What Is Your Oldest Appliance Or Electric/electronic Device?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Corie Henson, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have the habit of keeping old things even if they are not usable anymore. Like the old cellphones, I still keep them in our storage. But the oldest appliance we have is the Nivico black and white tv. It was bought in 1979 and it's still working although you need to connect an antenna. When our tv in the living room got busted, we called a tv technician. In a chat, my husband mentioned that black and white tv which they tested on the spot. When it worked, the technician was offering to buy it but my husband naturally declined.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Nice to keep old things - just haven't the room in a flat
    The oldest thing we have is a drill - it sounds like its being strangled !! :p Even neighbours have commented on the poor thing :D

K E Gordon and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

@Patsy Faye I believe I have the mate to that drill over here! Sounds awful, but still works, so doomed to the work bench.

Ina I. Wonder and Patsy Faye like this.
  4. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a house full of antiques, which were pieces that others in the family didn't want, or the pieces didn't fit their new modern style. Their loss and my gain. I learned a lot about refurbishing old stuff. Being poor has it's advantages. So now I have some really nice pieces at almost no cost.

One of the oldest is my father's family bible from 1820, with all the family names, births, and deaths recorded in it. But, I have to say, my favorite thing is my stove. It is a 1942 Chamber stove that I use daily. Under the griddle is a great broiler, it has three burners, and a deep well in the back. (The first slow cookers.) The top folds down to cover the burners, and provides more working space.

image.jpeg

5. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Tim Burr - well that's right, it will keep chugging and splurting along ................:p

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Ina I. Wonder - Its a great stove and well done to you, you're a little marvel when you put yer mind to it :cool: :)

K E Gordon and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  7. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Chambers. I thought that stove looked familiar. My parents had it's exact twin. We had it when we lived on our farm and later in town. It still worked and looked great when my folks upgraded to something newer. Lots of great meals come from that stove.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  8. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I have an AT&T answering machine. I can't even remember when or where I got it. It still works and is in use now. It was made in Mexico, been knocked off the desk countless times, but keeps on keeping on.
    It's exactly like this one.

th (9).jpe

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't have any gadget older than 13 years in this house. That's when we moved back to the states from Hungary
    And although I bought back a container full of crap for $5000, it was mainly my nicer furniture, our car and personal belongings.

Bought all new appliances and electronics in 2003. I had decluttered before the move and 13 years later I don't know how I have every closet filled with stuff I never use. Every time I think of it, I get depressed.

I'm getting to the point where I may just call a charity type organization and tell them to send someone over and they can pretty much take what they want.

I have a few vacuum cleaners, a brand new steamer, some other contraptions, appliances I've never used, dishes I've never used, glassware I've never used. A TV I don't use. 2 computers I don't use, along with 2 printers. The list is endless. I could set up a household for someone.
    I live alone yet I have two desks with computers on them set up and I don't even sit there, I sit in my recliner with my ipad.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

image.jpg image.jpg

My two desks...the one on top is in the room that I have my recliner in and the one on the bottom is a room I don't even use at all.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have more than a dozen working PCs, as I bought my first PC in the early 1980s. While I no longer have my first couple of PCs (Coleco Adam, TRS-80), I have many of the others, including six Gateway computers that we bought while we were running an Internet cafe. The oldest, I suppose, is a very tall 80386 computer that I built myself in the late 1980s. I imagine it still works, although I would have to take it apart and clean it before I dared starting it up as it's been sitting up in the attic for years now. I have non-electric tools that are very old, but which are still in use.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I haven't turned the one on in the den in probably 4 years, the one that has more junk on it I turned on last year.

13. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

This TV that I have hooked up in the living room is quite old. I think it dates from about 2000. I don't have a lot of old electronics though. I tend to get rid of them. I have a VCR/DVD player in the bedroom that might be old. I don't remember when I got it or who gave it to me. I don't think I bought it. My vaccum is old and I have a dustbuster that is old as well. I do have some really old things though in a storage locker in Woodbridge. OLd lamps and so forth. I haven't been in it, in a long time.

14. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My Braun Electric Razor although it's only three years old..

15. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh I know what my oldest electronic is, it is my TI 55 calculator! That was one of the reasons that I managed to get a B in statistics, in grad school, the second time around. That and old tests...:) A mathematician I am not, although I do have a very good memory, which helped immeasurably with test taking.