What's A Gadget You Can't Live Without?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Diana Kristof, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

At first thought I would say my micro oven, but we are living without one now and it's doable. Just can't pop microwave pop corn now and got to get store bought or Jiffy pop which is expensive, so I buy CVS pkg. pop corn for a dollar or 1.29. Then like you I though of a coffee maker, till I bought instant and boiled my water ina pot and added my instant coffee. I thought of my automatic can opener until I bought hand can opener because we got to be hurricane prepared and have to get one, so we don't have an electric can opener now. :DI can't do without my computer at all.

Thomas Stillhere and K E Gordon like this.
  2. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:)Yeah we like it too especially the buttered ones going for 1.29.

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't like microwave popcorn. We pop ours the old fashioned way, in a heavy pot on the stove.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I pop mine in the microwave but it's not pre packaged just regular popcorn that I put into a microwave popper that costs around $7.99.

This way I control salt and butter, usually no butter. I might use a little butter spray.

Sheldon Scott and K E Gordon like this.
  6. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

You can make your own microwave kettle corn using just a regular paper bag, a little butter, salt and sugar.It is cheaper and you are not getting so many chemicals. I have not tried making regular popcorn but I think the results would be just the same. It is worth doing.

Sheldon Scott and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

image.jpg This is what I have. I put 3 TBS of regular popcorn in it and set the time for about 2 mins 28 secs. Pops better than on the popcorn setting.

8. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

It is a toss up between my remote control and my iphone. I actually need both. My flat screen has no buttons with which to chsnge channels and my iphone to surf the internet.

Diana Kristof likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a hundred acres of wooded land in northern Maine, with a camp on it, but have also camped at Baxter State Park, and at places along the Appalachian Trail, both of which can be very quiet outside of the summer season.

10. Diana Kristof

Diana Kristof Veteran Member
    Registered

Beautiful country. :) I am actually originally from Maine, and I love New England. I have been to Baxter State Park, many years ago. I also really love Acadia. I remember seeing a lot of deer and Canada geese when we went to Acadia.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Diana Kristof

Diana Kristof Veteran Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Page, now that I like! I am currently going through a lot of the Pop Secret 100-calorie bags, and have it timed down to about 1 min 38 seconds on my microwave. It's funny how we memorize those perfect popcorn times. That looks like fun, though. I wonder if you could put seasonings right in there with the kernels.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I've never tried it, don't know if it would burn or not but I may try it next time I make popcorn.

The popcorn kernels I buy are 120 calories for 3 TBS and that fills that container almost full.

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A gadget I cannot do without? Rough question I must say! Would it indeed be the water distillery or perhaps even the table top ice cube maker?

No, popcorn poppers, water distilleries, outdoor smokers, ice cube makers, coffee pots and even the remote control still leads me to the one gadget I find it very hard to do without.
    As opposed to the outdoor doniker, I really, really like my indoor John C. or better known as the handy dandy flush it toilet. The Charmin hung next to it isn't a bad choice either.

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have one of these. I used to put popcorn in a paper bag with a couple of staples in the top, but this works so much better than that.

15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

with the power outages, I have found that I need the furnace although we can go to the barnhouse and use the wood stove. And a flush toilet. two days of not flushing--not pleasant.

Don Alaska likes this.