What Really Happened To The Titanic?

Discussion in 'Conspiracies & Paranormal' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was reading about the lost land of Tartaria, and someone had posted this old newspaper clipping about the Titanic. I know that things like this can be photoshopped, so not sure about this one. If it is true, it would sure change what we know about the sinking of the Titanic. I am going to look for more information about this possibility.
    E3597AB8-638F-4D22-A6D5-45B0FB317E2F.jpeg

Jim Brown and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I think those headlines were simply poor reporting and racing to publish the paper without having all the facts, as has been seen before. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

3. Yvonne Smith

I think so, too. I was reading one of the other old newspaper accounts, and it was saying that people were lost, so the one I posted was probably either faked, or written too soon , like you said @Beth Gallagher .

Edit to add:
    I found this old newspaper clipping from newspapers.com, which shows almost all of the old-time newspapers. After reading through a few of the reports, I found this one, which explains that the first news did say that the passengers were all safe, and even that the ship had not sunk.

3B1BC1FA-6A62-4ACD-9AA5-C18B6B178926.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Jim Brown and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Yvonne Smith

Babs Hunt and Jim Brown like this.
  6. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Only a few people were warned and avoided going on a scheduled trip on the Titanic , the famous ship that was claimed to be UNSINKABLE !

If you knew it was going to sink, would you warn anyone who was going on board , or who was on board already, so they could possibly save their own lives and get off the doomed ship ?

7. Jim Brown

Jim Brown Well-Known Member
    Registered

Jeff Elohim and Sheldon Scott like this.
  8. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Do you believe a theory ought to be doubted ?
    Do you believe there are many conspiracies , simply business or political plans ? (like a monopoly, or is there a difference?)

John Nopales likes this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

The thing that gives most conspiracy theories legs are the [justified] mistrust we have of those who occupy our many institutions. In the case of the Titanic, the greed of the business owners gives the theory a plausible hook. In the case of other conspiracies, it is a fundamental mistrust of politicians, the media and government.

A friend recently commented that in a couple of decades the truth of COVID will be known. I reminded him that we were coming up on the 50th anniversary of the assassination of a U.S. president, and there's still doubt among many over the facts.

Makes one wonder if conspiracy theories are mostly an American thing, since our freedoms are mostly predicated on a healthy mistrust of government (and by extension, anything that might exert power over us.)

Jim Brown and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Slightly interesting factoid:

A novel was published in 1898, fourteen years before the sinking of the Titanic. In the novel, a luxury liner called the "Titan" hit an iceberg in the North Atlantic in April and sank, killing a large number of the passengers and crew. The "Titan" was very nearly identical to the Titanic in size and type of propulsion. Like the Titanic, the "Titan" was considered unsinkable and did not have enough lifeboats.

The novel was named "Futility or The Wreck of the Titan" and was written by Morgan Robertson.

I have never come across the book, but I'd love to read it.

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

When you hear stuff like this, it almost makes you think that the book gave people ideas.

Jim Brown likes this.
  12. John Ward

John Ward Active Member
    Registered

I need to hunt the documentation but I read a while ago that all the American big bankers who were against the formation of the Federal Reserve were on the Titanic and perished.

Babs Hunt and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yes, I have read that, too, and it does seem to be plausible. I don’t have the information where I read it either, but it is all over on the internet, so if someone wants to check it out, they can search and find it.
    If it was actually the Olympic that was sunk, then it seems like the whole thing was a planned scheme, and paid off both ways for the ship owner.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  14. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

As far as it being thought unsinkable, I remember an illustration where it showed the bulkheads that separated the ship into supposedly waterproof sections, at right angles to the length of the ship. They went all the way down to the keel and then up. If all the watertight hatches between them were closed it would take a lot of damage for water from one to get into the next one (theoretically).
    Unfortunately the bulkheads stopped well below the deck, as if the designers couldn't imagine the ship filling with water past their tops. If they had carried on upwards to the deck the ship may well have been as close to unsinkable as it was possible to be. The iceberg ripped through several of the 'watertight' sections towards the bow. These filled past the tops of the bulkheads and overflowed into the sections towards amidship and the stern.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Yvonne Smith likes this.