What Kind Of Computer Are You Using? Desktop Or Laptop?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Brian Naginoth

Brian Naginoth Well-Known Member
    Registered

Have four desktops (all Intel I 7) one laptop (Pentium, Lenovo). All lack the chip that permits running Windows 11. Looking at Qubes, Fedora Linux as possible replacements. This could be the Windows upgrade that drives a stake through the heart of Microsoft.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  2. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I've considered a laptop over the years, but never leaped...content with desktops and my desk tops serve me well. Why have that radiation on your body?

John Brunner likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Laptops are handy for traveling. Although I don't use mine on my lap, I want access to my stuff while I am traveling so hotel computers don't do it for me. If I plan on spending some time in a restaurant alone, sometimes, I'll bring a laptop too. Sometimes, I'll sit outside during the summer on my laptop. Of course, to me, they are just mobile computers with keyboards and screens larger than I'd get from my iPhone or Kindle.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Joy Martin

Registered

I worked 40 yrs and travelled a lot and I'm so thankful I escaped all the devices for that part of my life.
    My one job had me attached to a pager, talk about pain in the arse...

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was the exact same way until my employer went to all laptops and they had a great Employee Purchase program for them. For better or for worse, I can surf the web anywhere, and not be tied to a single room/spot.

6. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We had an abundance of computers and really use none of them now, iPads for just about everything. I was cleaning up old computers, off loading stuff, removing hard drives and scrapping them. We still have 4 left to do. I had bought a Mac Mini a couple years ago to replace the others but we still haven’t even hooked it up yet.

7. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

While in Nevada I accumulated about 16 computers. I had a couple when I moved there but they had a nice land fill and a lot of good stuff was dumped there like for instance all the old computers and monitors that once belonged to Cal-Vada the land developers that moved into Pahrump NYE county and developed a lot of property. They closed shop in the early 90s and only thing left was the office complex. It became a nice civic center for locals. Nice large fowl pond outside. So I started grabbing the old stuff and surprisingly most worked unless it had been rained on. It was all finally bull dozed and buried eventually but the dumping was still continuing when I moved out in 2005. I hated to leave all my collection because I had a few rare old computers. I already had a transvan loaded to the roof with all my other junk and my truck carrying nothing but tools. Today I have 3 recently built fast computers and still 2 windows 7 computers. I will leave one win 7 to use some old 32 bit things like my scanner but I will probably put Linux on the last older computer. I have ran out of room on my desk to keep so much running. I never get to finish what I start like make more space for my stuff.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  8. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have Dell desktop and laptop computers. I had a 16-inch MacBookPro laptop that I used for a couple of years. I didn't like it.

9. Joy Martin

Registered

You folks LOVE your technology and support the companies hugely...

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

So do you access the forum by telepathy or what? :p

11. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I mentioned on another thread I’ve just recently upgraded my iPad 6 for iPad 10
    The only issue I have is no home button but I’ll get used to it

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My new laptop came in today. Acer Chrome 513 15.6 HD intel Celeron N4000
    I researched high and low, watched Utube videos - bottom line.no more than i do on here this one should last least 3 years.
    Least was affordable. Having to learn Chrome talk, vs Windows and Microsoft. So far am really liking this.

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Joy Martin , yep a prisoner of tech stuff. Until today when new laptop came in, had been powerless for almost two weeks.

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Joy Martin

Registered

H a Ha, I use tech MINIMALLY, give me a good ole phone and a real person.....I get all the info I really need Right Now....the world has gone NUTS...

Hedi Mitchell and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, that's something that you and I can definitely agree on!! :D:D