What Part of the Country (or Which Country) Are You From?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to visit this place quite a bit when I lived in Oxford:

New-Road-Worcester-001.jpg

2. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

...although of course there were times when it looked like this:

article-2239260-163BC1E7000005DC-406_964x585.jpg

3. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I was going to say that Tom, its part of the reason it's one of the best cricket pitches in the world, due to the feed it gets from the adjacent River Severn floodwaters.

4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I was born in Ft. Lauderdale Florida in the 50's. Then moved to GA, PA, CO, Japan, back to PA, MD, VA, So.Calif, back to VA, and now reside in NC. I liked every place I lived except maybe MD but I was only there a year.

fort-lauderdale-fl-600-sg.jpg 1955_DeSoto_Firedome_007.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Look at that beautiful vintage car in the photo....gorgeous. :D

Frank Sanoica and Lara Moss like this.
  6. From: Westchester County, NY.
    Currently: in Midwest.
    Been: Almost everywhere.

7. Terry Page

Registered

Look forward to hearing about your travels Janice

8. I meant I've been almost everywhere in the U.S., only 2 other countries.

Terry Page likes this.
  9. Terry Page

Registered

Worcester was also known locally as the town of three P's Parishes Pubs and Prostitutes
    There was a church and a pub on every street, I can only recall seeing one prostitute as a teenager outside the city library, evidently the red light area. :rolleyes:

Tom Locke likes this.
  10. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

Hummmmm........ Down here "seeing a prostitute" has a different meaning..

Terry Page likes this.
  11. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Dundee, which is not very far north of where I live, also had three letters attached to it, in this case the letter J. It was the town of jute, jam and journalism. Some wags suggest that nowadays, Dundee's Js are more likely to be reduced to two: joy-riding and junkies.

Terry Page likes this.
  12. Terry Page

Registered

Yes Ken I guess cultural differences can get you into hot water at times ;)

13. Cheryl Torrie

Cheryl Torrie Veteran Member
    Registered

I was born and raised in Lewiston, NY which is about 10 miles form Niagara Falls NY. In the border town that some of our Canadian posters have mentioned. :). I left there and moved to Central Florida, then Atlanta, Georgia then back to Western, NY for a bit and then to Memphis,TN and now I am living in Western Pennsylvania. I am considering my next move right now. Perhaps it will be some in a central or western state.

14. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Well this Aussie will educate you a bit about Australia :D
    I was born a raised in a very arid isolated town / city in New South Wales, Called Broken Hill I will post a link ,that will give you an idea of the area ,It was very hot in summer and very cold in winter .I left BH for the first time when I was 25 years old, traveling 500 km from BH to South Australia with three children from a bad marriage ( my ex who passed at 49 years , In prison,he kept the police busy)
    I escaped while he was serving a 5 year prison term to better my life for myself and children, which I achieved through allot of hard times, working saving and budgeting.. I'm now 69 own my own home ,car ...I'm not rich but I'm in a way because I own everything I have......been married for 30 years to my hubby....

One main thing that's still on my bucket list is to see snow I've never seen it yet ,at times Adelaide the Capitol city of South Australia has been known to have a very light sprinkle in winter ( Summer here now )

I still live in S.Aust in a country town two hours from the city. ( Adelaide)

Just thought of it a little interesting info about BH where I was born, it is the only town/city in NSW that actually runs on South Aust times... I'm not sure if it is still classed as a city due to the dramatic drop in population since mining ceased.

A movie that was recently showing in cinemas in Aust called ..Last Cab To Darwin, was based on a story of a man
    Who was born In BH ,and had never been out of the town untill he decided to take the trip to Darwin which had a law for a short while allowing euthanasia.. Many of scenes were filmed in BH showing a typical home many lived in and continue to live in ( nothing flash) Darwin / Broken Hill one way is approx 3.000 km
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3680410/
    It is a film well worth seeing ( it's about a man seeking euthanasia after learning he has terminal cancer )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Hill,_New_South_Wales

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  15. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I grew up in NE Ohio, out in the country, on a 90 acre dairy farm that belonged to my grandfather. Loved the country life, and all the animals. Lived in northern Ohio up through the early years of marriage, and until my husband graduated from college.
    We then packed up, three little kids and St. Bernard puppy and headed for a new life in Phoenix, Arizona. .. had been there on vacation and loved the desert.
    Life there was great for several years, but job offers in Houston, Texas were greater.... so we moved on ...
    Today .... still in the same home we bought in the 1970's.
    But, it's only me now, and two sweet dogs .... and a cat >she doesn't consider herself sweet.:p