What To Eat?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Tony Page, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Our easy meals usually involve Costco. We like their rotisserie chicken, they also use what they don’t sell one day to make chicken enchilada bakes which are quick and easy. We really like the Ruprect’s Irish Stew, just heat and serve. Our quickest down and dirty meal is one can of chunky vegetable soup and one largish can of chicken breast mixed together as a soup.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was working and going to night classes, Saturday was my cook-for-the-week day. Back then all I had was a Dazey Seal-a-Meal. It was a bag sealer without a vacuum pump, which was fine for keeping foods frozen for only a week or so. This was pre-microwave days, so I boiled the bags to reheat the food. One of my go-to recipes was Noodles Napoli, shared with me by my mother-in-law. It was a lasagna-like casserole with egg noodles, spinach, cottage cheese, meat sauce and shredded cheddar cheese.

Tony Page likes this.
  3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Good idea mixing canned chicken soup with other soups we do something similar.

Thomas Windom and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

I had to read Thomas' comment a couple of times to understand what he meant. I think he buys canned chicken and uses that as the meat in other convenience foods (like canned veggie soup.)

Tony Page and Thomas Windom like this.
  5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

We had one of those battery operated handheld sealers that worked with special Ziploc type bags, and unfortunately it worked for only a year but it was great while we had it.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes that's exactly what he does, we've done similar things with canned breast meat chicken it's a handy item to keep in the house.

Thomas Windom and John Brunner like this.
  7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

We have some English muffins that are a few days old I think I'm going to convert too mini pizzas for lunch today. A few weeks back I found a pizza sauce that comes in a container that looks like a salad dressing container, it's squeezable.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. John Brunner

I was never able to get those Ziploc freezer bags to keep their seal, so I started using the regular bags and making them extra long. That way, I could cut off the top, take what I need, and have enough slack left to reseal it again and again as I consumed the contents. I have a bunch of Ziploc vacuum bags that need to go to Goodwill (someday.)

Tony Page likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My favorite Rao's is the "homemade vodka sauce". I usually cook about a 1/2 pound of italian sausage, broken up well and drained, then add it to the sauce. (My hubby likes meat sauce.) It's pricey but very good jarred sauce.

Thomas Windom and Tony Page like this.