What To Bring To A Sick Relative In The Hospital?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Corie Henson, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

My husband's aunt is very sick and presently confined in the hospital. We visited her yesterday and I brought a dessert food similar to a flan. But unfortunately, she is diabetic and her blood sugar wouldn't sit well with what I brought. Tomorrow we are going to the Sunday market and would buy fruits that we can bring to the hospital. If I'm not mistaken, the tradition in the US is bringing flowers. Am I right on this? But over here, food is more accepted as a token to a patient.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

If I were in the hospital I would prefer food but flowers are more practical. Many hospital patients are on special diets, some quite strict, according to their illness. Bringing food could be harmful.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Food and flowers are both traditional and acceptable in hospitals here...

...another nice gift would be a photo in family photo in a frame to sit on her bedside so she knows you are always thinking of her...or if she has any pets, a photo of them to sit on the bedside cabinet might be something that would comfort her too ....or perhaps a small precious momento from her own home..a favourite ornament or something which makes her feel less isolated from her home and family!

The food in Uk hospitals is generally dreadful so most people take food and fruit...which they can bring from home, or can buy at the shops in the entrance corridor of the hospital !!