What's A Gadget You Can't Live Without?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Diana Kristof, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd be lost without my iPad :D its so convenient to have it sitting on my table next to my recliner chair.
    I'm going away on a month long holiday soon ,and each year I used to lug my heavy, slow laptop with me on holidays .... my iPad fits in my handbag, heaps lighter I don't have to take it in and out of its protective case each time I go through security at the airport .......They are a very good invention .:D

I have to agree with @Joe Riley about the remote control mute button ..it gets used quite frequently in my home ..I'm sure the add breaks are getting longer

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Active Member
    Registered

I don't have much to choose from as I have only a cell phone and a netbook that i find handy and useful. Out of these two electronic gadgets, i would probably missed my netbook than my cell phone. I love surfing , researching, and just reading the news on this device than in my cell phone.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't have too many gadgets these days, but I guess it would have to be my cell phone. I only use it via wifi here at home, as I currently don't have cell service, but I use it for all sorts of things. My next favorites would be my Kindle Touch and my digital camera, but I can use the phone for both reading via the Kindle app, and also for taking pictures, although of course the quality is somewhat better with the real camera, even though the phone has a slightly higher # of megapixels.

4. Diana Kristof

Diana Kristof Active Member
    Registered

Absolutely! I do like my vacations without the tv, internet, phone. Sometimes I will take a week and not use one of those, or all, but usually I do have to use the internet for work so it is harder to vacation from.

I loved camping when I was a kid, so now when I go, even if I'm semi 'glamping' in a cabin with a shower and electric lights, I still love that I get that sense of nostalgia along with the beautiful quietness.

Where do you camp?

5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't know if a riding lawn mower counts as a gadget, but truly I need that in the summertime. I can't believe the first like 6 years I was here I had a walk behind lawn mower. What a pain that was. The rider makes everything so much easier. and is bearable to use in the heat. I guess the rider may be under the "lawn or driveway" gadgets or equipment that we can't live without part of the program.Simply love and adore my kindle in terms of traditional gadgets.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

At first thought I would say my micro oven, but we are living without one now and it's doable. Just can't pop microwave pop corn now and got to get store bought or Jiffy pop which is expensive, so I buy CVS pkg. pop corn for a dollar or 1.29. Then like you I though of a coffee maker, till I bought instant and boiled my water ina pot and added my instant coffee. I thought of my automatic can opener until I bought hand can opener because we got to be hurricane prepared and have to get one, so we don't have an electric can opener now. :DI can't do without my computer at all.

K E Gordon likes this.
  7. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

:)Yeah we like it too especially the buttered ones going for 1.29.

9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't like microwave popcorn. We pop ours the old fashioned way, in a heavy pot on the stove.

10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I pop mine in the microwave but it's not pre packaged just regular popcorn that I put into a microwave popper that costs around $7.99.

This way I control salt and butter, usually no butter. I might use a little butter spray.

Sheldon Scott and K E Gordon like this.
  11. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You can make your own microwave kettle corn using just a regular paper bag, a little butter, salt and sugar.It is cheaper and you are not getting so many chemicals. I have not tried making regular popcorn but I think the results would be just the same. It is worth doing.

Sheldon Scott and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

image.jpg This is what I have. I put 3 TBS of regular popcorn in it and set the time for about 2 mins 28 secs. Pops better than on the popcorn setting.

Diana Kristof and Sheldon Scott like this.
  13. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Well-Known Member
    Registered

It is a toss up between my remote control and my iphone. I actually need both. My flat screen has no buttons with which to chsnge channels and my iphone to surf the internet.

Diana Kristof likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a hundred acres of wooded land in northern Maine, with a camp on it, but have also camped at Baxter State Park, and at places along the Appalachian Trail, both of which can be very quiet outside of the summer season.

15. Diana Kristof

Registered

Beautiful country. :) I am actually originally from Maine, and I love New England. I have been to Baxter State Park, many years ago. I also really love Acadia. I remember seeing a lot of deer and Canada geese when we went to Acadia.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  16. Diana Kristof

Registered

@Chrissy Page, now that I like! I am currently going through a lot of the Pop Secret 100-calorie bags, and have it timed down to about 1 min 38 seconds on my microwave. It's funny how we memorize those perfect popcorn times. That looks like fun, though. I wonder if you could put seasonings right in there with the kernels.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  17. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I've never tried it, don't know if it would burn or not but I may try it next time I make popcorn.

The popcorn kernels I buy are 120 calories for 3 TBS and that fills that container almost full.

18. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A gadget I cannot do without? Rough question I must say! Would it indeed be the water distillery or perhaps even the table top ice cube maker?

No, popcorn poppers, water distilleries, outdoor smokers, ice cube makers, coffee pots and even the remote control still leads me to the one gadget I find it very hard to do without.
    As opposed to the outdoor doniker, I really, really like my indoor John C. or better known as the handy dandy flush it toilet. The Charmin hung next to it isn't a bad choice either.