What Is Your All-Time Favorite Movie?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Susan Long, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

The first time I saw "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" I was only 14 and it was showing with an age restriction of 18 at the time. I've always looked young for my age and nobody would possibly have thought I was 18. Of course they questioned my age and I couldn't lie, so I'm still not sure why they let me in.

The film showed for six months in South Africa before the authorities decided that it was corrupting its audience. Then they banned it.

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I cried on The Green Mile. Tom Hanks did an amazing portrayal of his character. I have both of these movies in my library as keepers.

3. Juan Ortega

Juan Ortega Veteran Member
    Registered

My favorite movie of all time I would have to say is a very recent movie I saw. It was a thriller an action packed film. The movie is called "Wild Card" and it was worth watching. It captivates and enthralls the viewer. I was not let down by some of my favorite actors playing rolls in the film. For instance, Jason Statham was in it playing a leading role. He makes this movie as his other movies a must watch film. The movie having a wild plot with twists and turns leaving the viewer dumbfounded unable to predict what will happen next, hence the movie "Wild Card". Without going into too much detail the movie portrays the the character of Jason Statham as having a Gambling problem with financial struggles. Some other know actors in the film include Michael Angarano and SofĂ­a Vergara. The movie was one to add to the many wild classics of our time.

4. Betty Johnstone

Betty Johnstone Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh my goodness, me too. I cry every time I see the Green Mile. Both Tom Hanks and Michael Clark Duncan did awesome portrayals of their characters.!

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Betty Johnstone

Registered

I'm surprised they let you in too but maybe because you didn't lie, they gave you a break. I had no idea it was eventually banned in South Africa. That is very interesting!

6. Betty Johnstone

Registered

Its funny that we have been talking about the Shawshank Redemption. I was watching the television yesterday and a preview came up for it. Apparently it is going to be on this week, again. I bet you know what I'll be doing when it comes on. LOL

Michelle Stevens and Susan Long like this.
  7. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not sure for how long it was banned, but it has since been unbanned again. By today's standards, the movie is quite tame.

Under our previous government, things like this were quite common. Another instance was the Chris de Burgh song "Spanish Train". The album "Spanish Train and Other Stories" was rereleased here without the title track and renamed "Lonely Sky and Other Stories". Of course they couldn't get back the copies that had already been sold so I actually found myself in possession of a banned record, which wasn't something I'd have done deliberately. Unlike some of my friends, I was never a rebel.

8. Peter Remington

Peter Remington Veteran Member
    Registered

There are TWO movies tied for my all-time number one spot: Forbidden Planet (1958) and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1961). Runners up include all the Star Trek movies, the Matrix trilogy, the Mummy trilogy, the Raiders of the Lost Ark series, most all of the Marvel Super Hero movies, but NONE of the DC, the Back to the Future trilogy, most all of the James Bond movies, Lara Croft, Logan's Run, and just about anything that was made before about 1950.

Now, don't get me started on my favorite all-time TV shows!

9. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

My favorite movie will have to be "Beyond Ragoon." It is a true story of Dr. Laura Bowman, a young lady doctor who lost her family in a home invasion and talked into a trip to Asia. While in Burma (Myanmar), she gets involved with the political unrest and sees some horrible events taking place. It is a movie that still brings tears to my eyes and while I have not visited the country yet, I have been at the border and talked to some of the Burmese people. Dr. Bowman finally got out of Burma and started working at a refugee camp in Thailand. You can find out more about this movie at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Rangoon.

Susan Long likes this.
  10. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

I too enjoyed the 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' series. Harrison Ford was so believable, I was completely 'lost' in the movies. It was great fun!

11. Betty Johnstone

Registered

Oh I was a big Trekkie way back when and loved the television series (original) and all the movies. I also loved Raiders of the Lost Ark with Harrison Ford. I did like the whole series of movies but Raiders was my favorite. I never did see the Mummy trilogy but I heard it was great.

12. Peter Remington

Peter Remington Veteran Member
    Registered

@Susan and Betty; Can you guys BELIEVE that now they want to recast Indy with some kid who doesn't look tough enough to wrestle out of his hiking boots? I HATE remakes! I'd much rather just rewatch the beloved originals. And as for Star Trek, they've been trying for fifty years to equal the original series and they just can't! I've got 'em all on DVD so every time I feel like trekkin', I'm ready to go. Somehow they just never get old.

Susan Long and Betty Johnstone like this.
  13. Betty Johnstone

Registered

Oh no, I can't believe that Peter. The Indiana Jones series won't be any good with Harrison Ford. Why can't they just let the series end and leave it be instead of bringing in new people...I hate that!!! You are a lucky man to have the original Star Trek on DVD, I envy you that and agree, they never could top it even though the graphics and special effects were cheesy. It was all part of the charm of the original Star Trek :)

Peter Remington likes this.
  14. John Stone

John Stone Veteran Member
    Registered

My favorite movie of all time is a toss up between Apocalypse Now and The Godfather !. Both were directed by Coppola of course. Apocalypse Now is full of amazing scenes that seem to come out of some drug addled dream-scape. The Godfather was a game changer and spawned a whole genre of movies and TV shows that culminated for me in The Sopranos.

15. Betty Madison

Betty Madison Veteran Member
    Registered

I have too many favorite films to pick one. One that I notice new aspects of, each time I view it, is Pleasantville. The cast is superb and it works as simple commentary on retro-entertainment, however there seems to be a lot more to it than just people reacting to pop culture, or ultimately any kind of art. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but I think it's safe to say self-discovery and those who fear it, might be one of the deeper, more challenging themes in the story. I'd be curious to know what you thought of it, if you have seen it.