What Kind of Coffee Maker is Best?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a similar model to that in our RV. It doesn't have a water tank so it heats each cup of water before brewing. It looks like this...

[​IMG]

Last month my husband spent a week at our daughter's in Austin and she doesn't drink coffee. :eek: So before he left town, he went to the RV storage facility and grabbed the small Keurig and a giant box of Kirkland k-cups to survive the week. :D

Thomas Stearn and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I forgot I was going to respond to this. :D It may be that the "grate" area of the coffeemaker will slide off to accommodate large cups. That's the way the small Keurig machine is; you can just remove that piece. That feature also makes it easier to clean the occasional overflow.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have been buying the Amazon brand of k-cups for our coffee, and this time, I realized that the vanilla bean flavor that I bought before had gone up from $20+ to $30+ for the same exact amount of k-cups.
    I can get my flavored coffee really cheap at Walmart; so for $20, I ordered a small single serve coffee maker from Amazon and I can make my morning coffee with that.
    Bobby uses our regular coffee maker which makes his 12-cup pot of coffee in the morning, and then he can also make single cups (regular or k-cup) when he wants more coffee later in the afternoon.

In the summer, I usually only have about one cup of coffee in the morning, so this should work fine for me. I often have iced coffee later when it is hot; but I use instant coffee to make the iced coffee with.

CA7D9AAB-060A-476D-BA8C-77A4CDCA3011.jpeg

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have a Ninja coffee maker that I like right now.

[​IMG]

5. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

IMHO, the most delicious coffee is from a press.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

I just go back and forth on what way I want to make my coffee, it seems like. In warm weather, I barely drink one cup of coffee in the morning; but when it gets colder again, then I have coffee off and on during the day.
    I just ordered a new permanent filter that I can use for my pour-over coffee, and I think that I like how that tastes better than just using the little purple one-cup drip machine.
    This will make a larger cup, too, so I am going to fill my 20 oz stainless steel cup, and then I can warm up the coffee in my ceramic mug. I like drinking out of the ceramic mug better than the stainless steel, even though the SS keeps the coffee hot longer.

So far, Bobby has been really happy with the new percolator. It makes 12 cups, and is too heavy for me to even lift when it is full of coffee; so I have never used it at all.

F0A0D47E-5558-45BD-82D4-9376AF7DD89F.jpeg

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Reminds me of my old Melita.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yes, exactly ! I have the Melitta funnel for making one cup; but I didn’t have any more of the paper filters to use with it; so I debated on whether to buy another box of filters, or just go ahead and get the reusable metal filter.
    It looks like the bottom comes off, so it could be used inside of the Melitta funnel, or can be used without it. I am looking forward to trying it, the Amazon reviews were good.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm on my second one. The first one took a poop after less than a year (I think.) The electronics died. So mow I have a spare carafe, filter basket and water reservoir. I bought this model because the water reservoir is apart from the filter basket area...grounds are not gonna get inadvertently spilled into the reservoir and then get plugged in the machine.

Ninjas make good coffee because (a) they pre-wet the grounds, and (b) the water temp approaches that of commercial coffee machines. I think @Ken Anderson once mentioned that he has (had?) a Ninja machine.

Krystal Shay and Don Alaska like this.
  10. John Brunner

I recall the nice Farberware percolators. They were fast, and did not boil the coffee like other percolators.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

What happened to that Bonavita brewer?

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

It's sitting on the counter. I've not fired it up since the "trashed my taste buds" experience. I need to get some more decent coffee and try again.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Lemme know how that turns out. Say g'nite, Gracie. :D

14. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think mine is about 3 years old. It still works great and makes decent coffee....so far.:D

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Kind of close to our'[s. We just pour hot water over these filters as they sit on top of our cup.
    Our coffee pots didn't work long these last for years.

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.