What Little Things Drive You Up The Wall?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Arlene Richards, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, maybe that’s an overstatement. But are there (what others might consider) little things that annoy/irritate you to the point where you want to SCREAM?

Off the top of my head:

Habitual lateness – there are people who cannot/will not be on time. After they burn me several times I disassociate myself, when possible. Or, never agree to anything time-sensitive. I certainly don’t depend on them for anything.

When someone turns something simple into a huge, complicated production – and in the process usually creates problems.

If I’m in the middle of a sentence, and someone starts reading/answering a text or starts talking on the phone (often without even saying “Excuse me”). Rude.

Along that same vein, I really hate it when a cashier turns her/his head away from me and starts chatting with the bagger or another cashier…..to the point where I have to say “Here ya go” and wave my money or credit card, reminding them I’m still there waiting for them to take my money. Grrrr!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yup no need for me to say anything at all...you've covered my biggest bugbears....

Number 1 drives me insane...I am habitually early for an appointment or a meeting, and I expect people to be on time...anyone who thinks there times is more valuable than mine on a regular basis, soon gets the bums rush from me..it's the height of bad manners...and I cannot stand rude people.

Numero 2 and 3 ...are also another example of ill manners....and I do get very irritated by both those scenarios which seem to happen on a regular basis..

3. Arlene Richards

Registered

My younger sister was notoriously late – always. As the years/decades passed she got worse. Our older brother and I used to get angry and she always made it appear as if we were being unreasonable and rigid. Last I heard she worked in the type of job where you MUST be on time to relieve the other person from their shift. No exceptions, no excuses! Hmmm. Wonder how that’s working out.

Linda Binning likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I've never thought of anyone I've came in contact with as being "rude". People can ask questions and make statements that others can/do consider rude, but I don't. Guess the word "rude" simply isn't in my vocabulary. One person's definition of "rude" can be quite different than another person's. I like to joke/kid around and some people think that's rude. I just don't associate with those that can't handle a joke.

Now, what "drives me up a wall"? Basically, these things:
    Drivers that have absolutely no respect for others on the road.
    People who use the "f" bomb all the time.
    How some parents treat their kids. The parents will cuss and smoke, but tell their kids not to.
    Someone who wants to talk, talk and keep talking and not let me speak and gets upset when I go to say something.
    Medical professionals that say "don't believe everything that's written on the Internet concerning health." So, what do these medical professionals want me to do, come and see them every time I have a medical question? My banking account isn't that fat!
    "Mancho" men.
    Men and women who put up with spousal abuse, hoping things will get better.
    My SIL who thinks the world should be "peaches and cream". Would be nice, but....... She will ask me, "Why did this/that happen?"
    My BIL who doesn't care what happens to anybody in the family. It's true.

There could be more, but that's enough for now.

Mari North likes this.
  5. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Arrogance. GRRRRRRR
    Lying for the sole purpose of filling an agenda GRRRRRRR
    Anyone who would hurt a kitty... oh my goodness do I have a soft spot for them, and if I'd be a judge able to pass sentence... well, animal and child abusers would wish they didn't exist. TRIPLE GRRRRRRR
    Door slamming.
    Loud chewing.
    Profanity.
    Sneezing or coughing in my face without covering your mouth.
    Excuses.
    Obnoxious Drunks.
    Uh.... hehe , you'd better stop me, @Arlene Richards , or I'll have ya'll tied up here all evening! :D

6. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Mine tried to pull this on me once... but just once. I had to tell him that I saw the report in the New England Journal of Medicine and an AMA Journal and asked for his basis for disagreeing with the American Medical Association. (Luckily I had the foresight to write down the reference data and page number, etc.) Oh, I *am* naughty, I know, but... well, arrogance is on the list I wrote here, so.... not acceptable.

Two doc visits ago, I mentioned something and he ASKED me if I thought "we" should treat it. :) I said no because I hate taking medication of any kind. Never heard another word about it.

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

People that are late or anything not starting exactly when it's supposed to.
    Packages of broken cookies
    Forum bullies
    Liars
    Drunks
    Very long phone menus, especially the ones where your problem is not listed in the numbered choices and 0 doesn't get you a live person. Or the ones that tell you to say what you want and then say, I didn't get that ..did you say "gobblydigook"?

8. Arlene Richards

Registered

@Mari North ooohhh door slammers....they want to send a message and let someone know they're mad. :rolleyes:

More:

People standing way too close during a conversation. Even worse are the ones that FOLLOW you when you try to back away a little.

People reading over my shoulder.

Pretentious people. Ugh. I had a neighbor who got the prize for this.
    Her father was a doctor and her late husband was head of a department at the university and she graduated from (expensive ivy league college) and she loved the opera and she only shopped at gourmet food stores and blah blah blah………
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    Mari North and Karen McKenzie like this.
  9. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

Bullies
    Restaurant food not served at the temperature it should be...I like hot food HOT...etc.
    No customer service..lol
    Chewing with the mouth open.
    Door-to-Door Solicitors
    Strong Perfume or Cologne
    Super loud music in restaurants or stores
    Grouchy old people...lol

10. Arlene Richards

Registered

Being spoken to in a condescending tone.

Elevator meetings – when I was working sometimes I would be in an elevator and one person would exit, but then hold the door open while they finished a conversation with another elevator passenger. Thus, everyone else in the elevator was sort of held hostage to their conversation. Once I said “Excuse me, I need to get to my floor”.

11. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

People who check their email or FB or forums or whatever while at the table! I'm surprised at how many people do this.

12. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

People who tell me they aren't mad, when they clearly are.

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"People standing way too close during a conversation. Even worse are the ones that FOLLOW you when you try to back away a little."

This one gripes both my wife and I. Standing in line at, say, a restaurant, and folks behind you begin encroaching, sometimes bumping, poking, once, my wife could take no more, and jerked her elbow backwards. No idea whit it hit, but there was a grunt!
    Frank

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    Linda Binning likes this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Hypocrisy....

Disloyalty

Dishonesty (liars)

The above 3 are the 3 things that get me really Mad.

Karen McKenzie and Linda Binning like this.
  15. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Nothing drives me up the wall these days, don't have the energy for it, but if I am in an irritable mood lots of little things can, like queue jumping and paying by cheque (check) at supermarket checkouts, though that has been banned now, so it's seniors fumbling for small change and emptying their purse to find it. :eek:
    I hate inanimate objects that don't behave as I want them to, I end up cursing doors that bump into me, and saying why did you have to do that, never even get a sorry :( :D

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016