What Was Your First Vehicle?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Pat Baker, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

@Terry Page , the photo you sent me of your first car was a little different than what you posted.

image.jpg

2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

My favourite car was a white Citroen BX which I had from almost new in 1985 it had Hydropneumatic suspension and was the most comfortable car I ever had, but not the most reliable :(
    The advantage with the suspension lowering when parked meant it couldn't be clamped.

1985_Citroën_BX_GT_front.jpg

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

That was my shopping car before I converted it by putting windows in ;)

4. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

My first car, that I got in my own name, was a 1962 Ford Galaxie convertible w/red interior.
    It looked like the one in this link ....
    http://www.iagclassics.com/carpages/1962-Ford-Galaxie-500-XL-For-Sale.htm

I had that car for 4 glorious months! .. Then I was hit head-on by a drunk man!! .. Totaled the car out.
    He was a prominent business man in the area and didn't face much in the way of charges. :mad::(

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Wow Bonnie! Forget the car, I hope you weren't hurt.

Ina I. Wonder and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  6. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

They took me to the hospital emergency room and I remember getting fussed over .:).. I had deep bruises on my left arm and leg mainly .. nothing broken. I leaned way in with my head and body when I saw him coming at me.
    Not too much time to react as he was speeding too. Drunk and Speeding - good combination there!

I was just so upset about the car! .... Convertibles get totaled out when the frame gets bent, and that's what happened. A regular car doesn't get totaled out so easily.
    That was my first and last convertible.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yikes, you are very lucky though.

Ina I. Wonder and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It wasn't my first vehicle; but I had one of those old Ford Panel vans at one time, too, @Terry Page . I loved that old beast ! It was a 56 or maybe a 57, and was an unsightly banana yellow........who knows why they painted it that color.
    It was a stick shift; but on the column, and not on the floor. There were two captains chairs in the front, and the rest of the van was bare; so the kids had to sit on the floor in the back if more than one of them was along with me when we went somewhere in it. I think it even got fairly decent gas mileage for back in those days. It was around the mid-80's when I had it.

My first car that was actually for me, and not my husband was a Ford Galaxie, but not a convertable like yours was, @Bonnie Thomas .
    Mine was old and well-used before we got it, I think that it was probably a 58-59, and would have been about 10 years old when we got it.
    My most favorite vehicle was my little Mazda pickup. It was about a 92, and I had it for around 10 years. I just loved that little truck, and it had almost 300,000 miles on it before It gave up.
    I am still not sure what went wrong with it. I let my ex-husband use it over one winter, and when I left, it was running fine, and when I came back for it, it would barely start and run. I couldn't even drive it enough to get it back over the mountains from western Washington back to Idaho.

Ina I. Wonder and Terry Page like this.
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I started driving daily in 1965, and it was my first husband's 1963 Chevrolet.

The first car I bought in 1974, was a used little blue standard 1969 Chevy Nova SS. Now that was a fast little car. I had to sell it because I couldn't afford to do some repairs, so a man bought it and put it on a drag strip.

He had been after me to sell it for a year, so he gave me enough for a down payment on a 1975 Chrysler Córdoba. I drove that car until 2012, when it was stolen. I was surprised at how much I "cared" about that car.

After that I got a used 2005 Ford Explorer, now that was a learning experience, from a '75 to a '12. I ended up giving that one to my brother when I bought my 2015 KIA Sportage. And that's it for me. I've only owned four cars, and I don't plan on buying anymore.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My first car was also a '52 Ford! I hankered to do some major crazy swapping, picked up a '50 Lincoln flathead V-8 from a farmer who had the car sitting next to his barn. Stuffed that baby in that Ford, had to cut away the firewall, rear of engine sat under the dashboard! It ran good, but stank to high heck inside from oil vapors. Sold it easily, nonetheless.

Inspired, I moved to even crazier swaps! Frank

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

My first car was from Grandpa for my high school graduation present. He gave me a 1972 Toyota 2 door and it was brown.

12. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

First was a 1968 Mercury Cougar. Bad decision, it drained my wallet. Next was a 1963 Buick LeSabre (bought in 1971) which was a good car, I should have kept it longer.

13. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

image.jpeg My second car was a 46 Ford. $220.00 used.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Wow, my new sticker each year for my license plate costs that much.

15. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

I borrowed the money from a friend and paid him $10 a week until it was paid for. :)

Bonnie Thomas likes this.