What Our Mailman Said To Me This Morning

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, here goes:

I was talking to our mailman this AM as he was putting mail into the boxes. He is a black dude, 62 and I've talked to him before. The conversation went from me asking him about "forwarding mail", pertaining to when we move, then went to discussing some about the Oscars to the kind of music wife and I listen to.
    When I told him that my wife knows a heck of a lot about Motown and that we love Motown music, as well as we have the Greatest Hits of Kool and the Gang and Earth-Wind & Fire, he said, with a smile, "I'll bet whites are real happy with you" and we both laughed. IOW, the white folks here wonder why we are listening to black music. When we've told some black folks that we've met here, some of the kinds of music that we like/listen to, they look shocked that we do listen to black singers and groups. Don't necessarily know why, but they do seem quite shocked. Guess whites here aren't suppose to listen to black music.

I don't get it, but there it is. And, just to let everyone on this forum know, the mailman was not offended at all towards us listening to black music.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  2. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh " some black folks here do get surprised when we tell them that we do listen to black bands and old black music, as in Motown and Disco.''

"Boy, I'll (bet) the white folks here really like you!"

You don't have to read between the lines to see that he was offended by the way you talked to him.
    It's the same way that most of the whites there talk to him.
    Not the same way they talk to each other.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

He wasn't offended at all. Have no idea where you got that from. There again, just how can a person tell when someone is offended by what is said???

Actually, due to the content of the thread, about white folks, like us, listening to black music and how shocked some black folks here seem to be after hearing that we do..……...my wife told me "someone inevitably will bring up something about "racism" or "racist" in the thread. Better to not say what you did and just change the thread name and content." Guess someone read the thread before I was able to change it.

4. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

CF He wasn't offended at all. Have no idea where you got that from.CF

Since you removed the topic, you can just say you didn't say it, but...

You said he replied sarcastically.

The content of the thread was quite telling.
    Good idea to remove it.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

You did a good deed Emma. Thank you.

Bobby Cole and Emma Smith like this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm confused... just about every white person I know loved Motown music and for that matter reggae , so why would a person of colour be offended..?.. Just in the same way we wouldn't be offended if someone who is non white loved the Beatles or the rolling stones, or Pink Floyd etc...

In fact afaik music is music..you either like it or you don't, nothing to do with the colour of anyone's skin...

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is why I had limited the amount of time that people had to edit or delete their posts. The opening post was edited so that the thread makes no sense whatsoever. On request, I had greatly increased the amount of time in which people had to make corrections to their posts so that they could correct typos and the like, not so they could remove the content from their opening post. Editing out the content from the opening post of a thread that had received replies is precisely why I had previously limited the amount of time in which people could make corrections. I wish I could remove the privilege of editing posts only from those who abuse it, but I don't think there's an easy way to do that.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My wife told me not to do the thread and reminded me just how a couple of my threads, including the one about tattoos, went overboard and how much I got "told off" for how we felt about tattoos.

Anyway, I don't really know how to explain how he said it, but he said it like...…….white people here would be wondering why we would be listening to black music. And, he was smiling when he said it to me.

I was doing the thread, like others do some threads, just wondering what any of you might think. It wasn't intended to be some kind of racial or racist thread. Now I'm wondering how many on this forum listen to black music?

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just WHAT did she do????

This is suppose to be a forum that most, I guess, anything can be discussed, without the OP being torn apart about what they wrote...…..right?

Lulu Moppet likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Registered

What's Black music?... seriously what is Black music?...

Oh forget it, why am I bothering!!:rolleyes:

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Holly, you don't live where we do. White Seniors here don't listen to rap, hip-hop, let alone Motown or Disco and blacks here wouldn't even know who Pink Floyd is. Really. Wife and I don't listen to music from India and they don't listen to American music/rock. I've asked some Indian folks who live here and they've said "nope, don't know any of your music".

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Black music is Motown, which was all black singers. Kool and the Gang and Earth-Wind & Fire are both black groups. Disco had a lot of black singers/groups in that era also.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I put the title back the way it was originally. I now figure, "what the "H"". People, whether it's on this forum or any other forum are come to their own conclusions, no matter what the OP (me) says. Some may understand fully what I'm the thread is about, while others will be left in the dark to what it's about.

I also just changed the opening content back to the original.

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

but I loved Motown and Soul and Blues when I was a teen and still enjoy it now as I do reggae... I never thought of it as ''Black music''... because we ALL loved it, not just non-whites... and people still do...

I'm sorry you have that kind of divide where you live .. I just can't even imagine it. .

Hedi Mitchell and Lulu Moppet like this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Basically, I was just wondering why our mailman said what he said to me, but, to a point he was kidding, but to another point, since he knows how people here are, he wasn't.