What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Reading Ken’s baked potato thread started me thinking about how much I enjoy a loaded baked potato, but spuds are definitely not a low carb food, so instead, I made a loaded cauliflower casserole to eat with our fried chicken.
    I just made it as a skillet casserole and didn’t use the oven, and it still turned out to be delicious, and we are both full and satisfied now.
    After a while, I will make another batch of the low carb cheesecake, but right now, I am recuperating from swimming and having such a filling meal.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We had two all-Alaska dinners in a row. Yesterday we had salmon two different ways, with peas and potatoes and salad. Tonight we had moose roast, potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and beans. September is our most abundant month fresh local stuff.

Yvonne Smith and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Moose roast > Um how does that taste exactly ?

4. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Last might we had: meatloaf, corn on the cob, and sauteed zucchini with onions,and garlic..and butterscotch cake with walnuts..um it was tasty.

Don Alaska and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

As with all wild meat, it depends on what they have eaten. Most moose here tastes a lot like beef but leaner.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Sausage, fresh beans, fresh corn, fresh Trombocino squash, fresh tomatoes, and eggplant/aubergine, all from our gardens except the sausage. It was wonderful! It is satisfying when you can produce your own food.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Made my leftovers veggie soup and corn bread ...for some reason that was just...'spot on ' for today:)

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I made a Greek-style salad with banana peppers, feta cheese, cucumbers, onion, tomatoes, and lettuce. I used a flavored rice vinegar in the dressing and it was delicious.
    I had some peanut butter for dessert.
    Bobby is having his Big Daddy double decker hamburger, (well over a lb of meat in that thing !) and he also had some of my salad with ham and pita bread earlier.

Evelyn and I went to the farmers market this morning, and I discovered I only had $4 with me, which doesn’t buy much. One seller had a basket of discarded cukes and maters, and I asked him how much for those.
    He gave the whole basket to me because he was not going to take it home anyway. I spent my $4 for some of his best tomatoes, and then he also gave me a little bag of extra squash that he was culling out.
    So for my little bit of money, I came home with over 20 lbs of veggies from the farmers market !
    I thanked the farmer, and then I said a little prayer and asked God to bless him for his generosity.

Holly Saunders and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

@Beatrice Taylor, I did a trial run on baked egg rolls for lunch today just for fun. Didn't quite follow your recipe though. I made it up as I went along. No garlic or ginger. I think I bought my first ever bottle of soy sauce. o_O So salty. Glad I tasted it first.

Beginner's luck they turned out pretty good. Just need a little tweaking, mainly less sausage. The only major problem---the egg roll wraps I got are not square! :eek:

How can you roll an egg roll neatly, if the wrap isn't square. Going to get out a ruler and square them up next time.:D

Beatrice Taylor and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart , I use Soy sauce in my cooking a lot instead of salt , particularly for stir fries... I always use Light Soy sauce...I find the dark sauce too intense... but you do have to be very sparing with it due to the high salt content..

Nancy Hart likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Tonight my o/h drove into town and got a take -out Hot spicy veggie Indian curry and fried rice and poppdoms for himself , and a Turkish Doner kebab for me..and we sat eating it on trays in front of the Tv watching a nature programme... :D

Don Alaska and Hoot Crawford like this.
  12. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I made a stir fry with chicken, squash and okra on brown rice. I always buy the low sodium soy sauce. It's still plenty salty.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Be careful Nancy you could end up like Howard Hughes.

During his stays at the Desert Inn in Vegas, he made the chef cut each piece of chocolate cake he ordered into an exact square, which he checked with a ruler. If they weren't square, he sent them back.

Joe Riley and Nancy Hart like this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Round 3. Nailed it. Squared-up wraps. Both lunch and dinner today. :D

eggrolls2018.jpg

Yvonne Smith and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  15. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm fasting tonight. Trying to work fasting into my regular schedule.
    I want to record a fact: today is the first day I can remember, going all the way back to my Korean days, I have not drank a cup of coffee. There may have been times when I was quite ill, say with pneumonia, when I didn't get a cup of coffee, but I don't remember those times. I had tea this morning before my wife got up, then made her coffee. I skipped breakfast and coffee this morning. Didn't think about coffee until tonight, when I had another cup of tea.