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Tatar Tot casserole..never made before.

Beth Gallagher likes this.