What Religion Do You Follow?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Helene Lawson, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to be a Catholic, don't know if I still believe in God, because there aren't any strong arguments that he exists, and I've never been a faithful person. How about you folks?

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm a non believer in any of the gods. I'm interested in the theory that visitors from another planet came here and the people assumed they were gods.

But an all powerful being that created the universe from nothing and can hear everything everyone says and sees what everyone does.....Nah.

Tom Locke likes this.
  3. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I was also a Catholic, at least by birth, but fully atheist now. As for all this creating the universe stuff, I think Darwin put paid to that 150 years ago or so.

4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm a retired Catholic. However, I believe in God, the teachings of the Bible and enjoy listening to sermons that don't end with "send me all the money you can".
    I consider myself a Christian and pray every day. I have a strong belief in prayer.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Allison Schuck

Allison Schuck Veteran Member
    Registered

I am a believer. I attend a 'Christ' centered church. I don't believe in religions that don't believe Christ Jesus is the Son of God. I never argue religion, simply let everyone believe in what they see fit. I have lots of non-christian friends.
    In my opinion, God can't be proven, it is "believing by FAITH" that tells the tale. Nothing has to be proven to me, I would rather 'believe' and be wrong, than 'not believe' and be wrong.

Last but not least, my faith comforts me when I need comfort.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't believe that it is necessary to adhere to the particular doctrines of any denomination but I do believe in God, and my beliefs correspond most closely with those of the Anabaptists or Mennonites. Growing up, we had only two churches: Bethel Covenant and Lutheran. When I moved to Southern California, where churches of every imaginable denomination could be found within driving distance, I did an examination of my beliefs, and compared them to several different denominations, and determined that the Anabaptists made the most sense to me, and I haven't changed that opinion. However, since leaving California in 1983, I haven't lived near enough to a an Anabaptist church to be able to attend.

7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was born and raised a Catholic and had studied in Catholic schools even for college. All my life I was involved in Catholic affairs and I remain a devout Catholic until now. On Sundays, I try to attend what we call the holy mass whenever I have the chance. And when we go abroad for a tour, I try to find a Catholic church for a visit and a selfie as well.

I am fortunate to have a husband who is also Catholic but he is not a practicing one. He attends mass once in a while or when his mood allows. His reason for his weak connection to the sect is the priest - most of the priests, according to my husband, would be talking nonsense instead of letting his parishioners go home. Where the mass used to be 30 minutes to 1 hour, now it is 1 hour to 1.5 hours.

8. Helene Lawson

Registered

A lot of people are born Catholics, and later appear as Atheists. The more intelligent you get and the more you go threw in life changes you're beliefs.

Tom Locke and Sheldon Scott like this.
  9. Helene Lawson

Registered

When I used to attend to the church I would never give my money for the so called sacrifice. If that was what you meant by "send me all the money you can". :eek:

10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

When I said I was a retired Catholic, I meant I retired from being a Catholic. An attempt at humor. After I quit attending mass, I used to watch religious programs on TV. I enjoyed the talks or sermons. But, way too many of them ended by asking for money. The 700 club comes to mind.

11. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

My only interest in churches these days is purely from an artistic perspective. Some of the Orthodox churches in Eastern Europe are quite spectacular in terms of both their architecture and artwork. It's not difficult to see, however, that the extravagant riches of many of these churches is greatly at odds with the standard of living of the majority of the people in the vicinity.

12. Helene Lawson

Registered

Oh sorry, didn't get that.
    Sadly, money is always the major goal in many aspects. :(

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ah yes. The one area in this conversation I believe I may be able to shed a small bit of light on.
    I am an ordained and licensed southern Baptist minister who has gone rogue. I am now, drum roll please, non-denominational! Yes, sad but true, nondenominational. (do I get a coin or something for this confession?)
    Letting alone the denominations that might be hurt by my lack of attendance, allow me to get to the "sacrifice," or collection plate that all denominations do need in order to finance their ministries. (since a half dozen posters have found this part especially annoying)
    It is absolutely better to give than receive, but, when the minister or especially the TV evangelist starts claiming that when you give to his ministry you will receive that donation back 10 fold, is where I do draw the figurative line.

They quote John 10:10 and a couple of other Biblical verses in the attempt to convince you that the word "abundantly" means $$$. I need not explain to any older person such as I that an abundance of Health is probably worth much more than money as well as other things we could use in abundance.

When I taught I used to tell my classes that if the evangelist truly believed his own words then instead of sending out newsletters with return envelopes he would send out $100 dollar bills expecting God to give him a K note for ever C note he sent out.
    If someone is forthright with me and simply says, "I need cash because" I am more apt to be a little more generous, knowing that the gift will be blessed.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

So many people had said that the most profitable business is religion. If you want to get rich quick then establish a religion. The Christian sect of Iglesia Ni Cristo is still embroiled in a scandal until now, all about money matters. The head of their church is Eduardo Manalo and the renegades are the mother of Eduardo and his 2 siblings. Can you dig that? A family squabble involving their religion. It's really a big issue because that church is a force when it comes to election - their members vote the candidates their church endorse.

15. Helene Lawson

Registered

There's many sects out there, but it's the first time that I heard about this one, so we can see how people set such actions and how money is their main purpose.