What Would Be Your Solution To Eliminate The Street People Problem?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

There is an estimated 500,0oo of them living a very unsanitary life style and presenting significant health problems and risk to the general population. Are they beyond help and redemption? If so---Would it be too much like a Nazi solution to gently put them all to sleep permanately? There has been no solution to the problem so far and it fact it's getting worse.

2. Lon Tanner

Registered

The Homeless Are Dying in Record Numbers on the Streets of Los Angeles
    Homeless people are dying across Los Angeles County, on bus benches, hillsides, railroad tracks

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I seem to recall that @Bobby Cole has an answer for some of this that he, himself, has tested. Efforts made by "compassionate government entities always seems to make things worse, as it becomes easier to be homeless, addicted, or whatever.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

"The Problem" is actually "Several Problems."

Some are out there due to exigent life circumstances, others willingly embrace the lifestyle.
    But this is America. We don't do nuances.

Peter Renfro and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Registered

Can any of those problems be solved without astronomical sums of money?
    Would many street people submit willingly to Euthanasia if it was offered them? I think many would.

6. John Brunner

No!

We don't do that here. For goodness sake, Lon. Where's your head?

Back in the day, some of these people used to be institutionalized and kept on their meds, but civil rights groups put an end to that. There are days I disagree with those groups and days I am on their side, but that's another one of those "nuance" things. I'm not certain I like the idea of warehousing people and putting them into a "drugged compliance" state.

I know one thing: if the numbers increase because of lack of employment, opening our southern border is only gonna make it worse...intentionally. So we could stop THAT now.

7. Lon Tanner

Registered

Voluntary Euthanasia would not be a Nazi like solution John but a humane one

8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Voluntary "euthanasia" is NOT euthanasia, but assisted suicide in most cases. Perhaps the homeless would advocate for euthanasia of folks over 80 in assisted living conditions. Then there would be more money for the homeless problem.

9. John Brunner

Yup.

That's not a slippery slope. That's being shoved off of a cliff (and not by Republicans using wheelchairs)...and there's a line of hands just itching to be on those geriatric backs. It's all got to do with demographics and cost and likely party affiliation, don't cha know...as well as all those assets just waiting to be freed.

And it would be called "assisted suicide." There's just a number of folks who lack the capacity to exercise that "right"on their own behalf, so they need someone to "help" them. How about a cabinet-level position? Secretary of Voluntary Departure sounds nice.

Back on topic: Look at what San Francisco has done to increase their homeless problem, and do the opposite.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Lon Tanner

Registered

Tax Payers aren't paying for Assisted Living Don. The cost is paid for by the residents. I don't see or hear that the homeless are advocating for anything. They are just taking up space and leaving it dirty.

11. Lon Tanner

Registered

12. John Brunner

This is the government creating the chaos. Those people have been camping out in violation of local ordinances, just as "Occupy" did and just as illegals have for decades violated leases and Fire Marshall Codes by exceeding occupancy in their apartments by many times over. Everyone else has the rules applied to them. And why did the residents have to call the cops and the mayor's office? It's all being done out in the open, for goodness sake.

Homeless in San Fran crap in the streets with no repercussions. I wonder what would happen if I wore a MAGA hat and dropped a gum wrapper on the sidewalk.

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not one taxpayer dime goes into feeding nor housing the homeless unless it is a city or state initiative and even those are 501C-3 and 4.
    Most homeless agencies are Christian faith based ministries and receive little or no help from the taxpay dollar and if they do it’s inevitably in the form of a grant.
    And no, following the trend of the Chinese to rid ourselves of a problem is not the way to go, voluntarily or otherwise.

And out of curiosity, what makes you think that the homeless want to kill themselves? Most of the chronically homeless people I knew are survivors and so much more so than John Q. Public. I have met thousands of homeless people and I never had one inkling of anyone who truthfully wanted to die. Obviously some of them might have but suicide is an across the board subject. How many successful people kill themselves in a year? Probably 10 times more than in the homeless population.
    Sadly, the reason most homeless people or rather, street people, are the way they are because they’re allowed to be. The days of older tramps or hobos riding the rail and making camp are pretty much over. Now, most of the homeless folks are just kids between 16 and 25 and frankly, if the cities didn’t allow them to camp out in the city, on the sidewalks and under bridges there wouldn’t be as many willing to leave home.

Those who are addicted to drugs and alcohol as well as those with mental problems need help but there are so few who are willing to step out of their comfort zone to do that.
    I willingly spent a full year on the streets of Atlanta just to get some idea as to what the mindset is and it varies but there is one thing that is for certain.
    Contrary to common belief, I have never met a homeless person who likes to be hungry, cold, wet and dirty. The ministries that approach the homeless with that angle in mind are having a lot of successes.
    The Seattle Rescue Mission alone used to turn out a minimum of 70 guys and gals in their New Creation program every 3 months. They all left clean, had jobs and above all, had a belief system and a church family to help them along the way should trouble come across their path.

Note: One other program that I was responsible for was involved with the illiteracy problem. You’d be surprised at the number of homeless people who cannot read at a 5th grade level or do basic math.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

You apparently haven't been following some of the Democrat advocates of "eliminating the unproductive". Anyone not working is considered unproductive drags on society regardless of the source of the funding. Also, although YOURS may not be government-funded, many assisted living folks are on Medicaid.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Lon Tanner

Registered

Assisted Living and Medicaid are two different things Don