What Would You Do Without A Computer These Days?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Holly Saunders, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I was just thinking about this the other day..and earlier it prompted me after reading someone else thoughts on it elsewhere ..that we as seniors are much more fortunate than our parents or grandparents as we get older and possibly lonelier to have access to the outside world and all the information..books, shopping and social interaction .something many of our elderly parents and grandparents would never have had..particularly if they were housebound and and with no family or friends nearby..

If you were unlucky enough or unable to afford a computer these days how do you think your life would be different?

Linda Binning and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  2. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Can't imagine what the feeling would be! Lost! ... more reading, more radio.
    Probably the first thing is that I would feel isolated, even though I live in a city and neighborhood surrounded by many people. ... probably I would have to have more animals for company. :D
    Computers have empowered us so amazingly.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Registered

Absolutely Bonnie...I think empowerment..is the word to describe what seniors have been allowed to retain by the use of technology..whereas in the past so many felt they'd lost everything when they were alone, and essentially cut off from the world, friends and many family..maybe left with just a neighbour or 2 to pass the time of day with, a trip to the shops..or a weekly bingo club or similar, and tv and radio all day long for company ..but now..life needn't change for us as we age necessarily too much as we make friends, learn, and keep in touch with family, friends, keep our brains sharp, and even travel all over the world through Videos, places we'd never have dreamt of ever seeing!!

4. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

Going back to only neighbor gossip, TV and a newspaper world now seems barbaric... :D

Just love the interaction of information on forums like this ... and especially the people!
    As the saying goes ... I learn something new everyday! Can't beat that! .. keeps the old brain sharp.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Although my work requires a computer since I am with the IT department, I'm not really a computer buff at all. When I'm at home, I seldom use the home computer and the most is my cellphone only for communication and sometimes social media - my participation in social media is very minimal and there are time that I don't open my Facebook account. Especially when we are on vacation, I never even think of going to a cyber cafe to rent a computer. So I guess I can not only survive but live comfortably without a computer.

6. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

I would be extremely lonely and cut off from the world if I didn't have my computer. I don't care much for TV but I do read a lot. I'd still have my books and hobbies but I like the human interaction that comes with social media.

7. Holly Saunders

Registered

I agree Linda....I watch very little TV out of choice ..about an hour a day at the most is my limit..so I couldn't imagine being stuck in front of one all day. ..and I love music and books, but of course none of those things would prevent loneliness ..or keep the brain constantly in search of new information. My goodness you can even take an exercise class straight from Youtube if you wish..no need for an elderly person to even wonder if they are being fit enough sitting around the house.. they can just turn the PC on and voila...take a gentle bit of exercise and keep themselves fit :D

8. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

It's difficult to say how I would feel living without IT, my immediate reaction is like others have said, loss of interaction with people online and so many other improvements to life that computers have brought.

On the other hand I was happy and enjoyed a full life before computers so I guess I would adjust over time. Recent technology developments have changed most of our lives so much, it's hard to imagine going back, so I guess this adjustment would be difficult at least initially.

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

Just think of all those cheap flights and holiday bookings not at our fingertips any more Terry. :eek::D

Terry Page likes this.
  10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

My computer uses up about 1/3 of my days. TV and eating/naps use the other 2/3's. Without a computer, I might be forced to socialize more, either in my building or at the public library at the end of my block. I'm not a social type person, except online.

Holly Saunders and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  11. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

Funny_Computer_jokes_humour.jpg weird-pictures-computer-friend-dating-online-cartoon.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I live alone and it's my soulmate. In fact I get along better with my ipad then I did with my ex.

I can't imagine going without it for even a day. That's why I pay extra for a cellular ipad and data every month, just in case I can't connect to wireless. I have even gotten a juice back for battery back up.

Before when I just had my computer and the internet would be out for some reason, I felt lost and almost panicky.

For me it actually feels like part of my vision is going. I'm an addict! :)

13. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

When I worked in IT, the last thing I wanted to see when I got home was a computer. Obviously, things are a little different now; since those days, the internet has grown and grown and the number of devices one can use has taken off since the days of the standard-issue PC. Most of what might, loosely, be described as work for me requires me to be online and as a writer, I need some form of word processing equipment.

It is, I think, relatively easy to adjust. In the mid 1990s, when I worked in Africa (ironically in IT), I had no computer at home and I didn't even have a TV. It didn't bother me at all. I listened to short-wave radio, mainly the BBC World Service and I read a lot of books. I had no fridge and my "cooker" was a tiny stove. I got along perfectly well, so I think it's quite easy to adapt.

14. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

True Holly, though without a computer I wouldn't have met Lisa in the first place, so maybe I wouldn't be travelling ;)
    It's true my whole life revolves around being online, all my banking, travel and most of my communication, music and movies as well.

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I even text when I'm watching the 2 older grandsons. The house is big there and they can't hear my yelling upstairs so if I'm downstairs and they are upstairs, I text them.

This is a snippet with the 12 yr old that last time I was there...

image.jpg

Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.