What Will Be Next After Brexit?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Amie Ar, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Veteran Member
    Registered

Now that its only hours before the European Union will announce finality about Britain's exit. British economy was now in the verge of a sudden big slump as the British pound is currently very sluggish and slumping down.

Will UK be able to gain back? What do you think? :(

2. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the exit of Britain will effect the rest of the EU. I watched Charlie Rose tonight and it is predicted to take a year or two to fully disengage from the EU. Apparently, the exit was driven by two things: wanting to regain control over immigration policies and the right to make all of Britain's laws. I didn't realize that 1 in every 7 laws was made by Belgium who, I believe, is currently head of the EU.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

There was bound to be some chaos till things settle down, we've had a couple of recessions to contend with whilst being 'in' the EU
    We will get back to normality and be able to make our 'own' laws and decisions that affect 'our' country
    People should be patient and above all optimistic - being negative is 'negative' :p

Diane Lane and Holly Saunders like this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Registered

The 'remain' campaigners were very rude and antagonistic during the debates and are 'still' on this wavelength instead
    of accepting the vote and coming together on this :(

Diane Lane and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Britain will get back on an even keel in time. The British are a tough, resilient people.

6. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

I, as a Brit and a European will be changing my nationality as I believe my future security will be better in Europe than in a fractured UK. The result a huge mistake for my birth country - but as I chose to leave years ago, to make than move complete is the next natural step.

I respect the referendum - a "yes" - "no" vote is pure democracy. But the campaigning - on BOTH sides - has been manipulative and full of disinformation.

Of the 4 regions I knew England would be for leaving - but thought all 3 other regions would vote to stay. Two voted, 100% of their wards, to stay. Wales was the region that surprised me.

Scotland will seek and get independence from Westminster and stay in Europe. A international border will separate northern England from Scotland. Northern Ireland will eventually join Eire - nobody on the island of Ireland, north or south, want border controls again. The "United Kingdom" will thus be reduced from 4 (dis)united regions to 2. Wales may well seek independence one day - at which point there will be no "United Kingdom" because one region can't unite with itself. Presumably it will just be "Kingdom" ......

I agree with Ike, the British are a tough race - the result of invasions and immigrants over thousands of years - Celts, Saxons, Gauls, Scandinavians, Greeks and many more.

The turbulence of the next two to three years will eventually settle down for sure - but to what exactly? A tiny, isolated little country on the northern fringes of Europe is what will be left. In the British Isles of the future, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of people in England will have to cross international borders to visit two, maybe three regions of those islands. Those islands in total are a small landmass - the close presence of international borders in the north, across on Ireland and possible to the western region (Wales) will be a huge and restrictive presence.

The Exit vote has taken account of the short to medium term and, above all, instant gratification. There was a 72% franchise - which is amazing for the usually apathetic voters (a General Election is lucky to see a 58% turn out); However, that leaves 28% who did not vote. Some who voted to Exit have now started a campaign for another referendum because as soon as reality kicked in they had second thoughts - some from among the 28% have already joined them.

There are already 1.6 million signatories within less than 24 hours of the call for a second referendum.

To say that people were confused and didn't fully understand the long-term consequences is an understatement as this petition shows.

A 52% to 48% win isn't enough for stability. If there is a second referendum and the Exit votes wins with a higher margin - I'll have a more positive outlook for the future of what will still be a tiny country (England and maybe Wales). However, I would still want a "Stay" vote - albeit I won't have any right to vote in a second referendum as I will no longer be a British Subject but a French Citizen.

7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Julie - you obviously haven't watched the endless hours we have on the EU - not talking the debates
    The EU will run this country dry - suck every penny out of us to 'waste' as they do.
    I won't go too far with this as the subject is too emotional for me
    We will do fine without them and the contempt they show for us

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Patsy Faye Did you vote in this? Your profile says you are London born but I have no idea if this is where you are living or not.

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Babs Hunt - yes Babs, London born and raised moved away to Kent :)

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

So was this issue yours to vote for...and if so, did you? I don't know much about Britain, although now that this is in the News I will be doing some research on it. But it is much more exciting to hear from someone who is in the "thick" of things. So if you wouldn't mind sharing I'd like to hear your thoughts on what is happening and how you think it will affect all of you.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Patsy Faye

Registered

I did vote 'out'
    We, as a country have been struggling for years, a vast amount of money goes to the EU each week, we get some back BUT where our money goes
    is the decision of the EU - not ours !
    Too many decisions are made for us and we have not been successful disputing them
    The general public are fed up with the attitude of the EU and the wastefulness of them, they are not elected by 'us'
    Everything goes on too much behind closed doors - its an expensive farce

12. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

@Patsy Faye - I did watch and very closely and endlessly for the last 18 months or so because this has been on the cards for a few years. I watched both UK TV (BBC, ITV and CH4) and French and other European channels. I got involved in many "stay" and "leave" forums and discussions - how else could I make an informed decision? Certainly not by listening to the drivel and lies of most of the high-profile campaigners. It was people like Jo Cox who had constituents's interests at heart and not personal political promotion. I have lived in the UK and France under the European Union and I don't see any sucking dry - just impatience. UK Euro MPs tended to winge on, for decades, about tiny details and didn't take a longer view - thus the press in the UK has for years picked up on unimportant "laws" like "bent cucumbers not allowed", "under 8 year-olds cannot blow up balloons" - but failed, magnificently, to embrace all the positive things that were offered to them because a long-term view was needed.

I also vote in the European Parliament so have followed the debates there closely and the small, close-mindedness of most British MEPs has been appalling. With respect - the weakness of UK Euro MPs is at fault, not the system. And nothing takes place behind closed doors. The European Parliament is open and accountable.

One of the reasons I realized, when I was still a student, that I was not of an English or British mindset was because of the inability of the nation to look beyond the immediate gratification. Long-term viewpoints are alien to the British system and to most British minds.

Change takes time and good change takes longer. Britain will lose out for leaving - the euphoria of "being free" will not last and may not last at all. The website calling for a second referendum because many people have already changed their minds crashed about an hour ago because of the numbers supporting it. The House of Commons said it had seen "high volumes of simultaneous users on a single petition - including that asking for a Brexit referendum - significantly higher than on any previous occasion."

A second referendum won't happen soon but once enough people demand one it has to go ahead legally and soon even more people who backed a British exit will begin to suffer from "buyer's remorse" - ie: an "impulse vote" . The country has already been torn in 2 - literally, 52% to 48% .... of course, that sentiment goes both ways. But a second referendum, being demanded by the 28% who didn't vote (and why would they want to vote now - certainly not to vote to support the winning side, they want to overturn the result) PLUS those who voted to leave but have changed their minds will result in a much larger "Stay" percentage.

Sadly, the country is fractured and will be so for generations.

Terry Page likes this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Registered

I cannot believe that Brexit voters have now changed their minds after 'ONE' day
    I don't trust what's going on at all
    You take a different view but then you don't live here
    I see 'no' improvement in our way of life at all and I'm not talking about straight or bent cucumbers or bananas either

Sheldon Scott and Holly Saunders like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Just by reading what I have so far and I'm only guessing but I'm thinking that the ones that voted to leave are the ones we would call the conservatives in the US and ones that would vote stay would be our liberals.

@Terry Page hasn't posted here in awhile and I haven't talked to him but knowing he's far left and liberal I would guess he voted or would vote to stay.

@Holly Saunders is another UK member but I have no clue to her politics, maybe she'll enlighten me. :)
    Or tell me to mind my own business.

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Registered

If you can spare 5 minutes watch this, may give you a good idea of what we have had to put up with
    The speaker telling it like it is - is Nigel Farage