What Is This World Coming To? Cat Shot With Arrow!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Krissttina Isobe, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I found this in my google plus and couldn't believe it! A cat was shot with an arrow! OMG what is this world coming to!

Michigan Cat shot right in the middle of body survives. Who could be so cruel? Why did this cruelty happen? There is a reward for capture of culprit that hurt a family pet. Comments?
    [​IMG]

2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I feel quite sad when I see that cat because it looks like one that we had.
    I hope they find the person involved.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That seems to be the thing lately. A few months ago, a veterinarian shot a cat that she (says she) thought was a feral cat with a bow and arrow, and was so proud of herself that she posted a picture of herself with the dead cat on Facebook. It turned out to be a neighbor's pet. Fortunately, the state board is revoking her license to practice. Some people are simply not raised with a respect for life that was once taken for granted.

[​IMG]

4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I probably shouldn't post this but....

One of my grandsons lived in a trailer park beyond the city limits. People were moving in and out all the time. Usually, they would leave behind their cats and sometimes dogs. Stray critters were yowling, fighting and tearing apart trash bags and cans all night.

I gave my grandson an old Russian air rifle I had. He started thinning out critters. I asked what he did with the dead ones. He said if he shot 'em in a certain place, they would run about 75-100 yards then drop dead. He killed over 70 cats at last count.

Question. What are you supposed to do with strays that have got out of control and there is no one to round 'em up? They multiply out of control and no one wants them.

My daughter lives in town and is having that problem with a neighbor right now. Neighbor puts out food for the strays. Some nights, the whole yard is full of yowling, hungry cats, raccoons, possums and who knows what.

Daughter called dog catcher on her. They come by, talk to her. She nods her head, they leave. That night, same thing again.

One of my sons recently moved to a country trailer park. It was overrun with cats and they kept getting under his trailer, and were tearing up trash all over the park. Son asked the manager about the cat problem. Manager told him to shoot 'em, just don't make a lot of noise or be seen.

A neighbor once tried live trapping strays and taking them to our humane society. They wanted a cash amount for each one brought in.

That's why people kill stray cats.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't done so but rarely, but I will kill stray cats and dogs. Cats decimate the wild quail populations as well as other birds. Dogs kill more chickens, goats, and other livestock than coyotes do. Dogs also have been known to kill people.

Ike Willis likes this.
  6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Cruelty to animals has no more place in this modern society. There are advocate groups who are standing up to those cruelties. There was a man here who was jailed when he killed a neighbor's cat with a gun (not clear if bb or a real gun). There's another guy who was almost jailed for posting a picture of a dog hanging by the clothesline. The dog was given a bath and out of mischief, the boy made the dog look like laundry so he hung it in the clothesline. Fortunately the boy was a minor so he got scot free otherwise he would have earned a jail sentence.

7. Sheldon Scott

Registered

The is a big difference in eliminating animals to be rid of troublesome animals or merely to control their population, and animal cruelty. Dogs roaming in packs and cats running wild fit both categories.
    Some people are very selective. They don't mind killing rats, mice, snakes (even good snakes), and spiders, but condemn killing other animals.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I totally agree with what @Sheldon Scott is saying, and @Corie Henson is also correct that animal abuse needs to be stopped, as well.
    Cruelty to animals is a horrendous thing, and should definitely be against the law. there are some heartless people that kill or maim innocent creatures just to watch them suffer, and this is horrible.
    Even worse, are the people who torture animals for money, and by this, I am specifically thiking of the dog-fighting, and other animals that are forced to fight and kill each other just so people can make money betting on it.

However, this is a totally different thing than eliminating feral animals that are attacking and killing livestock or pets, and even people.
    In the country, there is a problem with dogs (especially in packs) that run down and slaughter deer. Any dog that is seen chasing a deer is very likely to be shot and killed with no questions asked.

Many years ago, I had a good friend who raised sheep, and he had to guard his herd from marauding dogs. Sometimes, he would find some poor sheep that had been chewed up, partially eaten, and left dying out in the pasture. This is a horrible way for any creature to die, and these dogs that attack livestock need to be killed, or stopped in some way.

Feral cats are also a problem, and they are often found in towns and large cities, where people just move out and abandon the cats. The ones that survive become wild, and their offspring are completely feral. These cats will attack a pet cat if given a chance; or small creatures like rabbits and chickens.

Basically, it is similar to the situation with people who are killers; they take innocent lives, and cannot just be left to exist in society. Humans can be imprisoned; but for an animal who has become a predator; they simply need to be eliminated.

Ike Willis likes this.
  9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We have a neighbor here, she's actually my friend since we moved here in this village in 2001. Just recently, I got to know that she has more than 30 cats who are loose. So those cats on our roof at night belonged to her. What can we do? My husband would throw water on those cats rambling on our roof often after dinner time. It's not easy to drive them away. But if we ignore them, they would make a racket when we are asleep. It's not a good feeling to be disturbed at bedtime. We had to buy a long garden hose so next time that the cats go on promenading on our roof, my husband would just train the hose. That did it. Now the cats rarely visit our place.

But the problem is not solved because some other neighbors are complaining. I don't know how to handle this case.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Somehow, I have managed to survive for more than sixty-four years without ever having lived anywhere where I might have felt the need to exterminate cats, and I certainly have not lived in the best of neighborhoods.

11. Sheldon Scott

Registered

You've probably had good neighbors who took care of the cats for you.:)

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Got a little "carried away" with my previous post, so am redoing some of it.

Ok, during my Junior High and High School years, I was raised on a small hog farm in northeastern Indiana. I don't know if anyone on this forum was raised on a farm or ranch, but certain animals and birds are destructive to farms. Bats.......one flew into my step-mom's hair while she was in the basement and, luckily, my step-dad had just got home, heard her scream, jerked the bat out of her hair and killed it. He would keep his shotgun handy in case any bats were seen around the barn at night. Sparrows.......crap all over farm equipment and I my step-dad told me I could kill all that I could see during the day or at night with a Daisy Pump BB gun that I got for a birthday.

I've seen a number of things in farming that would generally pi** off some of you, but that is because you weren't raised around on one or, if you were, didn't work it like I did. There are plenty of kids that loved farming and those that didn't. I wouldn't say that I "loved it", but I sure didn't hate it.

It is very true that stray cats and dogs can/do become a nuisance and sometimes things have to be done to get rid of that "nuisance".

As far as animal cruelty, dealing with home pets, there is absolutely no way I believe in it. I use to watch ASPCA Police on tv and loved it when they'd arrest someone for how they treated pets.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    Sheldon Scott and Ike Willis like this.
  13. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Add the complaints from the wives who are sick of working their flower beds that have become litter boxes for all the neighborhood strays. A large mobile home park can become awash with stray cats, dogs and other critters very quickly.

Sheldon Scott likes this.