What Part of the Country (or Which Country) Are You From?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting group of tolerate people on this forum. I have enjoyed reading your stories, interacting in conversation with some of you and except for a couple of times when I have made a horse's rear end of myself, it's been fun and more interested because of our differences. I grew up in north Texas but I have lived in Hobbs, NM, Lovington, NM, San Antonio, TX, Nocona, Tx, Menphis, TX, Rankin, TX, McCamey, TX. I came here by invitation, as many of you did, and I'm glad I was invited and responded favorably and I find it fun and entertaining to hear and learn and exchange ideas.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I've lived in Connecticut USA all my life, in 4 different cities but all close to each other.

What I loved about where I live was when I was younger, I could be in NYC in a little over an hour and Boston in less than 2 hours when I felt like big city fun.

What I love more is my proximity to the Atlantic and very quaint little towns.

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm from Massachusetts, and lived there for the first 20 years of my life. We lived in a triple decker, in a city just outside of Boston, and my bedroom was on the 3rd floor, with a view of this Powder House, which began as a windmill, but was then turned into a Continental Army munitions depot. I moved to Texas for 7 years, then back to MA for another 9, before moving back down here for grad school, and here I remain, at least for now. powder house sign powderhouse park.jpg powder house at powderhouse park.jpg

Ruby Begonia and Terry Page like this.
  4. Victoria Whit

Victoria Whit Veteran Member
    Registered

Quebec,Canada
    Lived in the states and Greece.

Diane Lane, Joe Riley and Terry Page like this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome to the forum, Victoria!

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I was born in New Baden, Illinois. We were only there for two weeks after I was born and then the Army moved us somewhere else. Some of the places I know we have lived are Texas, Washington D.C., Louisiana, Georgia, and South Carolina. Before my dad died when I was 12 years old, the longest we had lived in one place was in Summerville, SC and I really did not want to move from there. After my dad died we moved back to Louisiana which was where my dad and mom had family. Until I married Lafayette, LA was where I spent the rest of my growing up years. And it looks like it will be where I live until I leave this earth too. It is not the prettiest place to live and it does not have pretty beaches either. But it does have what is most important to me...my children and grandchildren. And the home we have been blessed with here is perfect for my husband and me. It even has a water view now that our neighbors put in a pond. :)

7. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Veteran Member
    Registered

Born in the little hamlet of Los Angeles in the "dirty 30's", moved to San Diego in '44 and lived there till '91, then Idaho, Nevada, South Dakota, San Marcos CA, Arizona.

Frank Sanoica and Joe Riley like this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Jim, your post reminded me of Johnny cash's song.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Veteran Member
    Registered

Joe Riley Ole Johnny has me beat though but if you count just travel I do come closer.

Joe Riley likes this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Page Why Fresno, Chrissy? And, how long Thanks! Frank

11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

[​IMG]

@Holly Saunders That is a Desoto, possibly a 1957 or '58, beautiful car, near the end of the line for Desotos, I believe.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Born and raised in Berwyn, Illinois, next suburb of Chicago west of Cicero, Al Capone's town of choice. He lived in an apartment building less than half a mile from our home, though much before I was born. Left Berwyn at age 30, never to return to reside, only to attend funerals....sadly.

13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Because we were coming back from Hungary as my husband was already sick and my daughter lived in the Monterey area of CA. Fresno was the closest I could get that we could afford. Moved here in 2003 and my husband died in 2004 and I've been here since.

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Frank Sanoica ,
    I think that is more like a 57 because it does not have the big fins that the Desotos had by 1958. My first husband loved Desotos, and he had one , I think it was a '54, when I met him.
    Later he had several others; but his favorites were the 1959 Firedome V-8.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Chrissy Page I only asked, because I had driven through Fresno one time, many years before you arrived there, perhaps 1968 or so. I remember the area as being quite likeable. We had camped in Sequoia Park, then were heading for "Frisco, to see the bridge. Seem to recall Visalia as a small town, not too far north of Sequoia, miles and miles of crops planted.

I interviewed for a position with Kerr-McGee Chemical Co., east of Ridgecrest, in Trona and Borosolvay, where an immense dry lakebed had mineral deposits deep beneath it. The operation drew up chemicals from the depths. I did not accept their offer.

Frank