What's A Gadget You Can't Live Without?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Diana Kristof, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I guess it happened on The Island. They put a bunch of people on and island. They are allowed to wear clothes. A couple of episodes at least one guy had glasses on. The could not boil water and were starving because they could not get a fire started.
    Screaming at the tv didn't work.
    I guess I was remiss in my daughter's education. She didn't know about lenses and fire either.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's an interesting point. I wonder if there has to be "certain conditions" and a "certain prescription" in order for that to work.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think any convex lens will work.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Enter the p38 military personal can opener which everyone should have ready access to. When all else fails, it always works.
    upload_2022-6-1_8-18-57.jpeg

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

A gadget that can make me laugh.

Siri is an Apple gadget that I use to dial numbers, send text messages and occasionally find a song or two and a couple of other things but what I didn’t know is that “she” can make me laugh.

The other night I was watching a show and suddenly Siri pops up and boomed, “I’m right over here”!
    Say what? said I. “I know where you are”!
    It took me a second and then I realized that a man in the show had said over the phone, “Seriously, where are you” which is what Siri responded to.
    I had to laugh about the whole thing because for a moment I thought Siri was trying to get my attention and there I was almost holding a conversation by answering her.
    Poor Siri needs attention too !!

Thinking about it though, a person is supposed to say, “hey Siri” for her to crank up but nope, not that time.

6. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My go-to gadget has to be my iPhone Pro Max. Aside from being a phone, messenger, map, news source, calculator, alarm clock, magnifying glass, flashlight, notebook, doorbell monitor, air quality monitor, police scanner, weather reporter, camera, etc.; it can also control my drone and other cameras. There's probably more functions that I haven't used in a while.

7. Harold Pollner

Harold Pollner Active Member
    Registered

VELCRO!

You won't admit it, but Velcro is the most used and dependent item in our lives!

Hal

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yes, of all the technology that the aliens gave Eisenhower, Velcro is probably used the most and costs less than the stealth bomber.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I’ll have to get one of those lefties for my wife.
    upload_2022-6-14_7-35-10.png

10. John Brunner

Walmart carries a cheap (<$2.00) kitchen hand towel with a magnet sewn in the corner. I love the thing. My dish-drying towel hangs over the handle to the freezer, but is forever slipping off and landing on the floor. I can stick this magnetic towel anywhere I want to on the fridge or the stove, and it stays put.

These are not on Walmart's website because it's an item stocked by a 3rd party vendor who displays them wherever they think it will best sell, so while there's a price in the system for checkout, there's no way to view or order it on the website. Here's a pic of a similar item:

[​IMG]

I like them so much--and they're so cheap--I have 5 or 6 of them so there's always a clean one handy.

11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

OK, I admit it. There's technology that I actually like ,although I could do without if the shtf.
    I love my garage door opener, my dishwasher and my washing machine. And all my outdoor equipment cuz the sheep just don't cut it. And I do use the coffee maker more than I should.

12. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Years ago a guy loaned me his corner easing plane. Corner plane, chamfer plane or chamfering plane are other names for this tool. It was adjustable and simple to use and I've looked for one like it to buy ever since, with no luck. I finally found and ordered this one online and I can't wait to get it and use it. It's more complex than the one I borrowed but maybe more versatile also. It comes with several different blades. Since I've gotten into building furniture I need it.
    CornerPlane.jpg

John West likes this.
  13. John Brunner

Is that for when you rip your own boards?

14. Dwight Ward

Registered

I'm not quite at that stage. I'd want a power planer to do all that and I don't have the space for more power tools. I guess i could make the router table do some of that work with lighter stuff but I'm still learning by trial and error - many errors.

(edit) Of course I have to rip boards but I try to keep those towards the sides where I can cover them with trim of some kind to hide any rough cut. I'd like to get to a point where I can show natural grain even at the edges but I'm not there yet.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  15. Dwight Ward

Registered

I forget if I posted this pic of the kitchen table I made. The top is cdx plywood - not normal furniture material. I just like using what I have on hand.
    Table.jpg