What Kind of Coffee Maker is Best?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 2, 2015.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When you're feeling better, I wanna see pics of it disassembled.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Here ya go.
    IMG_1987.jpg

The ground coffee goes in the bottom of this, then the plunger looking thing (that is not a plunger, lol) goes over the grounds.

IMG_1988.jpg

Boiling water is then poured into the tank and the finished product drips into the bottom section. When done brewing, the top section is removed and replaced by the lid for serving.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. John Brunner

Thanks!

Pretty slick. I bet it makes the best coffee you ever had. Boiling water will do that for ya.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I like that it doesn't need paper filters, though I'm sure a filter can be used. I don't mind a little "sludge". I need to buy some fresh coffee beans but I'll probably try it out first with some McCafe ground coffee. The pot is an 8-cup and I wish it was a smaller model, but it'll work fine for smaller amounts. It's not like I'm going to use it everyday anyhow. :D

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

My Ninja and my electric percolator don't need paper filters, either. I like that. I could use filters with them but I haven't been noticing any grounds in the coffee, so there's no need to.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I finally tried out the RevereWare pot and it works very well. I had an unopened can of Cafe'duMonde coffee with chicory so I used some of that. The drip was slower than I expected which I suppose is a good thing. The coffee turned out well; one heaping coffee scoop per 8 oz of water. It is smooth and not bitter, and so far no floaties. Probably a bit of sludge in the bottom but not obvious so far.

I will prefer using this pot when our power is out. I have a Pyrex stove-top glass percolator and a Chemex pour-over pot, but I can never get the timing right on the percolator and the Chemex has to be "baby-sat" with the pour, plus requires a paper filter. It's nice to just pour the water into the tank and walk away.

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. John Brunner

I had to laugh at myself when I was seeking a mug with a lid on it to keep my coffee hot, @Yvonne Smith. My basis for comparison was the mug/diffuser/lid set that you recommended, and that keeps my drink real hot compared to my open mug. Not being able to find a set that seemed to have good ratings and that would suit my needs, I bought a second diffuser set. I know that it works well, and I figured that if I broke the lid on the first one, I'd have a backup. (As an aside, the warmer specifically says to not use an insulated mug. I guess heating the exterior vacuum shell would not be a good thing. So that limited my options for a covered mug.)

After I ordered the second set and I was enjoying a piping-hot cup of tea made in my existing set, it hit me...the brewed coffee I drink out of my open-topped coffee mug is at a temp of 177°F, while the tea and instant coffees made in the diffuser set start out at boiling (212°F.) Gee, I guess that's why the drinks out of the covered mug are hotter than the brewed coffee in the open mug. :rolleyes:

I ain't fast, but I eventually get there. And I still think there's a market for a coffee mug with a stein-like hinged lid.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

I don't know what a diffusion set is but this Stanley mug, from Amazon, keeps coffee hot for a long time. When properly closed, it won't spill if it tips over, and it's pretty stable, so that it doesn't tip over easily anyhow.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

Stanley makes good stuff, as does Aladdin (if they're still around.)

And you're right: "diffusion" just didn't sound right, but I went with it. We said diffusion as an allusion to infusion just to add to the confusion. But it wasn't a collusion.

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I ordered another one of the coffee warmers, and it was only $11 on the Amazon Warehouse. It is exactly like the last one i got, with the three temperature settings.
    I keep my mug warmer right here on my desk, so that when I am online , my coffe or tea is always nice and hot. However, when I am sitting on the Poodle Couch and reading, I sometimes want a hot cup of coffee or tea then, too, and it does not stay hot.
    I am so seriously spoiled !
    Now, I can have one on the little stand by the couch also, so I can have my mug keeping warm whichever place I am at.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  11. John Brunner

That's a good deal!!! If I had multiple parking spots, I'd do the same thing.

When yesterday's "spoiled" become today's "minimum standards," you know that life is moving in the right direction. I like being around folks who find pleasure in these things...it shows the right Life Attitude.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

5FDA182A-3E3F-41A8-B0C7-DD72C42ED7B9.jpeg Somebody gave us a little Turkish coffee maker set and a bag of Turkish coffee. I prepared it exactly as instructed. It was good, but it’s a pain if you don’t have a flame for heating because you need precise control. I couldn’t tell much difference between it and espresso (I used the remainder of the coffee in our espresso machine). The biggest difference I saw is drinking a lot of the fine grounds with the coffee. Here’s a pic of my first and only brew.

13. John Brunner

I just had my second Ninja coffee maker die on me.

I'm talking about this Model CE251:

[​IMG]

The first one just stopped working after the warranty ran out. It was as though an internal fuse had blown...there was no power. I liked it so much that I bought another one and purchased an Extended Warranty for it. That was last June. This morning I made a pot of coffee, and about an hour after it was finished the maker started beeping, and was smoking from an electrical fire in it.

These are not cheap units. My Mister Coffee makers that literally cost half the price have lasted years, not months.

I'll call Ninja on Monday to see if this is under warranty, and then call Allstate for the extended warranty coverage. This stinks. I like the features & performance (it pre-wets the grounds and gets the water hotter than a cheap unit), and I like the external water reservoir. But I can't tolerate this high failure rate at these prices.

14. Ken Anderson

I have a Ninja that has worked for quite a long time now, although I haven't used it much for the past year or so, since I bought the percolator. Now, I mostly use the Ninja to heat water for tea, or sometimes on Mondays, when I'm making coffee to bring to the recovery meeting that I facilitate, I'll use both the Ninja and the percolator. I quit using the Ninja because something went wrong once, but I don't remember what now.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

My machine started to leak when it was brewing (but did not leak when I set up a pot for the next morning and filled the reservoir.) I built a wood rack to go over a large dish to catch the runoff. When I went on the web to research the issue, I found articles on how to fix this issue with the NINJA Bar (meaning it might be a common problem with that model.) Since I have the extended warranty, I was not inclined to mess with fixing mine. I don't think the water is what shorted it out, since it was fine for quite a while after the last pot brewed and my problem with the first machine was also electrical.

I used to have a Cusinart I really liked because it brewed into a carafe that really kept the coffee hot for a long time. Hard water trashed that one (before I installed a softener), so I took it apart and found that a high-temp link had done its job and blown. Try as I might, I could not find a replacement one. I called Cusinart, but could not talk them into contacting the factory in China and getting the kid on the assembly line to shove one in an envelope and mail it to me. I don't need to repeat the experience with the Ninja.

@Krystal Shay How is your Ninja doing? I'm having some bad luck here. Do you just brew one pot a day? I'm thinking of send them an email to let them know of these repeat issues.