What Kind of Coffee Maker is Best?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have not had a problem with it all. We brew twice a day. We also only use filtered water in ours. It has been a good coffee pot so far.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    John Brunner likes this.
  2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

My favorite coffee maker is Dunkin' Donuts:D
    We're not that fussy with our coffee so I have a Keurig K-Cup which I use filtered water and any brand that's on sale. We generally only drink one cup in the morning, it's just an easy way to get a cup of coffee.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It's been a long time since I used my french press, so I dug it out of the "kitchen overflow" cabinet in the garage. Unfortunately the glass container was cracked so into the trash it went. I decided to order a replacement; it's the Bodum Chambord 1-liter standard. I had Amazon rewards $$ so it was "free."

31yLys5-G5L._SY180_.jpg

Thomas Windom and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Krystal Shay

Registered

I spoke to soon, John. My Ninja has not been brewing the coffee very hot the last couple of days, and the good flavor of the coffee is missing. :( Time to get another coffee pot.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I really like that Ninja. I brews better coffee than any other maker...but they don't last, and I am not pleased with the support.

When you call in for support, they ask for the Date Code that is stamped on one of the prongs. When my last Ninja failed, they told me it was out of warranty and I believed them. Now that this second one has failed and I dig through stuff, I realize that my other one was only 10 months old, and they have a 12 month warranty.

When I bought the one I have now, I bought a protection plan and I registered it with Ninja. I've also had this one for only 10 months. I called Customer Service on Tuesday and explained that it "electrical fire" smokes and it shut down. I was told my issue would get bumped to "Tier 2 Support." I have no idea why they would do that, since it basically caught fire and is ruined...there is no "next step" other than the trash bin. I think they are pushing me away. I have yet to receive a return phone call and it's been 3 1/2 business days. And I can't invoke the Protection Plan because the unit is still under factory warranty...besides, Ninja needs to make good on their product. This thing is 2x-3x the price of other drip brewers.

As an aside, the "electrical fire smoke" was really the plastic around the warming plate melting. Apparently it is getting too hot. The warming plate is set at the factory to turn off after 2 hours, but you can set it to stay on for 4 hours.

6. Krystal Shay

Registered

I didn’t want to take the time to research on coffee pots, “again”. Although, my husband can search for things for hours and hours, days, weeks and months, I didn’t want to have to wait for his final analysis on a coffee pot today.:rolleyes::D I looked on line and had seen Walmart had a couple of Ninja’s in stock at my local store. I drove out and I got another one, simply because we will NEED coffee.:D I agree, I think the Ninja brews coffee better than others that we have had so far too. The hotter the brew, the better the flavor of the coffee, and I want a piping HOT cup of coffee; it seems to fit the bill on that.

Customer service, especially over the phone, seems to be horrible everywhere. It seems a person has to call and ride their ass non-stop to get their attention sometimes, and it shouldn’t have to be that way. Plus, the majority of customer service people is sitting in a foreign country and can’t speak English very well, which doesn't help matters.

7. John Brunner

That's exactly what I did when I replaced the first one. This second time I grabbed a Mr. Coffee. The coffee it makes sucks. But I can't afford $70 every 10 months for a coffee maker (well, maybe I can, but I refuse to give these guys my money.)

Krystal Shay and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. John Brunner

@Yvonne Smith

I gotta tell you again how much use I am getting out of that kettle and infuser set. I'm down to drinking 25% of the amount of coffee I had been drinking, and am stretching that with brewed chicory. I may increase the chicory/coffee ratio and cut that caffeine back even more. Rather than firing up a second pot, I've been drinking English tea, Asian teas and the Teeccino (often stretched with instant chicory.)

I am impressed with the infuser set. The inside is white (not the perfect choice for a coffee/tea mug), but so far has been completely stain-free. And I stopped using a coffee filter in it. I read the Teeccino "Brewing Tips" page, and where they discuss using drop coffee makers, they recommend using a permanent filter because "paper filters tend to brew slowly because the composite grind in herbal coffee may have some fine particles that can clog the paper." I had noticed that in the infuser set, and since I stopped using the filters, I use less Teeccino to get the same strength drink.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That is great, @John Brunner ! I was using mine a lot, too, and then when I started making the kombucha, I needed to be able to make a whole large pot of tea at one time for the kombucha.
    I found one of the Hamilton Beach 2-way brewers on Amazon Warehouse and ordered that, so now I use the one cup side for my coffee/Teeccino or one cup of tea, and then I use the large pot for making my tea for the kombucha (or when I need an occasional small pot of coffee that is more than one cup).
    It is working great , even though it does not have the precise heating that the little hot water kettle does, and I can just use that when I do want one cup brewed with the infuser.

In the summer, I am more apt to drink something cold than something hot; so I may be brewing a whole pot of coffee for iced coffee once the hot weather arrives. I usually have one cup of coffee in the morning, and then mixed or straight Teeccino after that, and I do not make mine nearly as strong as you do.
    I really like the chocolate mint Teeccino, and I am starting to experiment with adding some fresh mint from my garden.

9EBF404F-1066-4299-9993-2824A5AF0102.jpeg

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

I think it's their best flavor...although the Dandelion coconut is a close second.