What Was Your Favorite Vacation As A Kid?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Faye Fox, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Mine was the summer we spent in Alaska traveling the state

Grewingk Glacier on the Kenai Peninsula 1960
    Alaska.jpg

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Because of feed/water of livestock, farmers don't take a vacation. If they do, they have to find someone to do the feeding/watering while they are gone.

However, what I really, really enjoyed was spending a summer Saturday/Sunday at my cousins. Their parents were nearly as strict as mine were. Come Saturday night, and me and them were already freshman in high school, their parents would go bowling (league). We played music, drank soda and ate some great junk food. The next day, Sunday, my Uncle would take his ski boat out to local reservoir. That was my first taste of boating.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We never had travel vacations, either. Just weekend trips to the lake or such. We moved to Texas when I was in grade school, so then our "vacations" were spent traveling back to GA to visit family, usually on holidays.

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Greenwood Lake, New Jersey GREENWOOD LAKE.jpg

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's tough to decide.

Our vacations when I was a kid were always camping. My dad bough this small trailer that's meant to sleep 3 circus midgets little people and outfitted it to sleep 8 of us. But we were only in it to sleep or if it rained. And older siblings might pitch a tent to get some privacy.

You learned to not open the fridge while you leaned on the sink. **shocking**

[​IMG]

When we lived in Indiana, he would park the thing at Muskegon State Park for the entire summer. This was a campground that announced the arrival of each family over the PA system. The dunes were so pure white, soft and beautiful. And the lake was way safer than being at the ocean. I was 8 the last time we camped there.

When we moved to Virginia, he parked the trailer at a campground maybe a mile or so from Ocean City MD, across from Assateague Island. I would go crabbing (old school style) every time the tide came in, usually twice a day. With rare exception, I would get dozens most times. We ate well. And we would go to the boardwalk once a week (this was in the 60s when the boardwalks were fun family places to be.)

At both locations, we might spend a month or so there at a stretch and dad would come up on weekends. Then we would be there the occasional week.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Ken Anderson and Nancy Hart like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We didn't do a lot of vacations when I was a kid because my dad was a Boy Scout leader so he took his vacation at Boy Scout camp. That was fun, and I suppose I could use that, but I won't.

One year, we drove through most of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I grew up in the southern part of the UP, near the Wisconsin border, so I hadn't been to most of the UP. We spent a couple of days on Mackinac Island, then drove west through the Copper Country, then drove along the coast of Lake Superior to Ontonagon, to Ironwood, and then took Highway 2 home. Along the way, we camped out or stayed in hotels. I remember being impressed that when we stopped at a restaurant along the way, hundreds of miles from home, the people there knew my parents. Of course, I didn't consider until years later, that he probably chose those restaurants because he knew the people who ran them, and we might even have been related.

A vacation to Wisconsin Dells and the Cave of the Mounds was fun, too.

@Faye Fox, I missed this thread when you opened it. Sorry for the delayed response.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    John Brunner likes this.
  7. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Trips to my grandparents' house in Virginia. We'd stay with them a week and then rent a cottage at the beach for a week. We'd also go down to North Carolina to my great-grandparents' farm. That was really fun.

Other than that, it was camping trips to local state parks for a weekend. We kids and my dad enjoyed it. My mother looked upon it as three days in Purgatory.

Ken Anderson likes this.