What Was The Most Important Invention In The Past 50 Years?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, May 31, 2019.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow! This thread is way off topic! Will the guilty party please raise their hand? :rolleyes:

2. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

These two inventions were significant aviation safety game changers.. the inflatable airplane escape chute (pictured) and the flight data recorder/cockpit voice recorder (black box flite recorder).There is some conjecture over just who invented the chute.. was it American James F Boyle in 1954 or Australian Qantas executive James Grant in 1965?
    [​IMG]

There is no doubt as to the inventor of the flite data recorder and cockpit voice recorder/black-box flite recorder. In 1957 Australian aerospace scientist Dr David Warren built the first prototype of the modern flite recorders. In the next decade they were sold around the world. In 1967 Australia became the first country to make the installation of both data and voice recorders mandatory in major aircraft.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  3. Shirley Martin

Registered

Those Aussies are pretty smart. Maybe it's because they are upside down and all their blood goes to their brains. :rolleyes:

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I already tried that and it didn't work. :D

5. Craig Wilson

Registered

[​IMG]

6. Craig Wilson

Registered

This is a recent nifty invention/innovation.
    [​IMG]

People who often host overnite guests will benefit from investing in this couch that conveniently turns into bunk beds with a simple spin. And your guests won’t be complaining about stiff backs the following morning: Both of the mattresses have orthopedic-slated bases. Plus, even with the bunk beds open, it takes up minimal space. Sleep well.[​IMG]

7. Craig Wilson

Registered

[​IMG]
    This revolutionary alarm clock replaces the shrill beeping with a soothing melody—oh, and a pleasant odor.

I have to get one of these. Believe it or not I purchased my current alarm clock.. with the annoying beep.. 40 years ago. It now shows a very dim time read but even today it still keeps perfect time.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Bobby Cole and Nancy Hart like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Going back over the posts, I do believe that the confusion might be best resolved by pointing out that although DNA itself isn’t an invention, the mechanisms used to unwind and test the strands certainly are which is, I am certain, what you were alluding to.

With those mechanisms, one can test all sorts of things in one’s DNA like past and present drug and alcohol abuse, the possibilities of a future biological malfunction and even one’s family heritage.

Why, to think about it, (going back to my original post) one can even find out if one is related to his or her pet rock!

9. Shirley Martin

Registered

I got one! The best one of all! ...Zip-lock bags!

10. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Craig Swanson You don't use your phone? I love it because I can change the ringtones and set the clock so easily.

11. Craig Wilson

Registered

@Bess Barber my fone does not have that component. I must upgrade.. my son keeps telling me he will get me the latest.. promises..promises.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Craig Wilson

Registered

[​IMG]
    This takes the cake for new age inventions. A solar powered chaise lounge.

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Sports bras...they are so much more comfortable than conventional bras. :)

14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

oooh you are soooo old fashioned.. , you mean you don't use Alexa or Google home to wake you to some soothing music, or happy cheerleading to get up and go , or a cockerel crowing?..tsk tsk, you're lagging behind ;):D:D

In all seriousness, I still use my electric bedside clock..and even tho' hubs has Amazon Echo on his bedside tdrawers he uses his phone as an alarm

Bess Barber likes this.
  15. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Here's a tiny taste of what my fellow Scots have invented over the centuries.... (there's much more )

Scottish Inventions in Medicine
    Hypnosis - James Braid (1795 - 1860)

Born in Fife. James Braid was a surgeon, physician and founding pioneer of the practice of hypnosis, often regarded as the 'Father of Hypnosis'.

He published an influential book on the subject in 1843 called 'Neurypnology or The Rationale of Nervous Sleep Considered In Relation With Animal Magnetism'. The term 'hypnosis' came from the Greek God of sleep 'Hypnos'.

Penicillin - Sir Alexander Fleming (1881 - 1955)

Born in Ayrshire. Alexander Fleming was a scientist (biologist and pharmacologist) who was heavily involved in scientific medical research particularly in the area of bacteria and antiseptics. In 1928, while working with the flu virus, he 'accidentally' discovered the antibiotic Penicillin - this is not only one of the most important in terms of Scottish inventions, but on an international level.

He was Knighted in 1944, and received the Nobel Prize in 1945. Another of Fleming's discoveries was the vaccine for typhoid.

Anesthesia in Childbirth - Sir James Young Simpson (1811 - 1870)

Born in Bathgate, Linlithgowshire. James Young Simpson was a hysician and obstetrician who pioneered the use of anesthetics (especially chloroform) during surgery and childbirth. He faced fierce opposition from others in the field of medicine, religion and politics.

He also introduced several new obstetric techniques and practices which improved care for women both then and now. (As a mom myself, I owe this man a debt of thanks!)

Treatment of Malaria - Sir Patrick Manson (1844 - 1922)

Born in Old Meldrum, Aberdeenshire. Patrick Manson was a doctor and medical pioneer who spent his life studying tropical diseases, and was heavily involved in researching the condition commonly known as 'elephantiasis'.

During his studies, he discovered that malaria was transmitted by mosquitoes. His efforts led to the foundation of the Medical School of Hong Kong, and the London School of Tropical Medicine.

He is sometimes called 'the father of tropical medicine'.

Scottish Inventions in Science/Industry/Agriculture
    The Television - John Logie Baird (1888 - 1946)

Born in Helensburgh, Dumbarton. John Logie Baird was an engineer who invented the television in 1926 - he was the first to demonstrate a working television set and transmit a recognizable image. This is one of the Scottish inventions that the majority of the world use every day.

During WWII he was involved in the development of RADAR (Radio detection a nd ranging) with fellow Scottish inventor Sir Robert Alexander Watson-Watt, and at one time also took out patent on fiber-optics.

The Telephone - Alexander Graham Bell (1847 - 1922)

Born in Edinburgh. Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone without really trying to. In fact he was actually simply trying to build a device that would transmit sounds telegraphically so that deaf people could 'hear' them.

He continued to teach the deaf, deaf-mute and blind after inventing the telephone, and the famous Helen Keller was one of his pupils. He also was responsible for a handful of other significant Scottish inventions, including a phonograph, hydrofoils, and an iron lung.

The Vacuum Flask - Sir James Dewar (1842 - 1923)

Born in Kincardine, Fife. James Dewar was a talented physicist who invented the vacuum flask in 1892, (at first called the 'Dewar Flask' but later renamed the 'thermos flask' from the Greek word 'therme' which means hot). This is one of the Scottish inventions that I remember from my childhood, but is not seen in everyday life now... due I believe to the delicate nature of the internal glass container.

He also was the co-inventor of cordite (a smokeless gunpowder), developed a machine which could produce large quantities of liquid nitrogen and structural formulas for Benzene. He was Knighted in 1904.

The Percussion Cap - Rev. Alexander John Forsyth (1769 - 1848)

Born in Belhevie, Aberdeenshire. Alexander John Forsyth was a Scottish Minister who was also a pioneer in the development of firearms because he invented, and patented, the 'percussion cap' in 1807.

The percussion method of ignition replaced the the flintlock method which was in use at that time, and although you may not know what it is, this invention is the predecessor of the modern-day bullet.

'Macadamisation' (aka Tarmac) - John McAdam (1756 - 1836)

Born in Ayr. John McAdam was a surveyor and heavily involved in road building and management. He developed the 'macadamisation' process which led to the invention of today's tarmac (aka asphalt in the USA).

The first 'tarmac' road was laid in Paris in 1854.

The MacKintosh (aka raincoat) - Charles Mackintosh (1766 - 1843)

Born in Glasgow. Charles MacKintosh was a scientist/inventor/entrepreneur. He made several inventions relating to the iron and steel industry, but his biggest achievement was developing the waterproof fabric that is used to make raincoats.

He patented this process in 1823 and although there have obviously been other improvements and inventions in this area since his time, in the UK raincoats are often still called 'mackintoshes' (or 'plastic macs').

It seems to be that in terms of Scottish inventions, this may be one of the most appropriate, because with Scotland's wet weather a raincoat is pretty much a necessity of life!

The Threshing Machine - Andrew Meikle (1719 - 1811)

Born in East Lothian. Andrew Meikle was a millwright, mechanical engineer, and the inventor of the threshing machine around 1786. This machine was one of the major developments of the British Agricultural Revolution.

He also invented a type of sail for windmills called 'Spring sails', which helped the windmills to be operated more safely during stormy weather.

The Reaping Machine - Rev. Patrick Bell (1800 - 1869)

Born in rural Auchterhouse, Angus. The Reverend Patrick Bell was a minister who invented the 'reaping machine'. This was basically an early version of the combine harvester.

It was one of the first pieces of mechanical agricultural machinery to ever be developed.

Radar - Sir Robert Alexander Watson-Watt (1892 - 1973)

Born in Brechin, Angus. Robert Alexander Watson-Watt was the son of scientist and inventor, James Watt. He was also a physicist and meteorologist, who developed a working RADAR (Radio detection a nd ranging) system during WWII.

The principles of RADAR were known earlier than this, but no-one had yet developed a workable system. He was knighted in 1942 for his contributions to the war effort.

'Hot Blast' Oven - James Beaumont Neilson (1792 - 1865)

Born in Shettleston, just outside Glasgow. James Beaumont Neilson was an engineer who invented the 'hot blast oven' for smelting iron. This used a process which utilized a blast of hot air, as opposed to cold air, which was the current method.

His invention was patented in 1828 and it greatly increased efficiency and productivity in the iron industry - particularly in regards to railway and shipbuilding.

Yvonne Smith and Craig Wilson like this.