What Threw You?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Bobby Cole, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I know. The topic is what it is and sounds kind of "dunno" so I suppose I should explain.

My uncle is about 10 months older than I am. In our younger years we were pretty much treated as brothers more than uncle and nephew. Although we liked that type of relationship we both had totally different interests which physically and mentally split us as time went on.

My uncle: His dad was a preacher so he later became a preacher. He's now retired but was a leading pastor in the Church of God for nearly 40 years. When he was younger he was a body builder/weight lifter. At the age of 18 his school coach invited a muscle mag to come and interview him and take a few pics but my uncle refused the interview. Something about being humble before the Lord and not wanting public notariety for the wrong reasons.
    He still lifts and runs 10 miles a day. I kind of had this image of a "mans man" with a Bible in his hand.

What threw me? Today I got an invitation from him on facebook to play...........candy crush. Now, all I can imagine is a finger which eventually attaches itself to a 21" bicep, hitting a puter key to make the little candies do whatever it is they do. Oh the humanity!

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Well, life keeps us going in whatever direction we want to go. Maybe your Uncle is reaching out to you to get in touch with him now. Who knows what your Uncle's life is like now. Rekindling relationships is a good thing. You are family and family is always good to have around no matter what age we are. It is up to you to get in touch with your Uncle or not. I think it's a good idea to get in touch with your Uncle because he is family. I play at pch.com and candystand.com too and I'm 60! Nothing wrong with playing games especially if you win money and prizes. Have a wonderful weekend! :)

Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I think maybe I did not explain the thread properly. The question was "what threw you?" In other words, what is or was it that you imagined that wasn't the reality?

Such as: Someone describes a poodle with a pink tu-tu on. It would be natural to imagine a female whilte poodle with a pink tu-tu but in reality it was a brown male poodle with the tu-tu.

What threw you is akin to "what shocked you?"

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Bobby, Krissttina seemed to be offering you encouragement. Your reply threw me.

Bobby Cole, Bill Boggs and Ike Willis like this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember when I was around ten or so, and a member of the School Safety patrol. We had a weekend camp that Summer, and all of us "Safety's" were sitting on the ground, around our adult leader. It was getting dark, and there was no outdoor lighting. We had flashlights, so I turned mine on and shined it on the leader, so he could be seen by all. After awhile, he stopped and remarked about how I shouldn't be shining my light in his face. I turned it off and felt pretty low. I thought my idea was a helpful one, I guess...and was shocked that it wasn't. I have never forgotten that moment.

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Joe Riley.......Patrol Guy! Wow, me too! Did you guys have the three way white belt and have to learn how to roll it up properly too?

First it was @Brittany Houser and the carnival and you as a patrol guy. The stuff I haven't even thought about for years but the patrol boy thing kind of throws me because I hadn't remembered until you mentioned it that I too used to do the job that adults now do. Bobby Cole........Crossing Guard. Patrol boy extraordinaire.

I personally do not see a problem with your thoughts regarding the flashlight. The leader probably needed to "lighten" up a bit.

Joe Riley and Brittany Houser like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Quite right indeed Joe. I do humbly appologize for not rendering a thankyou for the support. I actually get on extemely well with my uncle though. Our individual lives grew in different directions but we remain as brothers.

The thing is with the candy crush game is that nearly all of the games that are played ask the player to post their games on FB. (you have to voluntarily push the button for "yes") After a bit the game automatically invites all the friends he or she has on FB to join in the game.
    What threw, or shocked me, was that he played any games at all! He's a hardliner! No movies, no dancing, no jewlery, practically nothing of the world in general. To find out on FB was in fact the farthest thing I thought my uncle would be entertaining himself with.

Again, dear @Krissttina Isobe, many thanks for your concern and a most uplifting post.

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.