What Would Be a Good New Craft to Learn?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Ruth Belena, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Active Member
    Registered

I am interested in taking up a new craft in retirement. I would like to do something where I can use my own creativity, but have not thought exactly what this would be. I used to do a lot of tapestry work and I have done some pottery. I would prefer to make things out of recycled materials or found objects rather than spend a lot of money on craft materials.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Well-Known Member
    Registered

I love to quilt - it's so fascinating to take beautiful fabric, cut it up in to small pieces then sew it back together and create a completely new tapestry of fabrics, colors, textures and shapes. However, it can get expensive - good quilting fabric is around $10-15 a yard and it takes 4-8 yards of fabric, just for the top. Add in backing fabric and batting, and you're looking at $50-100 for a quilt. Plus you have to have a sewing machine and somewhere big enough to cut fabric and layout the quilt.

Something that I've found recently is zentangles. It's a type of drawing described as the "zen art of doodling". It doesn't require a lot of drawing talent - I can't draw the proverbial straight line. The nice thing about it, you only need a pad of paper, a couple of pens and a pencil for shading. It's extremely easy to do, and the results are beautiful. Try googling "zentangle images". If you want to learn some of the patterns, google "zentangle step outs". There are also lots of youtube tutorials available. I also like that it's portable - you can take it with you anywhere and do no matter where you go. I take my sketch pad with me when I go to the doctor's, when I riding in the car, when I'm watching TV, etc. If you want more information, let me know - I'd love to share my knowledge.

Ruth Belena likes this.
  3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Well-Known Member
    Registered

I want to take a class at Lowe's of Home Depot to learn how to use power tools and make simple furniture, I would use recycle and repurposed wood to make simple things for the house and garden.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I enjoy recycling and re-purposing. The main focus though would be are you making for personal enjoyment or do you intend to sell what you make. In one magazine I saw ideas for wind chimes made out of recycled flatware but you can use almost anything that makes a sound preferably gentle to the ears. Pretty simple and you're sure to find something online for the basic how-to.

I actually found a disassembled wind chime at a yard sale and reassembled. Very easy. If you've ever watched the movie 'Twister' with Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton there are scenes of different geometric wind chimes that were made by the grandmother, I think. Just beautiful....

5. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Well-Known Member
    Registered

You folks are killing me here! I am such a klutz when it comes to making anything by hand. I guess the best new craft for me to learn would be how to use super glue without gluing my fingers to the target!