What To Do About A Sparsely Looking Flower Garden?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Von Jones, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The summer is now in full swing and the perinnels that are suppose to be blooming are very scarce. Usually at this time I see lots of color in my backyard. I'm disappointed and thinking that my gardens need something that I haven't thought of. I'm open to any suggestions to prepare my gardens for next season. What do you do?

2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife usually plants lots of annuals in the bare spaces every summer.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

This would be the quickest solution if I wasn't so undecided about which ones I want. But I think this is what I'll be doing. Which annuals does you wife select? Can you do photos of them?

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

No pictures. Depending on sun or shade she plants impatiens ( I think they were named after her ) or Petunias quite a bit. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Yvonne Smith and Von Jones like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I agree with Sheldon, and we plant impatiens and petunias also . In the shade I have some coleus and as a backdrop, there is the sunchokes, which come back and spread each year. It is late this year to plant them; but this fall when people dig up the tubers, you can probably find some either cheap or free from someone in your area. I would even be happy to mail you some tubers this fall if you want to start some.
    They look like a yellow daisy, but they are a member of the sunflower family, and are perennials. We have at least one thread on here about the Jerusalem artichokes, if you are not sure what they look like.
    I also plant my tomatoes , squash, and cucumbers around in the yard along with the flowers, and it makes it easier to water; plus we have so many trees that there really is NO place that gets enough sun to have a regular garden area.

Sheldon Scott and Von Jones like this.