What Part of the Country (or Which Country) Are You From?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

The character you have pictured is Sergeant Schultz from "Hogan's Heroes".

Colonel Klink is the officer in charge of the Stalag.

Hal

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I know exactly who it is. That's why my post says "WHERE is Col Klink?!!"

3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

The Colonel is in Stuttgart having his Mercedes serviced.
    H.P.

4. Herb Sutton

Herb Sutton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have moved here 3 times, I believe we will stay this time, Pinellas county FL.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@John Brunner, we have a timeshare at Massanutten (Elkton) that we go to once a year, usually around this time of the year. However, this isn't a good time to visit a timeshare, particularly since Virginia's governor seems to be even more virus crazy than ours.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That's only about an hour or so from me.

So far there's no mandate to wear a mask when outside, but you gotta wear one when inside shopping statewide. Most stores in my area don't have Mask Nazis once you've had one on to gain admittance.

Governor blackface baby killer Northam called a special session of our General Assembly to pass "law enforcement reforms." (Someone dies in Minnesota and somehow we gotta fix Virginia.) This is orchestrated nationwide. The Dems tried to reduce the qualified immunity law enforcement gets in this state for no good reason, but it got shot down in committee.

The entire administration is a piece of work. Our Lt Governor was accused of rape early in his term and quipped "With all the notoriety giving me name recognition, I may run for higher office." He is. Running for governor. Best government Soros can buy. There's a woman who's a State Senator running against him. Great lady. I've met her a few times. Open carries in the statehouse.

Regarding Massanutten...why would a northeastern boy drive all the way to Virginia to ski? It could be snowing here when you leave, and be in the 80s by the time you arrive, while you're driving through prime snow country.

7. Ken Anderson

I don't ski, and we usually go at this time of the year, after the summer people and before the ski season. It's just nice to get away every now and then. We got the timeshare from my brother, aware that having it would encourage us to actually get away at least once a year. I grew up in snow country, in the UP of Michigan, but I lived in the southern flatland part of the UP, so I never learned to ski. Oh, I've done some cross-country skiing, which including skiing down small hills, but I don't really ski.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've tried skiing a few times but was never any good at it...both water skiing and snow skiing.

Maine to Massanutten is quite the trip.

9. Ken Anderson

We stop for the night around 4:00 or 5:00 pm, so it's not a very hectic trip.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Here's another one that some of our new members might want to add to.

11. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I grew up in this small town in SW Virginia, about 2 miles from here out in the sticks close to a flooring mill.

[​IMG]

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I was born in Berrien County, GA. Raised on a tobacco farm a few miles out of town, Nashville GA.

[​IMG]

I've also lived in Baton Rouge, Louisiana but for most of my adult life around Houston, Texas. Thanks to our love of RVing, we have visited most of the lower 48, but there's no place like home.

Bobby Cole and Terry Coywin like this.
  13. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, I've lived all over the place. Like to wander. Been like that since I was 4. Naturally, Uncle Sam had a lot to do with our moving about as well.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I was born raided here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Hill. ( New South Wales ) Australia

The town is a very isolated / arid / dusty / hot part of Australia .
    Silver lead and zinc was mined there .,however all the mines are closed now

I moved to the closest city of Adelaide ( south Aust ) when I was 25 years old ,I only passed through the city and traveled to a area known as “the Riverland “ about 250 km from Adelaide to obtain work at a seasonal fruit cannery to support my three young children, I was a single mum due to my no hoper husbands drinking / womanising lifestyle which landed him in prison for 5 years in 1970
    he’s been deceased since he was in his 40’s .

The Riverland has the famous Aussie river Murray running through all the towns around the area that is used to irrigate the 1000’s of acres of fruit growing in the area, South Aust is a dry climate the driest in Aust in fact .....so mainly stone fruits are grown in the area ..no tropical type fruits.

So I still live in SA to this day and don’t plan on moving any time soon ,my husband and I live
    close to a nice quiet beach now days .....just the way we like it ,it’s close enough to the city to travel to for medical or shopping if we want to .,it’s about 1.5 hours away

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  15. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

My wife has family that live in the Paradise section of Adelaide. Some also near Mt. Gambier. I have never been but her and her sister went in the mid '90's